alternative brands to expensive custom paints - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2006, 11:22 AM
Worlds Quickest Luv Truck

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

alternative brands to expensive custom paints

what paint companies are available as an alternative to the high paint prices of house of color and or alsa custom paints?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2006, 11:32 AM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last journal entry: Strangest job I've ever done
Last photo:

None really. There is a reason why they cost and it's just part of the "game" if you want to play. Even PPG & Dupont's custom or top lines are expensive.
Google Xotic's line. They are supposed to be compairable to HOK but I've not used any.
Maybe "someday" SPI will have some.
Go Barry,Go Barry.
Old 06-09-2006, 02:07 PM

Last photo:

SEM has candy concentrates and some other special effect offerings at reasonable prices
Old 06-09-2006, 02:40 PM

Check SEM Color Horizons http://www.sem.ws/category.php?category_id=37 and Autoair http://www.autoaircolors.com/

Both have a good variety of custom colours with candy, pearls, flakes, etc. If you don't know, Autoair is a waterbased basecoat that you apply a regular clearcoat over.
Old 06-09-2006, 05:03 PM

custom paint

Check out the current issue of Hot Rod----the cobras done for the Quaker State challenge were done by 4 different shops from different parts of the country ( weather etc.) and all used Auto Air Colors custom paint.I've used it quite alot and the results are excellent.The cost is beyond resonable but FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS its application is different than spraying the other brands of custom paint.
Good Luck
Old 06-09-2006, 06:58 PM

Last photo:

wow its been a long time since i have been here!! anyway i have always thought hok was reasonable. every time i try something else or a major brand it ends up being twice as much. i tried auto air and just cant get into it. its has been a while since i tried it so maybe i should give it another chance. it was rubbery, had poor adhesion and was impossible to do real detailed airbrushing with. like i said though last itme i used it was over 3 years ago.

hey bee, dont see you on the spi forum anymore.
Old 06-09-2006, 08:58 PM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last photo:

I'm there Jim, I just use my real name.
Mike K.

Auto air is a crap shoot IMO and a LOT of the GOOD airbrush guys still have adhesion issues with it.It's a good product but still going thru it's learning curve. Blake at Cross Eyed uses it a lot and does some amazing work but it still has a way to go yet to equal Uro's in ease of use.
Try using some Fantastic in the water for reducer Jim. Yeah, The household cleaner.They are getting a better reducer out but like I said. It's still early for a LONG lasting product.

SEM is coming along as well, I use some of their kandy concentraits and they had some BIG problems with one of their employee/chemists but that was taken care of and therir product is getting favorable reviews. It's a tad cheaper than HOK and getting better everyday.
But still,
Custom paint is going to cost just because of the nature,C-U-S-T-O-M.....=
M-O-N-E-Y......

Last edited by Bee4Me; 06-09-2006 at 09:06 PM.
Old 06-10-2006, 05:24 AM

Last photo:

haaaaa!!! thats funny, i had no idea that was you. to much fumes i guess.
Old 06-10-2006, 08:09 AM

Last photo:

me neither haha, Mike I ordered you a 1.4 Iwata fluid tip awhile back when you said you needed one but I think the kid at the Auto Value store dropped the ball and didn't call it in. Do you still need one? Bob
Old 06-10-2006, 08:52 AM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last photo:

Dang, I could have REALLY screwed with you guys.
I can't believe you didn't know it "was" me from all the dumb questions i been asking. Hehehe...

YES!!!! Bob. I still want the 1.4 nozzle "IF" it's at a good price.
Please PM me with a price if you get one.

I got turned loose back in the "oops" paint at the store yesterday and drug home a buttload of screwed up color matchs in Chromabase & Nason for free so I'm going to either figure out "how" to make this SataJet 90 RP-2 spray paint without wasting it or sell the thing. I did get some good advice on it though from someone who uses one so there may be hope for it yet.
Old 06-11-2006, 07:32 AM

Last photo:

Mike, I'll follow up on the fluid tip. All of the Sata guns need high flow fittings to spray right, even the older non HVLP models shoot better with the larger fittings. Bob
Old 06-11-2006, 10:10 AM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Listen to Bob on that one. When I switched to Sata I had fits until someone told me about high flow fittings. Really the difference between unusable and good.

As far as HOK pricing... it really deprends where you buy it. My first Kandy job was when I was 16. The topcoat materials cost me about $800.00. You can buy them now for half that. And that was a long time ago.

Larry
Old 06-11-2006, 01:42 PM
KING OF BONDO

Last journal entry: My little helper
Last photo:

Personally I use the Kirker candys etc... thinking of just using the lazer dry with AE and using their clear ... Man that would really cut down my material cost.. But first I think I will make my own bodyfiller and epoxy..pretty simple so I hear

Besides they been around a long time, they have to be good
Old 06-11-2006, 02:13 PM

I see some people still have their heads firmly planted up *********. I'd like to know what he's done to get a free ride when it comes to advertising He and his cronies take over a forum, promoting his products and gets away with it. What proof do any of you have that SPI is such a great product? Because BarryK and a select few that follow him around to other forums say so? Where are the longevity tests that are so critical to a good paint?

Well, I have a lot more to say, but seeing that this post will probably be deleted very shortly, I won't waste my time. I used to have a good laugh everyday reading the SPI commercials but I've had enough

Last edited by Centerline; 06-11-2006 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Profanity
Old 06-11-2006, 02:33 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcway
I see some people still have their heads firmly planted up BarryK's *****. I'd like to know what he's done to get a free ride when it comes to advertising He and his cronies take over a forum, promoting his products and gets away with it. What proof do any of you have that SPI is such a great product? Because BarryK and a select few that follow him around to other forums say so? Where are the longevity tests that are so critical to a good paint?

Well, I have a lot more to say, but seeing that this post will probably be deleted very shortly, I won't waste my time. I used to have a good laugh everyday reading the SPI commercials but I've had enough
================================================== ==
Sorry you feel this way and I never pay no attention to the Kirker, like I don;t to Omni or Nason.

I can't control what people post but The three above are not competitors to SPI in the least, they go after their market and I go after mine, let see 60% of our business is custom and restorers and we have had eight cars in Hot Rod alone this year. Five in the last issue, (4 cobras and the blue stang used as advertising for UTI.)

I have never seen a body shop use Kirkers so I really know nothing about the line except what i hear from other people in the industry that I deal with guess I just call on the wrong 800 shops last year but I consider them no competition at all so I guess your confused.
I really doubt they consider me competition either.

27 cars that "I know of" went through Barrett in AZ at the last auction, 4 cars at Pebble beach think what you want but when we make a product we never test to compare to the lower grades at all, MS was a copy to start with years ago of MS Glasurit, so the only thing in common I guess is the price and whatever is in your head.

I guess I just got the stuff priced to cheap to get compared with them.

Hey their price is right, use it thats why they make it!

Last edited by BarryK; 06-11-2006 at 02:40 PM.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.