alternative to Lizard Skin - Page 7 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2007, 08:21 AM
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolride
Vince,
Are these micro balloons the same as the glass beads I use in my bead blast cabinet?

GREAT P47!!
I seriously doubt it, these are like a very fine talcum powder. They float in the air they are so small.

Vince

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2007, 08:22 AM
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzipilot
Reading the whole thread if very informative. Questions though that have been unanswered. Has anyone mixed the hy-tech beads with POR??? Has anyone used the paint from Hy-tech and how did it work??? Looking at doing one or the other. Replacing my floor pans, and want to top coat it with POR, and if I can just mix the beads in, that would be great, or top coat it with the Hy-tech paint would work too. just curious what results anyone got with either combination.
Thanks
I can assure you that they can be mixed with any paint. They do not affect the quality of the paint at all.

Vince
Old 07-04-2007, 10:03 AM

Thanks, I went back and reread the thread again, and noticed you had mentioned as such.

Did you also use the peel/seal after putting on the spheres??? Did you do both inside doors or ???
Thanks, just looking for best method.....to get both insulation and sound deadening...

Crzi...
Old 07-04-2007, 11:06 AM
Last photo:

I did both, the micro spheres then the Peel N Seal. I used 3M heavy duty contact adhesive to help hold the Peel N Seal.

Vince
Old 08-18-2007, 09:26 AM
bentwings

Last photo:

Hi, this is a facinating thread. Lot's of good info. I too am an R/C addict...94 in Corsair G-62 (bentwings haha), 96 in P-51 5.8, 118in B-25, 114 in P-61 in process. I'm well familar with the micro-spheres you are using.

My project is a 41 Willys. fiberglass body so I don't have to worry about rust.

From reading the thread, I can do the micro sphere and latex on the inside and then add peel and seal where possible??. Is that correct. It is nearly impossible to get to the skin side of the doors with the power windows installed. I think I could remove the doors and just make a mix that is a little runny and pour it in on the skin side. Then just roll the doors around to coat the inside of the outer skin. Does this sound reasonable.?? The complete door only weighs about 30 pounds so they are relatively easy to handle. I could even do 2 coats if necessary. The trunk lid has a liner already sealed to it so this process might have to be done to it the same way also. What do you think??

The rest of the interior is pretty accessable. It's a tiny car so I can do everything with a brush. I'm not sure what the upholstery is going to look like but there surely will not be much additional framing added. The doors will have a panel of ABS so I could easily use the peel and seal on the inside. I don't think latex will stick to the ABS. If it was well scuffed an epoxy primer or paint will stick reasonably well. I could mix micro-spheres with this too I would guess.

Does this all sound reasonable??. I'd really like to do this before winter as there are a lot of changes going to be done and temps will vary widely.

The really big question is that the entire car is fiberglass and scuffing the interior with Scotchbrite or something similar is nearly out of the question. The best I can do is to mist wash where I can with wax and grease remover or hot soap and water. Sometimes getting the wax off the glass can be a problem however the body was oven baked before I got it and it seems clean, I sure don't have trouble getting resinto stick to it..
Old 08-18-2007, 02:44 PM
Last photo:

You certainly could try all the things you suggested. I think I would remove the window mechanisms in order to insure that I got an even coat of material on them. I am willing to bet that the latex will stick just fine to the ABS as long as it was Scoth Brite'd first.

How in the world do you find time to build all those planes, fly them and also to work on a street rod? It lookslike I will not be able to get back into R/C until I retire.

Vince
Old 08-18-2007, 02:51 PM
Gearhead for life

Last journal entry: Swapped out the bow-tie bling
Last photo:

Great thread guys. I almost ordered up some Lizard Skin the other day but was surprised at the price. I just ordered up 6 gallons of the micro balloons from Wicks (I have a couple of projects going).

I think I'll try using the Kool-seal - can you get it at Lowes or home depot? I will likely take the extra step of priming with Zinser as well, and to top it off I will also use the peel and seal in certain areas as well.

