alternative brands to expensive custom paints - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2006, 02:57 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I've used most all of them on the market, and when I used Kirker it would look great, but, in about 18 months it would look like the old dulux enamel, all chalked and starting to craze. Now that was about ten years ago, so it may be better now, when I used it, it was a good cheap paint to put on used cars that you would never see again. Just my experience, sorry if I have offended anyone. John

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2006, 04:23 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcway
I see some people still have their heads firmly planted up BarryK's *****. I'd like to know what he's done to get a free ride when it comes to advertising He and his cronies take over a forum, promoting his products and gets away with it. What proof do any of you have that SPI is such a great product? Because BarryK and a select few that follow him around to other forums say so? Where are the longevity tests that are so critical to a good paint?

Well, I have a lot more to say, but seeing that this post will probably be deleted very shortly, I won't waste my time. I used to have a good laugh everyday reading the SPI commercials but I've had enough
I will not edit your post other than to remove the rather juvenile profanity. However, I will offer these observations.

It seems you have a distinct dislike for SPI or anyone who uses this paint line. That's fine but understand this...... BarryK does not advertise his products on this forum. We have specific rules against people who are connected with a product advertising it on the forums. There are a number of people here that use his products and often discuss them. Barry will join these conversations but is very careful NOT to advertise because he knows the rules. If you can't understand the difference between advertising and answering technical questions then I strongly suggest finding another place to hang out.

Finally, your tone tells me you are one of the "Kirker Klan" that invaded this forum a while back. If you are let me warn you right now: If you have a paint line you like, fine.... tell us about it and tell us specifically why you like it so much. If you can't do that without bashing another product, or if we find that you are connected with the product you're advocating then you can expect your posts to be deleted or edited. If that's not acceptable, do everyone a favor and hit the road.
Old 06-11-2006, 09:02 PM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last journal entry: Strangest job I've ever done
Last photo:

FYI, I shoot mainly Dupont.
When ALL you ever read or hear about is GOOD for a product, You naturally will be interested in using it. Be it SPI or whatever. Main reason HOK got so popular.Great product from a guy up North who started out small and word got around how good his paint was. Sad thing is,it's owned buy Corperate now and IMO the quality is showing. I've read and talked with more and more painters who are having some major problems with it. So word IS getting around.
Problem with Kirker would be the opposite it appears to me. More bad than good. My advice to these Kirker guy's would be to,
SHOW me what your stuff does. Let's SEE some of your Custom jobs.
Put up or Shut up.
As far as being someones "cronies", these cronies are for the most part,WELL RESPECTED professionals who do some of the BEST paint work around.
I'll be using SPI completly on my current job and form my OWN oppinion of SPI. Believe me, IF I have any "issues" with the product,I will be making it known.
Good or Bad.

As for my air set up, It's ALL 3/8". I went to this a couple of years back.
I just have not had or really taken the time to learn the gun and that's MY fault. But it will get a work out soon. Thanks for the tip though.
Old 06-11-2006, 09:42 PM
point on positive

Last photo:

If ya paint smaller stuff you can get more projects out of a pint/quart of what ever it is you spray ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wetpaint2.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	12735  
Old 06-12-2006, 01:02 AM
X711

Last photo:

I think the Valspar product line is good value for money. The technology
behind it is pretty good. They reciently added a line of pearls of various colors
so custom work will be easier or atleast offer more options to the mix.

Across all paint lines today, most are pretty similar. Some ya pay for the marketing effort, some ya dont.

IMHO even the lower cost urethane based stuff of today is good, compaired to the higher end enamel of 10 years ago.

><
Old 06-12-2006, 11:04 AM

Last journal entry: 99 soft tail standard I painted
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcway
I see some people still have their heads firmly planted up *********. I'd like to know what he's done to get a free ride when it comes to advertising He and his cronies take over a forum, promoting his products and gets away with it. What proof do any of you have that SPI is such a great product? Because BarryK and a select few that follow him around to other forums say so? Where are the longevity tests that are so critical to a good paint?

Well, I have a lot more to say, but seeing that this post will probably be deleted very shortly, I won't waste my time. I used to have a good laugh everyday reading the SPI commercials but I've had enough
I have never used SPI,with that said I have talked to Barry on the phone several times and he has always helped me out with what ever info I needed,on any product I was useing.Do us all a favor,post something relavant,or hit the road.BTW.....if you are on the right ocean,stop by my shop some time.....we can talk this out in person........
Old 06-12-2006, 11:21 AM
The Penny Pincher

Last journal entry: Hanging Bumpers
Last photo:

Kirker??????
I want everyone to know, I had nothing to do with this thread.

My paint failures are my fault, I don't know what I'm doing
and I'm not very smart.
I've been screwing up for 30 yrs now.

See BondoKing for answers.
Old 06-12-2006, 11:34 AM
The Penny Pincher

Last journal entry: Hanging Bumpers
Last photo:

The only real test of the quality level of paint is time.
Show me a paint that's got at least 3 yrs on it and then
I'll consider it.
3 yrs is the benchmark for me, I've been fixing a lot of collision
repairs that looked perfect when first done, but now, 3 yrs later blend lines
reappear, clear delaminates, and all kinds of things show up.

