alternative to Lizard Skin - Page 20 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2013, 06:10 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I have not read all 19 pages of this post to know if someone brought this up before or not. When I have seen Lizardskin demonstrated, it had been sprayed onto an electric griddle. One third regular lizardskin, one third lizardskin plus lizardskin sound control, and one third un-coated. The griddle is turned on, and an ice cube placed on each third. The two lizardskin sections slowly melt, while the un-coated section sizzles and turns to steam. Has anyone tried this same test with the home-made lizardskin?

The underside of my fenders has been coated with lizardskin, so I know it holds up to exterior elements, such as water and road grit. It can be sanded and painted over like on a firewall if a smooth finish is desired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2013, 07:12 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

You put the mixture on last because it leaves a rougher, softer, result that the Dynamat will have a hard time sticking to. The Dynamat will stick better to the smooth steel of the body.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:41 AM

Oh I see....
I never considered that.
That makes total sense.

Well I got all of it bought.
Got enough to do the whole truck and got less than $125 in both products
Thanks again
Old 03-30-2013, 08:33 AM

Last journal entry: Steering
Last photo:

Home Made Lizzard Skin.

After looking at the cost of lizzard skin. I decided to make my own. One gallon of acrylic latex paint and a gallon of micro ballons. I was a little doubtfull about this ,until the owner of a local hot rod shop was using the homemade brew on his own car and invited me over to his shop, and witness the application. I applied one mist coat and two heavier coats.
The results were great. Suprising just how short a time it took to dry.
Over this I applied hush made and the results were what I was looking for.
The car is so much quieter. and a heck of a lot cheaper. Yep I would use this again. One of the nice things about it as it will not burn. I sprayed 3 layers on a test panel. Let it cure, scraped some off held a match to it. The flames just dies out immediately It will not support combustion.
Couldn't be happier with the results.
Brian.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:18 PM

Hi Rise...
Just a couple questions...
Sounds like you sprayed it on right..??
Did your Hot Rod guy apply it straight to the metal first, then the hush mat over that.... or vise versa.

I have put the mat down on the sides and roof,.. but not on the floors or firewall where I would think the majority of the heat would be produced.
Just curious if your guy had any thoughts on which should go first, and if it will in any way mess up the sticking of the mat and cause it to come loose later on...??

Let us know...
Old 03-31-2013, 08:13 AM

Last journal entry: Steering
Last photo:

lizzard skin.

I did the floors and side walls. But not the roof as that was previously done. LS has to go over a painted surface as it's a water based product.
once it's dry, which is not very long, the hush mat can then be applied, and does it stick. I sprayed it on with an under coating gun, one mist coat and two heavier coats. I would definately use this product again. A gallon of paint (miss tint from the paint store ,15 bucks and a gallon of micro balloons for 11 bucks. Figured I saved 200 bucks by using this homemade formula. If you have anymore guestions let me know, will be glad to pass on any more info. Hope this helps.
Old 03-31-2013, 03:03 PM

Thanks. I know there were mixed opinions.. some said the hush mat wouldn't stick to the home made lizard skin.
I already did my roof and sides with the hush mat... but really wanted to do the floors and firewall with the lizard skin stuff. Just didn't want to have problems with adhesian
Just makes sense if it is for hear, it should be closest to the heat source..??
I'm not into all the thermo-dynamics. so I don't know.. just wanted to ask.

I guess you saw on here about the Home Made Hush mat... get it in rolls at Lowes.

I have already done as you suggested. Bought a gallon of "oops" paint at Lowes($15) and a gallon bag of the ceramic beads... I'm set to go when I get my floors and firewall exactly the way I want them.
Glad to hear it all went well for you
Old 04-17-2013, 08:22 PM

Last photo:

I didn't read all 20 pages but from what I did read there were some questions on how durable they are ie can they be mixed with a solvent based paint or can they withstand mixing with a power mixer.

