alternative to Lizard Skin - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2006, 11:57 PM

Last wiki edit: Window removal and installation Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Very interesting, but I take issue with the latex paint. Would you want to paint the underside of your car with latex WITHOUT the beads? I shouldn't think so, I wouldn't. I think the beads should be looked at as an additive to enhance the thermal insulating properties of something you would put on your car anyway. Like undercoating or something that already has some useful acoustic damping and/or insulative properties.
KoolSeal sounds interesting and appears to have at least some useful properties. A lot of it's thermal usuefulness seems to come from reflecting heat from direct sunlight though. Not an especially useful characteristic for us unless we paint our roofs with it. More KoolSeal info.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2006, 07:40 PM

Last journal entry: more finished pics
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Just a follow up to some previous post. I was in Home Depot today and saw a new product by Kool Seal. It is caled Durolite and contains microsperes. Says it is 20% lighter. Sounds familiar.......

Bob
Old 12-30-2006, 09:39 PM

Last photo:

I just received the "Two Gallon Kit" (just the microspheres - not the coating) that I ordered from Hy-Tech.

The directions and accompanying brochure describe them as basically inert ceramic microspheres that; "Works with ANY paint".

The directions say to mix them with the paint @ a 1:4 volume ratio (1 part microspheres to 4 parts paint).

Application by roller: 1/2" to 3/4" nap depending on surface texture.
Spraying: Remove all filters (DUH!) and use a .019 to .024 tip or larger depending on viscosity of paint. Add up to 1 pint water (I assume that you could use other appropriate reducers if not using latex) or their HY-TECH ACRI-FLOW to help the paint flow better. I am willing to bet that this is similar (if not the same) as the stuff (FlowEz or something like that) that I added to the latex when I last painted my house trim.

I was/am planning to experiment a little with small samples of different types of paint (latex, oil, urethane, etc.), other carriers (Kool Seal, POR High Temp., Herculiner, etc.) and means of application (brush, roller, pneumatic and airless sprayer, etc.) on various surfaces (fiberglass, sheet metal, exhaust pipe, etc.). Only problem is that I am going to be laid up for the next couple(?) of months due to double knee replacement surgery. . I will be monitoring the thread to see if anyone has any feedback that will preclude my duplicating something that someone else has done or is planning to do sooner.

I will be glad to answer any questions that I can re the information (lot of specs) contained in the directions and brochure.

texastomeh
Old 12-31-2006, 09:44 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnewsom
Just a follow up to some previous post. I was in Home Depot today and saw a new product by Kool Seal. It is caled Durolite and contains microsperes. Says it is 20% lighter. Sounds familiar.......

Bob

just wrote a letter to kool seal to see what they think of there productss use for our purpose. I will post the letter when I get it. ED

Last edited by Ed ke6bnl; 12-31-2006 at 11:04 AM.
Old 01-05-2007, 03:07 AM
Fix it until it breaks

Last journal entry: And Next Summer . . .
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302/Z28
Or order two gallons from Hy-Tech at $39 a gallon pre mixed and ready to spray.Vince
The Hy-Tech site also offers suggestions as to how to spray it. I've used an airless sprayer rented from Home Depot with all the screens/filters removed (don't forget the one in the handle) and using the biggest tip available (you'll probably have to go to a paint store for that, but check the sprayer manufacturer's web site for tip sizes - my local store counter guy had no idea that the biggest size was even available until I told him).

they also make a nice spray for interior wall sound deadening and one for thermal insulation that dropped the temp in my attic 12 degrees in the summer.

Hoyt
Old 01-11-2007, 11:12 AM
Chasing dreams with a ball bat

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastomeh
I just received the "Two Gallon Kit" (just the microspheres - not the coating) that I ordered from Hy-Tech.

The directions and accompanying brochure describe them as basically inert ceramic microspheres that; "Works with ANY paint".

The directions say to mix them with the paint @ a 1:4 volume ratio (1 part microspheres to 4 parts paint).

I will be glad to answer any questions that I can re the information (lot of specs) contained in the directions and brochure.

texastomeh
So, do you think that the micro spheres that you got in the kit are the same material as say the spheres from Wick's aircraft supply?
Old 01-11-2007, 11:14 AM
Chasing dreams with a ball bat

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastomeh

texastomeh

I thought that the brochure for the product already mixed (from Hytech) had said that they use a 80% by volume of the micro spheres.
Above, with a 1:4 ratio it would be 20%. I guess I don't understand why the big difference.

Am I missing something??
Old 01-11-2007, 12:26 PM
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodf1
I thought that the brochure for the product already mixed (from Hytech) had said that they use a 80% by volume of the micro spheres.
Above, with a 1:4 ratio it would be 20%. I guess I don't understand why the big difference.

Am I missing something??
I know 20% is not nearly enough micro balloons. At 80% you will notice how much lighter the gallon of paint has become.

Vince
Old 01-11-2007, 05:55 PM

Last photo:

The Directions for Use that were enclosed with the Hy-Tech microspheres state:

Quote:
The additive should be gradually stirred into the appropriate size container of paint.

