alternative to Lizard Skin - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2006, 09:58 PM

Last journal entry: Shop Remodel Progress
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302/Z28
FWIW
Some have expressed that maybe Lizard Skin is some magical formula specifically made for automotive use that justifies it's exorbitant price. People will believe what they want to believe and that is fine. For those that need a little more assurance that there is nothing magical about these hi tech ceramic coatings you can go online to Hy-Tech Thermal Solutions and look up product SC#1000. SC#1000 is 80% by volume microscopic glass spheres.

Hy-Tech Thermal Solutions is a NASA spin off company located in Melbourne Fla. SC#1000 is available for about $39 a gallon.

Vince
NICE LINK!

Probably going to put all others out of business!!

I was thinking of begging Lizard Skin for a sponsorship because lightweight insulation is key for the Hudson build.

Advertisement

Last edited by Rambo_The_Dog; 12-05-2006 at 10:08 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2006, 05:10 AM
Last photo:

Thanks guys, just out of curiosity I ordered two gallons of SC#1000 from Hy-Tech. They came in last evening. The mix looks a little different than what I mixed up but that is to be expected as I did not know how much Micro Balloons to add to the paint. This mix is like a paste more than anything. If you stick a paint stick into it and pull it out you will leave a little mountain that stays there. The instructions that came with it says you can spray it with an airless sprayer as long as the tip size is 3.0mm. This stuff is very light weight as you would expect at 80% Micro Balloons. The only downside that I can see is that it is only available in white. I don't see why it can't be tinted though. I have not been able to spray any insulation yet as the temp has been below 50 for about a week.

Vince
Old 12-06-2006, 07:36 AM

Last journal entry: Headlights added
Last photo:

Is this the correct product

SC#1000 Super Hi-Build Thermal/Sound Supression Coating
1 Gallon: $59.95...5 Gallon: $299.75

As ths was in tne e-mail string

Hy-Tech Thermal Solutions is a NASA spin off company located in Melbourne Fla. SC#1000 is available for about $39 a gallon.

Also see this

#1000 Insul-Flex Insulating, Waterproofing Elastomeric Wall Coating
1 Gallon: $32.99...5 Gallon: $164.95

I also have been into R/C for about 20 yrs.

Regards,

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	p51-a.JPG
Views:	985
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	16676  

Last edited by Bart; 12-06-2006 at 07:48 AM.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:58 AM
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart
Is this the correct product
SC#1000 Super Hi-Build Thermal/Sound Supression Coating
1 Gallon: $59.95...5 Gallon: $299.75
Steve
That is the right stuff, but they have increased the price on it. I just checked my invoice and they charged me $39 per gallon plus shipping.

Nice P51 by the way

Vince
Old 12-09-2006, 06:58 PM

We have been a dealer for Lizardskin for about two years and have had great results with the product and it does what it says. I would have to agree that after we put the $ exchange on the dollar and brokerage fees that it adds up. But when you look at this from a different approach its like this.The cost to have a shop install any other form of insulation cannot compare as you can cover about 50% more of the interior with this and you create a 100% waterproof barrier and a 20-30 degree reduction in heat at the thickness of your credit card.This is like buying 3 products for the price of one and with 0% waste,also what I like is that it does not add any thickness that affects the fit of interior panel's. When it comes to install time I would say that its half or less to other methods and twice the results. When we try to reinvent the wheel sometimes it cost more and we might not achieve the same results and we spend our hard earned money is it really worth it on the chance that we hit the formula right?And we really would not know if it was right until we had out interior in and a few hard road miles on the car so what would the cost be to remove the interior a second time to re-insulate?
Jason
Old 12-09-2006, 07:14 PM
Last photo:

Jason
I do not think anyone was saying anything negative about Lizard Skin other than it's price. It is a great product, there is no doubt about that and it is considerably cheaper than other methods of insulation. However there is nothing mysterious or magical about it's composition. Ceramic insulation has been in the industrial arena for going on ten years now. There are numbers of insulation specific companies that offer comparable products at a considerable price savings. Being in the chemical industry with access to engineering data relating to protective coatings, it was not to difficult to do some research on ceramic insulation. Once I found out what it is I was amazed at the brilliantly simple formula and how inexpensive it is to duplicate. My suggestion was just that, a suggestion, a person can make up their own mind about what they wish to do.