As you can see below, I have a clean slate to start with inside my 38 dodge coupe:

Last edited by 38Dodgebiz; 08-18-2007 at 02:58 PM.
Old 08-18-2007, 11:13 PM
bentwings

Last photo:

302 thanks for the encouragement. Haha on the time for everything. Here is how you do it...you get layed off 6 months before you are ready to retire. You look for a job knowing that you will not get hired. Then you retire. You then have no money of course but you get a no brainer job that pays pretty good or you contract for a while and collect SS at the same time. It's strictly legal now to work as much as you like after retirement...infact it is encouraged.

Take time off to enjoy life. I was told to get a life...I got it now haha. I spent more time in the garage working on projects than I ever did working on a job. I get about 12 hours a day out there now...plus a couple sitting here on the computer.

I'm going to order some of the stuff to do my interior shortly so I'll post a follow up..

thanks again

That's a cool P-47 what motor??
Old 08-19-2007, 08:51 AM
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentwings

thanks again

That's a cool P-47 what motor??
It's a slightly modified Zenoah G62. The 47 weighs about 25lbs and the G62 hauls it around with quite a bit of authority at just above idle. It is a blast to fly, but the landings require a bit of a different technique as you are well aware of.

I am planning on retiring April of 08, then I will have more time to devote to R/C. The ongoing construction of my 34 has consumed more of my time than I could have imagined.

Vince
Old 08-24-2007, 09:31 PM
Gearhead for life

Last journal entry: Swapped out the bow-tie bling
Last photo:

My 6 gallons of micro balloons arrived from Wicks today

Maybe I'll spray some home-brewed lizard skin this wknd
Old 09-27-2007, 07:34 AM

Last photo:

ok boys and girls any updates did your cars seem to be quieter & cooler with the microballoons with the summer heat
Old 09-27-2007, 09:47 AM
bentwings

Last photo:

Here is some testing I picked up on today. It might be cool to try the alternate painy/microballoons then add one of the butyl mats noted here. What's the opinion?? It would look to me as a way to reduce the heat as well as sound resonance.

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/
Old 09-27-2007, 10:39 AM
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59 wagon man
ok boys and girls any updates did your cars seem to be quieter & cooler with the microballoons with the summer heat
The heat benefits are without dispute. If you doubt it just try the same demo that the Lizardskin guy does at shows. Paint half a skillet with the paint and micro balloons. Leave the other half unpainted. Heat it up and place an ice cube on both halves. You will see how fast the unpainted side melts the ice cube.

As far as the sound benefit, that depends on how many coats you are willing to apply and if you are using anything else on top. On my car I used a 3/8" double foil faced jute type insulation on top of the paint on insulation. The sound deadening benefits are awesome.

Vince
Old 09-27-2007, 11:12 AM
bentwings

Last photo:

Is the foil/jute insulation something you got at Home Depot?? I'm on the way over there to see what they have. I think I may try the home brew stuff on my doors at least for now. They are fiber glass and very light weight. They remind me of getting in an ultra light airplane. Nothing to them. I think the glass and power lift weighs more than the door itself.

Maybe the jute based stuff will give some "weight" to the closing sound.

The guy doing my uphosltery is holding me back for now untill he get done planning the rest of the interior. He is all for the sound deadening and heat insulation.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:34 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentwings
Is the foil/jute insulation something you got at Home Depot?? I'm on the way over there to see what they have. I think I may try the home brew stuff on my doors at least for now. They are fiber glass and very light weight. They remind me of getting in an ultra light airplane. Nothing to them. I think the glass and power lift weighs more than the door itself.

Maybe the jute based stuff will give some "weight" to the closing sound.

The guy doing my uphosltery is holding me back for now untill he get done planning the rest of the interior. He is all for the sound deadening and heat insulation.
Home Depot and Lowes have some that works though mine came from Juliano's in CT. Insul-Shield out of MA. is another source for that jute/foil stuff

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.