alsa silver crystal pearl over black base then blood red candy clear Magenta problem? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2012, 02:59 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

alsa silver crystal pearl over black base then blood red candy clear Magenta problem?

I hope somebody can help me figure this out. I have been painting a few years. I get down to a mirror gloss black with zero problem. Ive been trying to get that deep gloss black and red shimmer on the area reflected off sun. Major problems!! My first one was some custom shop crystal diamond pearl powder. After a perfect mirror black single stage with a few coats of clear (pcl polyurethane, same formula color and clear, same hardner used) so then on top of my perfect clear I sand down to stick down a coat of the pearl (ruby red) mixed with their intercoat clear. Then shot some more single stage clear over that. cut n buffed. Very brilliant results with the effect I was looking for but the more I looked at it the less red it looked,,, Magenta! My gf and her daubter say it's really pretty but purple??? NOT FUNNY!!!
Attempt two- Spend the money, got some alsa crystal pearl in silver. Put it over my black with clear and WOW what a diference! These crystals are amazing! Black and silver pearl I almost didn't want to go with red. I got some blood red candy from alsa. I mixed and shot 3 coats with the red candy in clear over the silver pearl which was over the clear wich was over my black. I was so excited at the way it was turning out but a day or two later, it was the same magenta/purplish color as the other bike, just more brilliant.

I tried a pinch of pearl and heavuy blood, visa versa, same result. So They must tint my black with blue to perhaps kill the brown for a deeper black... because the magenta color I see is from a mix of blue and red. So I dig up some ppg omni black. Did the same thing on a test panel... same thing. I shot some rustoleum and some other aresol blacks and now everything in and around my house is purple and Im going insane!
The blood red looks red when in my clear. Very deep red like blood. I have some candy yellow Im going to try to spray over it and then hit it with more red and hope this will kill the blue that is making my life turn purple. I love this silver pearl but maybe gold pearl will give me red,,, Im gona try and take and uploads pics for you all.
It looks ten miles deep and is beutiful but im not a magenta, purple, red violet kind of man.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2012, 08:15 AM
Colorsanding painter

Last photo:

I'll avoid the irreverent comments about Hello Kitty stickers to finish the purple theme. I'm kind of anxious to see the results thus far.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:27 PM

Last photo:

DON'T say H***K****!!!!!!!!!! My girlfriend is Asian...EVERYTHING is HK.
I feel for the OP. What if you shoot a larger black test panel; and mask it off in a gradient?
IE spray the whole panel with 1 coat, mask off the farthest pane to the right, spray 2nd coat. Now mask the 2nd to last pane to the right (you now have the last 2 panes covered; 1 with 1 coat and 1 with 2 coats). Using this technique you can dial it in a little bit. I bet Tucson Jay will have some insight or Old Fool.

I wonder if you used the red on the black first; see what you get, then adjust either silver or gold on top.
The Following User Says Thank You to AutoGear For This Useful Post:
cyclopsblown34 (07-24-2012)
Old 07-25-2012, 02:22 PM

[QUOTE=

I wonder if you used the red on the black first; see what you get, then adjust either silver or gold on top.[/QUOTE]

Thank you! I will try that on my next test panel. So single stage, clear, candy mixed with clear, clear and silver pearl, clear and candy mix, then clear.
Today my candy yellow and rootbeer and black cherry candies will arive. I know its not the same, but I took a good pic in daylaight, opened in photoshop, went over it with yellow airbrush lightly, and it was like spraying bright red that was red for real. I doubt this will work this good with candy paint. I will get some pics up.
Btw, I have seen lots of amazing purple, violets, magenta, etc paint jobs that I loved on Harleys, hot rods, etc. nothing against it... Just doesn't suit an old sportsbike imo.
Old 07-28-2012, 01:08 PM

Solved

I went with a diferent brand and switched to candy apple hok. It retoned the purple to orangeish red. I added some rootbeer and more red, its not fire bright red. I gave up trying to get a picture of it,,, it would come out looking a diferent color every time, none of which was close.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.