One Pre-measured 1 gallon package of Ceramic Additive for one gallon of paint or a a Pre-measured 5 gallon package of Ceramic Additive for a 5 gallon pail of paint. (Mixing ratio is 4 parts paint to 1 part Ceramic Additive)

If you purchased a bulk contractor package, simply measure out a 1 qt. container (32 oz. vol.) or use a kitchen measuring cup (4 cups = 1QT of Additive for each gallon of pain).
The above is quoted directly from the Directions of Use

texastomeh
Old 01-11-2007, 06:49 PM

i was confused also but in the posted mixing instructions it says "volume ratio" not "parts ratio". shouldn't it say 1:1 "volume ratio" not "parts ratio" ? honestly i have never heard of the term volume ratio only parts. can anyone enlighten me? thanks
Old 01-12-2007, 11:02 AM
Fix it until it breaks

Last journal entry: And Next Summer . . .
Last photo:

He wrote 1QT of Additive for each gallon of paint.

That would give you 5 quarts of pain after you mix them together. It's that simple.
Old 01-12-2007, 02:32 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hduff
He wrote 1QT of Additive for each gallon of paint.

That would give you 5 quarts of pain after you mix them together. It's that simple.
YEP!!

When all else fails - read the instructions and remember that "parts" in some instances (not this one) can by WEIGHT.

Also please note that as pointed out in one of my earlier posts - I fully intend to ignore the provided instructions and experiment with some various recipes of my own. Remember that there ain't nothing so good that it can't be improved (or screwed up)

texastomeh
Old 01-16-2007, 05:23 AM
70 Chevelle SS 396

Last photo:

Been an "on-looker" on this thread.

SO... has anyone completed any "experiments" with their micro-spheres yet?? Kinda curious as to how these homemade concoctions compare to the name brand, ready-made products.

Thanks to the guys playing with this stuff so the rest of us don't have to

Nooj
Old 01-19-2007, 03:50 PM

efforts, observations, results

Efforts and some results

Effort: I purchased 2 one gallon bags of micro balloons fro Wicks Aircraft Supply at a cost of $13 with out shipping. Mixed one bag into a little over a quart of white Glidden semi gloss left over latex paint. This is dusty stuff so I wore a chemical mask and eye protection. I mixed the whole works by hand and got about 7/8ths gallon of material. Mixture was about as thick as thick pancake batter. I applied this mixture to the inside firewall and cowl of my 53 F-100 using a 2.5 inch nylon brush. I also applied the material the inside back wall of the cab below the rear window. I applied 3 coats to the firewall/cowl area and 2 coats to the rear cab wall. I tried to apply these coats as thick as possible allowing an hour between coats. My goal was to have the dried material as thick as a credit card. I estimate the total area covered to be about 30 sq ft and I used about 2/3s of my material. I then allowed 2 days for the material to set.

Some results and observations: There was no gloss to the dried material and it will scratch with a sharp object. I don’t think I would use it on the outside of the cab. I don’t know if it felt like petting a lizard not having an occasion to do so; however it looked like flat wall paint and definitely had more texture. We had a warm sunny day here in South Texas before Christmas, around 80 degrees, and I rolled the cab into the sun with the outside of the firewall facing the sun. After a half hour or so the outside of the firewall became hot enough that it was not comfortable leaving my hand on the outside metal. The outside of the firewall is painted with two coats of epoxy primer. Inside the firewall I could place my hand anywhere without any discomfort. It was warm but definitely not hot. I do not have a point and shoot thermometer but my Craftsman 82400 multi meter has a temperature probe which I used on both sides of the firewall. I recorded a temperature of 124 F on the outside of the firewall and 102 F on the inside at the same place. The inside back wall of the cab was also in the sun and remained cool to the touch. It did not seem to absorb any more heat than the ambient temperature. Both sides of the rear cab wall felt about the same.

I have now mixed my second batch. I bought a quart of exterior latex paint from Lowe’s mistake shelf for $1. The color was an off white a little on the beige side. This mixture came out as very dry peanut butter. Dryer than the kind you have to mix before eating. I was able to roll this mixture on the inside roof after the addition of about a pint of left over white ceiling paint. I had applied 2 coats of the remainder of the first mixture to the inside roof so that made the 3rd coat. I will add one more coat to the roof and then use the rest of the mixture on the floor. I still plan to use my Quiet Ride kit inside the cab but I believe the latex micro balloon coating to be a definite bonus. One further observation: the hollow, ringing sound when the cab wall was thumped is now changed to a dull thunk, definitely less vibration. All in all for the price and the effort, I am pleased.
Heartbeat
Old 01-19-2007, 04:02 PM

Last journal entry: Shop Remodel Progress

Great feedback Heartbeat! 20degree diff pretty good.

Only thing bouncing around in the back of my head is "What are the heat resistent properties of the latex paint?

My concern would only be with exhaust routing too close to the application...or does the addition of the spheres change the behavior?

Might be something to test.

That's why - when I get time - I wanted to try some of this with an automotive grade paint that has heat resistance characteristics. If the spheres will hold up this would be a better overall implementation...anyone?

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.