alternative brands to expensive custom paints - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2006, 08:22 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

you know it has been a few months atleast since i have been here to hotrodders and now months later i check back in and everyone is still talking about the same old thing. talk about beating a horse to death. somethings never change!!!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2006, 08:35 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcleanr6
somethings never change!!!

I think it was Mark Twain that said "Facts are stubborn things" ?...or something like that.

Steve
Old 06-13-2006, 07:00 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

use a less than top shelf product on a 10k paint job and you may get an expensive education. i've read all the post and opinions on spi from some of the painters here and elsewhere. still that did not sway me. i only decides to use it on the 57 vette after talking with barry for a good while on the phone. had he tried to blow smoke up my butt i would have passed. believe me i had him on the ropes for a while. i find him to be honest and very up to date on resins. call a dupont or ppg rep and listen to them read from their manual. kirker has been around since moby dick was a minnow. it has it's market . we tried it in the 70's in the custom van industry but it failed to perform as did many others. ignore cost and pay attention to quality.
Old 06-13-2006, 08:21 AM
KING OF BONDO

Last journal entry: My little helper
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58Apache

Long live customer service, quality and American small businesses. Oh, and if you value your freedom of choice, thank a vet.... you're welcome in advance

Steve
HELL YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-02-2006, 03:32 AM

Custom Paints

Anything made from high grade raw materials is usually (but not always) more expensive, some paints cost a lot of money and are of poor quality (lots of hype!) so you do need to shop around. ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************** They tell me the web site is due in a few weeks address is: ***************** Many of the products are technically superb and have passed strenuous laboratory tests.

Last edited by Centerline; 04-07-2008 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Advertising. Please see: commercial posting guidelines.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:16 PM

DNA Paints vs Others Custom Paints

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuxluv
what paint companies are available as an alternative to the high paint prices of house of color and or alsa custom paints?
Hey, I have tried tunz of different brands of paints. It seems most of em are imported from USA. But I have been playing with DNA paints lately and have been getting some awesome results!! and the price also makes me smile as those imported paints cost a bit much. see what ya think?
[URL=***********************[/URL]
(STEVE IRWIN - RIP)

Last edited by Centerline; 04-07-2008 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Advertising. Please see: commercial posting guidelines.
Old 09-21-2006, 01:46 PM
Rust makes me cuss

Last journal entry: Subaru Van
Last photo:

Those DNA paints look pretty neat. Is there a USA dist. yet ?
Old 09-21-2006, 04:52 PM

Alternative paint brands

I,m not sure if there is a US distributor?
I guess you could send em an email via their site and ask?
Old 09-21-2006, 05:41 PM
GothRod87

damn

i really dig that paint...exspecially the black cchrome...that be ****** to flame a black rod with that stuff
GOTHROD
Old 09-21-2006, 06:26 PM

Candy ColorZ

Candy is the most difficult stuff to apply, if you take a look at the dna High deinition Inter Coat it is a clear binder specially formulated to use with Candy and among its may superb qualities is that you can re-apply within 48 hours without scuffing and still get full adhesion. ****************************** This stuff is awesome and has high UV qualities which are so important with Candies. The single best suggestion for applying a Candy is to practice and use the correct gu, the Iwata W400WB is one of the best available and the atomisation, fan adjustments make applying Candy much easier. The gun is not the cheapest but the difference is huge.

Last edited by Centerline; 04-07-2008 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Advertising. Please see: commercial posting guidelines.
Old 09-22-2006, 08:13 PM

Last photo:

The cost of quality paints is not from the manufacture, it is from your local jobber. Mark up on paint is like mark up on jewlery about 100%. Sure quality paint such as PPG ( what I use) and dupont is expensive, but you get what you pay for. Just like a paint job, lets say i want $6,000.00, but you have this friend who knows a guy that will do that thing fo $2,000.00, in about three months you'll be sorry, but with the guy that did know his stuff, the paint job will last for years. Peice of mind is worth alot. The shine will be there long after the price is forgotten! Keep that in mind.
Old 09-23-2006, 05:02 AM

The quality of the job is 90% dependant on the quality of the painter. Never trust your beast to any old hack with a gun or brush! So never try and save money by shopping around for the cheapest quote you can get, you will be sorry. However it is nice to save money where you can. Most quality paints can be purchased online at prices that are less than it is from jobbers. I know what products I like and use so I now purchase 90% off the net and save heaps. I think as long as you dont buy "crap" most guys are happy for you to supply your own quality chossen custom paints for them to use.
Old 09-23-2006, 08:14 AM

Last journal entry: A few more
Last photo:

I'd like to know where some people get their facts from. A comment that the jobbers make all the big bucks off paint and jack it up 100% is a crock. If you feel you are getting screwed on prices then you better shop around. But to put all jobbers into one category is nothing short of ignorant.Cheers!!
Old 09-23-2006, 05:44 PM

Last photo:

Maybe someone can answer this.
Has the price of paint skyrocketed like the price of gasoline recently, or has it gone up gradually with inflation?
Someone is making a lot of money somewhere.
Old 09-23-2006, 05:50 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

I don't know if it "skyrocketed" like the gas did. Here, gas has gone down lately. I'm sure paint hasn't!

Aaron

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.