About 1 1/2 yrs. ago I did a '32 Victoria f/glass body with the micro spheres and a good quality exterior house paint from Home Depot. It was pretty much the thickness of pancake batter, no way to spray it. I just took my time and used a brush for the tight spots, a 4" and 8" roller for everything else. Once dried it stuck on very good and really did cut down on the tin can thump, also made the interior look a helluva lot nicer.
I never did get to put dynamat or an equivalent on top of it to see how well that material would stick to it but using a roller I think would have given a good base to adhere to. Total cost was $16 for the ceramic spheres and $18 for the paint.....well worth it and I'll do it again on the next body.