Just because a car has a glass smooth finish after spraying doesn't
mean it's a quality paint job that will hold up, lacquer can do that.
My own Kirker mess looked perfect for the first 3 yrs, then went to hell
in a hurry, (I thought it was "high quality" too)
Most people pushing a cheap product on here has just started
painting and has no idea how it's going to hold up but are quick to
defend it by showing a buffed out car, nice and shiney, Really
amazing.
Old 06-12-2006, 01:09 PM

Last photo:

I am not going to comment on the quality of any paint brand, like Kirker, that I have never used because I don't know how good or bad it may be but I can't help but notice that a lot of the time when the subject of Kirker comes up some of the people who are trying to push it resort to name calling and crude remarks. Hey if you like the stuff then tell us so and tell us what you like about it but bad-mouthing another product and resorting to name calling and crude remarks is not going to win over anyone and in fact will just have the opposite effect. If Kirker has an unjustly earned bad reputation here it is because of the crude and insulting attitude of some of the people who have tried to push it. No one is going to try a product because they have been told that they have their head up ******* for using another product that they tried and like and I truly believe that most people who have not used Kirker are going to be very negatively influenced by this type of attitude.
Old 06-12-2006, 01:28 PM

Last photo:

SPI "custom"?

How does SPI fit into this?
All they make is primers and clears. Sorry, they do make black and white topcoat.
As Chris farley used to say, "Whoopie de freakin' do!"
That's not custom paint.
Old 06-12-2006, 04:27 PM

Last photo:

The omni single stage urethane on one of my cars has 5 years on it, no real loss of gloss or adhesion in any places. I have some rust coming back through the worst being on the rockers where I didn't even really notice anything to take care of. They must of been rusty inside and waiting to come through. I got lazy and just filled some of the holes with fiberglass filler. It was an older gm paint peeler and very rusty. I didn't want to spend a ton on material, considering what the value on the car would be, and the amount of rust on it. It was stripped to metal and I skipped the epoxy and sprayed a few coats of marhyde high build urethane over the whole car and painted over that. The marhyde primer is around 60 bucks for the gallon, the omni about 100 a gallon with the activator. Pretty user friendly if you don't rush things. I painted white and it covered well. Had a few problems with omni base before getting coverage though, but then again, dbc had some pretty poor coverage on a light green I sprayed. The products are not failing, and the rust that is coming back isn't the products fault. If I only got three years out of a paint, I would be real dissappointed. I would want at least 5 or 6 out of a lower line, and over 10 using higher priced products. Most things I have painted though, I have not seen again that far down the road. I've read too many post of problems they've had using kirker to consider using it, and if they don't give customer support when someone has a problem, I don't see why I would want to use it. I've used Limco, Omni and other lower priced products. I haven't had many problems other then coverage of the base, and it does look pretty good when done. I know the results with these, so no reason to really try kirker when I've have read people say they had issues with it, and isn't really that much cheaper then what I've been using if I am going for a lower line. Plus the omni or limco and marhyde I can just run across town to buy.
Old 06-12-2006, 04:38 PM

Last photo:

Unless its this part of it milo.

What a pita to paint. I would think twice next time.

Last edited by kenseth17; 06-12-2006 at 04:46 PM.
Old 06-12-2006, 04:53 PM
point on positive

Last photo:

that's raising the bar ..

Old 06-12-2006, 07:31 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrot
How does SPI fit into this?
All they make is primers and clears. Sorry, they do make black and white topcoat.
As Chris farley used to say, "Whoopie de freakin' do!"
That's not custom paint.
Now that is a real intelligent post.
If you are going to post something, atleast get it accurate. SPI happens to carry several colors of BASECOATS.

I didn't realize that Kirker carried custom paints. Of course, that was until I read that other post where the user ended up with a "custom" job after using it, because of the darker spots. Now that may have been a problem with the way he used it, but I don't know that their tech personell have determined that. I am guessing that they do have a tech department!

Aaron
Old 06-12-2006, 08:12 PM

Last photo:

Spi

OK, I can't argue with the "wait 3 years" statement, but after reading all of the pro's on here that talked nothing but good about SPI, I called Barry and talked to him on his cell phone a couple of times. Customer service beyond belief! So I bought some of the SPI epoxy primer and high build primer.

I have a guy who has worked in a body shop for well over 20 years helping me for some cash now and then. My body shop guy has been very impressed with the SPI primers. He's had to work with them in a variety of ways moving forward and backwards fixing some of my screw ups. He's said many good things about the products and nothing bad. I'm sure he'll be telling people about SPI.

I'll let you know later what he said about the base coats, as I have some of that and a couple gallons of clear as well now.

Long live customer service, quality and American small businesses. Oh, and if you value your freedom of choice, thank a vet.... you're welcome in advance

Steve

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.