alternative brands to expensive custom paints - Page 4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2006, 02:32 AM

Last journal entry: A few more
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Scrot; I don't know about price hikes in the US but PPG and Dupont has had at least two this year alone here in Canada. Not only has the price of gas gone down but our dollar has gone up about 25 cents compared to the US dollar. It is at about .90 cents. Has prices gone down? No friggin way. So who is benefiting from this? It ain't the JOBBERS. Its the companies and their distributors. Oh and by the way. SPI has only had three increases in seven years. How many have the big shooters had in seven years. Nobody can sell me on that crap that you have to spend big bucks to get a product that won't lose its shine in a few months. Not directing this at you Scrot. Just p****s me off when someone doesn't know sheep s**t from cherry pits. Cheers!!!!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2006, 05:25 PM

Why paints cost so much, especially from the US?

The reasons why paints cost so much from the US, especially when brought over to us in Australia, is because of the freight costs, the taxes and custom duties as well as the DG rating. The DG rating or "Dangerous Goods" is the most important factor.

Every country is different and heavily ruled through legislation, in America, there are practically none; therefore courier companies such as DHL, TNT, UPS, Fedex or which ever; are permitted to send DG goods to anywhere in the world without paying extra by the time they enter any country.

However, it is very much different for us or the wholesalers to do the same, especially over here in Australia. All of the courier companies as abovementioned, will not touch DG goods, especially of Class 3; they only touch Class 9. In order to obtain the goods, they would have to go through a DG freight company, which is the sole reason as to why a majority of American imported paints are so expensive.
Old 10-26-2006, 05:39 PM

re: alternative brands to expensive custom paints

According to my researched information, there are various paints on the market through somewhat reputable distributors and manufacturers in our country, especially of those who are well known and also disliked, especially PPG, House of Kolor, PTW, DNA Paints and Alsa.

I've tried every single one of the above, The only paint products that I found to be good, was especially House of Kolor and Alsa paints. Although, House of Kolor lacked variety, but are still superior to that of PPG, PTW and DNA Paints. I've found some of the pigments from the House of Kolor range to be much more durable than those abovementioned. However, I am starting to like Alsa's range also; the distributor has supplied me with ongoing support and their customer service is absolutely fantastic.

I know that some of the other places are cheaper, especially DNA-Paints, PPG; however I've heard a lot of rumours floating around the country, especially about many customers have had problematic issues especially with PPG, PTW and DNA-Paints. It seems to me that for most of the problems are incorrect application guides, that product has expired, and so forth.
Old 10-27-2006, 04:52 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46chevyfleetline
I'd like to know where some people get their facts from. A comment that the jobbers make all the big bucks off paint and jack it up 100% is a crock. If you feel you are getting screwed on prices then you better shop around. But to put all jobbers into one category is nothing short of ignorant.Cheers!!
Take it easy there bloke, I was merely saying that jobbers mark up the paint, if they didn't they wouldn't make any money, and the one jobber that we have, has a monoply going! Sorry to hear about Steve Irwin, we loved the guy! Oh by the way, I'm not ignorant, I have been painting cars for over 26 years, and used just about everything on the market. I just prefer PPG over the rest, in as far as matching paint on new cars, they are the best hands down, and they have tons of custom paints and pearls. HOC is good too, if you are just doing custom work. Cheers!

Last edited by wildbillrox; 10-27-2006 at 05:04 AM.
Old 11-16-2006, 07:07 PM

alternative brands to expensive custom paints

Re: winstone post 10-27-2006

I find it difficult to believe you find PPG & DNA paints application instructions unclear, I have had no such problems, quite the opposite in fact. I find them very good, as long as you follow them. If your experience is otherwise, so be it.
10-27-06 You said you had tested all of the brands you listed.
What product and how did you test PTW paint when there is no such brand of paint?
Everyone is free to have an opinion and talk about their highs and lows of Rodding and custom painting, but try and stick to facts and not make things up to suit a possible third parties agenda. I think you should question some of the motives behind some of those rumors you have been listening to. I heard that Elvis is still alive. Remember to listen to positive stories also. It is murpheys law that when somone stuffs up a paint job, 99% of the time they blame everyone else and product failures and will not admit their own mistakes. PPG didn't get where they are today be selling crap.
Old 11-16-2006, 07:49 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtisticDog
Re: winstone post 10-27-2006

I find it difficult to believe you find PPG & DNA paints application instructions unclear, I have had no such problems, quite the opposite in fact. I find them very good, as long as you follow them. If your experience is otherwise, so be it.
10-27-06 You said you had tested all of the brands you listed.
What product and how did you test PTW paint when there is no such brand of paint?
Everyone is free to have an opinion and talk about their highs and lows of Rodding and custom painting, but try and stick to facts and not make things up to suit a possible third parties agenda. I think you should question some of the motives behind some of those rumors you have been listening to. I heard that Elvis is still alive. Remember to listen to positive stories also. It is murpheys law that when somone stuffs up a paint job, 99% of the time they blame everyone else and product failures and will not admit their own mistakes. PPG didn't get where they are today be selling crap.
Here, Here, well said!

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.