As you can imagine these were made for other purposes than insulation on a car. We use the same thing, (maybe a different name but they are still glass spheres) in cement for oil wells. They are used to make a lightweight slurry to help with problem wells and they also use it it a thermal cement when steam injection is used.

I is pumped through a high velocity centrifugal pump and pumped down the well at pressure in the 3,000 psi to 4,000 psi range.

I thought I should add that it is VERY important to use a dust mask when mixing this stuff. Someone mentioned how dusty it is, consider that the dust is micro shards of glass, not good to breath in.

Oh ya, we buy it in 1000 pound bulk sacks. lol
Old 04-18-2013, 06:52 PM
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5StudeGuy View Post
I guess you saw on here about the Home Made Hush mat... get it in rolls at Lowes.
As has been pointed out in this thread the stuff in rolls at Home Depot or Lowes is not the same as Hushmat. It may look the same but the stuff at the stores is asphalt based as opposed to butyl rubber based. The stuff at the stores will let go when it gets hot and will not stick.

Just a FYI
Vince
The Following User Says Thank You to 302 Z28 For This Useful Post:
sedanbob (07-16-2013)
Old 04-19-2013, 07:35 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

Vince is right. There is no "home made" Hushmat. What the home improvement stores sell are roofing products called Peel & Seal. What you need is a sound deadener. There are sound deadeners that are asphalt based, but they have a higher melting point than the roofing products. B-Quiet Extreme is one that has a 67 to 230 degree F heat rating.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.

Last edited by DanTwoLakes; 04-19-2013 at 07:42 AM.
Old 07-16-2013, 12:30 PM

OK, I have to admit I joined your forum just because of this thread.
I have question.

Has anyone sprayed this stuff over Fat Mat? I read where some talked about it, but never actually said if it had been tried. If so, how has it held up? I am worried about it flaking off the aluminum foil backing.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:13 PM

Last photo:

No I have never sprayed the home made brew, I roll it on and use a brush for the tight spots. I however would not try to apply it over anything but a hard surface such as steel or fiberglass. A surface that could flex somewhat would most probably cause the material to flake or peel off.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:41 PM

That's kinda what I was thinking. Has anyone tried to adhere fat mat over the home made lizard skin? I ordered my micro spheres last night. My fat mat and carpet kit should be here next week!
Old 07-16-2013, 05:37 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roothawg View Post
That's kinda what I was thinking. Has anyone tried to adhere fat mat over the home made lizard skin? I ordered my micro spheres last night. My fat mat and carpet kit should be here next week!
Once it's totally dried through it's just like sticking it to any house paint. I used Dynamat over this stuff in a couple spots but that @#$% stuff took a month to dry completely
Old 09-09-2013, 05:55 PM

Hi,

Thanks to all who contributed to this post ; I've read everything written on this thread.

In summation, am I correct in saying:

1. I want basically a 50/50 mix of micro spheres and paint?
2. It needs to be the consistency of pancake batter, right? {I intend to brush it on.}

I want to brush on my home made Lizard Skin to the ENGINE side of my firewall (using latex paint / micro sphere mix) then once it's dry, I want to cover it with the cheapo Home Depot foil bubble wrap.

Is this okay?

Since I'll be covering the Lizard Skin with the foil bubble wrap, it makes no difference at all to me what it looks like - just that it knocks out some of the heat!

I've already wire brushed my firewall, washed it down with lacquer thinner, sanded it, washed it down again and brushed on 3 coats of primer. Tonight I'm going to brush on a coat of Rustoleum rust paint.

Two or three days from now I want to brush on the home made Lizard Skin, then after it's dry, I want to contact-cement the foil bubble wrap to the Lizard Skin.

Does this sound like a good plan to you?

For the last five years (before I read this thread), I've had nothing on the firewall but a coat of paint and a layer of cheapo - bubble wrap insulation and the insulation held up just fine.

Any thoughts, please?

Thank you very much!

Dave

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.