Altenator Upgrade - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2003, 12:07 PM
British Style with USA Muscle

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Post Altenator Upgrade

I'm looking to upgrade my altenator on my engine. It has a 61A stamped on the top. I want to upgrade to an 83 amp or larger. Is their any connection problems with wiring?

Regards
Mark

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2003, 03:06 PM

Interesting that you should ask. I just finished up grading from a 62 amp 1 wire to a 94 amp 3 wire on my 48 aero with a LT1. I saw a post about MAD Enterprises @ madelectrical.com, and am thrilled that I did. By using the 3 wire alt and power distribution posts to monitor from, my electrical system is very strong, putting out 13.5 volts with everything going (ac,elect fan,headlights,and radio). My system use to drop to 10.5 to 11.volts with all that going. Also check out the headlight relays. I did it all and am very happy. Study his web site, I read it all several times until I throughly understood it all before retrofitting. The guy's name is Mark, he's great to talk to, and also very helpful. I could have done the changes mylself, using my stuff, but chose to buy his kits. They are reasonable and he has some tricks and info that's not on line. It's worth the money.
Old 06-03-2003, 05:34 PM
Acoustic Rock ... for real.

Last journal entry: About Fusible Links
Last photo:

Hey, 48Man

You did the headlight relays? What's your reaction? I've been hemming and hawing over that one - looks like a serious improvement, but it sure would help to hear a first hand experience and comparison, before & after results.

Thanks.

Alan Horvath
<a href="http://AlanHorvath.com/54chevy/" target="_blank">54 Chevy Pickup</a>
Old 06-03-2003, 05:41 PM
British Style with USA Muscle

Last photo:

Horvath:
I have a wiring diagram for headlight relays, I'm going to be using a modified version for the Jag. I found a GREAT source for bosch style relays for .99 each. If you guys are interested I'll post it up

Regards
Mark
Old 06-03-2003, 11:45 PM

Alan, The headlight improvment was good. Before: key off headlights on 9.85 volts at the headlight; After: key off headlights on 11.97 v. I jumped from the power post I installed earlier that supplied dash and battery charging, to another power post. This one supplies both headlights and elect fan relays. This gives me 13.5 to 14.2 at above idle at headlights, much brighter. I'm going to do 1 more relay for my A/C from another power post I'm installing inside the car. That should unload my fuse box supply and everything should be happy with lots of power even at idle. I didn't post it earlier but I have a painless wire harness. Thanks for the interest. Jesse

[ June 04, 2003: Message edited by: 48Man ]</p>
Old 06-05-2003, 06:46 PM
Truck - '49...Driver - '47

Last photo:

Jesse-
I just finished installing the "New System" from MAD Electrical in my '49 Chevy Truck. I'm like you I could have done it with what I had but after learning so much from his Web site I felt like I owed him. The instruction manuals that come with the various kits explain more than I would think to ask. I had sent a post to Alan Hovarth last night about my headlights, He was asking about the relays. My voltages are right up there with yours. I told Alan that I'm just getting the truck together so I don't have anything to compare them with but I'd guess that the improvement was just as dramatic.
I put two terminal blocks under the hood and am going to put two more under the dash. I put a couple of pictures in my album, check them out, It sure does clean up under the hood.
Ed

[ June 05, 2003: Message edited by: hiimed ]</p>
Old 06-07-2003, 07:27 PM

Ed

Just as a follow up. Yesterday I installed another relay for my A/C. It is amazing how much stronger the blower works now. As a side benifit my volt meter on the dash now reads 12 volts at idle with A/C,rad fan,fuel pump,and headlights on. I now consider the electrical part of the car done. Next, engine cooling.

Jesse

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.