Alternative fuels....way of the future? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2006, 12:40 PM
Bigger is better

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Alternative fuels....way of the future?

first, let me start with a couple of interesting links...

www.ethanol.org
www.running_on_alcohol.tripod.com
www.biodiesel.org

All three of these site have really good info on alternative fuels...

At some point we all have to face te facts....gasoline just isn't cutting it anymore.

It pollutes, it's expensive, and one day it will no longer be a viable fuel source for automobiles.

but there are alternatives to using gasoline.
Ethanol is one of them.
For those of you who may not know, ethanol is a type of alcohol produced from crops such as corn, sugar cane, etc.

ethanol will also power a gasoline engine with minimal modifications. the majority of the mods needed are replacing rubber fuel lines and gaskets with alcohol resistant materials.

And I don't know about you guys, but with gas over 3 bucks a gallon, ethanol is looking more and more like an extremely viable alternative. Especially since you can get a liscense from the ATF to make it yourself.

ethanol is also a renewable energy source....since it can be planted and harvested each year....meaning the US could actually produce enough of it right here to never have to import fuel again.

And then you have your biodiesel.
Once again, in case you didn't know or didn't look up those links, biodiesel is another alternative fuel made from used vegetable oil.

It produces no pollutants and 99.9% of all diesel engines can run on the stuff.
You can also make it yourself with a small investment and minimal effort on your part.

In fact, Trucks! even did a show on biodiesel and how to make it.

And the best part...the exhaust smells like french fries.

according to Hubbert's theory (A google search will link you to it) petroleum production will peak around the year 2010. After that it will begin a steady decline. that steady decline in production will lead to even higher prices.

So, maybe it's about time for car lovers to begin pushing for a greater availability of these alternative fuels.

After all, would you rather have one of those stupid looking hybrids or your old muscle car or truck running on a fuel that costs less than gas and produces water as exhaust?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2006, 12:43 PM

Last photo:

party until 2010!
Old 05-12-2006, 02:05 PM
Gotta love the classics

Last photo:

Well I have said this in a couple of threads but my Econ/AmericanGovt teacher told me that walmart already has a contract with some ethanol co. and has already started sellin it here in east tn at 1 walmart. its only like 15 cents less but that is to make more $$$ while still being better than buyin gas. I think ethanol is the way of the future for GASOLINE powered vehicles. I like the idea of bio desiel though. Saw that episode of trucks and I thought it was pretty interesting.
Old 05-12-2006, 02:12 PM

I agree with you on the merits of alternate fuels and have done a lot research including this sight and have gotten a whole range of responses ,but most did not really seem to favor alcohol as a "street" type fo option.I don,t know myself ,Just what I've heard and read,so I'm no expert on the subject.I will say that ai believe we will have to consider the alcohol class of fuels more and more as time goes on,so might as well start now trying to find ways to make it work with the hi-po technology we have available .Disregarding the fuel consumption of course.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.