Thanks for the information
Vince
Old 12-12-2006, 09:28 PM

Last journal entry: more finished pics
Last photo:

What do you think....

What would happen if the micro spheres were mixed in with an elastomeric coating such as Cool Seal? Cool seal is a mobile home coating that waterproofs and insulates. Obviously it will stand up to varying conditions.
Bob
Old 12-13-2006, 06:03 AM
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnewsom
What would happen if the micro spheres were mixed in with an elastomeric coating such as Cool Seal? Cool seal is a mobile home coating that waterproofs and insulates. Obviously it will stand up to varying conditions.
Bob
I also have a gallon of Kool-Seal that I bought locally for about $20. I thought it may be the same thing, but as you have discovered it does not have micro spheres. However it does sound like it would be perfect for our use if they were added. I would add 80% by volume to the Kool-Seal.

Vince
Old 12-13-2006, 06:11 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302/Z28
I also have a gallon of Kool-Seal that I bought locally for about $20. I thought it may be the same thing, but as you have discovered it does not have micro spheres. However it does sound like it would be perfect for our use if they were added. I would add 80% by volume to the Kool-Seal.

Vince
Vince, Pop the lid on the Kool-Seal . It is really a heavy bodied oil base material and not very nice to put on the roof of your camper. I think stirring in the micro spheres might destroy them.

Dave
Old 12-13-2006, 07:34 PM
Last photo:

My Kool-Seal, is water cleanup. I don't think the spheres would be damaged as long as you did not use a power mixer.

Vince
Old 12-14-2006, 09:43 PM

Last journal entry: more finished pics
Last photo:

Vince,
You gotta give this a try and report back to us!
Bob
Old 12-15-2006, 11:05 AM
Chasing dreams with a ball bat

Last photo:

Hey!

This is cooooool.

Amazing the things you can find out if you look. Props to all for putting "2 and 2" together.

Looks like someone's get rich quick scheme has been partially uncovered . . .

I am needing to insulate my 68 camaro, and was previously going to use the thick jute padding with the foil backing on it.

Would you guys say that I could do the latex / micro spheres thing and get as good or better results?? I don't know too much about Lizard Skin, just that it's expensive and reportedly amazing.

I have an undercoating gun - normally you use a can of undercoating and the can just screws into the bottom of the gun - but I saved some empty cans "just in case." Would that work to spray that stuff? Undercoating is really thick and it would shoot that stuff like crazy.
Old 12-15-2006, 12:01 PM
Chasing dreams with a ball bat

Last photo:

was just doing a little research.

Was looking at the wording in the Hy-Tech website: SC#1000 is a non-toxic water based sound and vibration absorbing coating blended with sound absorbing pigments and Hy-Tech Ceramic microspheres in a Viscoelastic resin. (Visco-elastic means that a material exhibits elastic and viscous properties allowing for better absorption of shocks.)

Hmmm. viscoelastic - maybe we could add the micro spheres to regular rubberized undercoat? It seems to be "elastic" to some degree.

They make it sound like it's not just latex paint that they use. In another area, for interior home sound control (a different product), they recommend a cheap latex paint to put over the special coating if you want a dark interior color in your home. They state that the resin in high quality paints destroys the sound control characteristics of that product. Maybe the same for the SC#1000?

That almost makes it seem like there's a better filler material to hold the spheres. Perhaps that Kool Seal stuff is the best for this purpose. Where do you get that stuff??

Any thoughts out there???
Old 12-15-2006, 04:24 PM

As for the alternative's to Lizard Skin,out of all these idea's that are flying around here who has done any documented #'s that would prove that these other product's really work? I would also like to know if any of these have a fire rating or to they burn when they get over a certain temp?and I don't mean the spheres. The product's within the Lizard Skin are not the same as any off the shelf product and are different than the Cool Car product as we have spayed both and prefer the Lizard Skin Hands Down to any other product that is similar or jute.If it comes down to price on the RIDE Stick with the old W@llM@art Priced products that only work to a degree and use the proven products for results. Just my 2C adn opinion.
Jason
Old 12-16-2006, 01:21 AM

Last photo:

This is extremely interesting, I,ll be doing my '32 Victoria body this spring and the thought of saving some bucks is very good. I,ve got a siphon fed sand blasting gun and big compressor, what pressure are you spraying this concoction with, and would it hurt to use a couple or more coats with drying time in between. Thanks 302, this is good stuff !!!

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.