alternative to MUSTANG II suspention - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2001, 08:32 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post alternative to MUSTANG II suspention

I'm wanting to find a defferent suspention for my 37 chevy coupe. I've heard the Chevy S-10 long pick up frame can work with few modifcations, or the frame from a 75 nova can be used. Doe's any know of a swap that works. Thanks NORM...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2001, 01:06 PM
Toy builder

Last photo:

Yep you can make both work.But in the end you will save no money it will not look as good as a stang II(by the way they call them that but there are no mustang II parts in them anymore) I like the TCI or progressive unit(wont use fat man) As far as doing a complete s-10 frame swap you had be a very good fabricator and have a few cars under your belt. I have seen a few but not many that looked good. If your frame is good go with a kit. The 37 frame is a nice piece and will not let you down.The nova is just the front half and can be made to work,before kits we used them all the time.But you cut the front of your car off and if you screw it up your done. Save the cash and buy a kit. I have done a 37 chevy with a TCI all tacked in in one day and rolled it out of the shop. Mustang II stay away from strut rods on the lower a-frames and 9 inch brakes and you will have NO problem. The last 37 chevy i did also had a manual rack and drove fine. Good luck.
Keep askin cause there is more than one way to skin your cat. LOL
Old 01-29-2002, 04:21 PM

Hey Phat, Any comment on using the tubular A-arms and coil-over's on those M-II IFS? ricobob
Old 01-30-2002, 05:23 AM
Toy builder

Last photo:

Yep all good stuff for the stangII but your getting close to the TCI and heidts super ride price and those kits just cant be beat by a stangII.
Old 01-31-2002, 07:51 AM

I tried the s-10 frame prep after seeing a nice one on the web, but MAN what a hassle. So, I've decided to use my 46 Ford coupe frame, which was in better shape anyway. But since the suspension needs complete rebuilding, I thought of going with a parallel leaf setup front and rear, gasser style, which is my theme for this car. Seems to me it would be cheaper and easier than buggy springs and all those radius rods. This seems to work for early Chevys like the 36 up top of this section. Any advice?
Old 01-31-2002, 09:25 AM

Hey Freddie4speed, E-mail me at themcgintys@yahoo.com and let me here your ideas on the leaf spring front and rear. I had a 39 chevy coupe in the early seventys with that set up and it worked very well, of course that was the only thing we had back then. I've seen this straight axle front suspentoin that BUTCHES ROD SHOP carries and it looks very good but I don't know of anyone that has used it. Lets face it we won't be taking our rods out on grave rods or four wheelin so the spring front end with a straight axle may work just fine for a lot less money. Thanks NORM...
Old 01-31-2002, 11:48 PM

I used s10 in my 53 3100 the with of frame worked out VERY GOOD had to trim out side of s10 down in stering box area and used end old frame to mount bumper / tools resip saw/ tape/ wire feed miller 35/4"grinder/6 jack stands /3 torpido levels /drill&bits /hammer/mesure/check mesure/check/ then walk away 10 minuts check all mesurements tack check be carful it took me 4 hr with engin out fenders off steam clened frame but lots of time an furging out how to get right 4000 mi in 2 weeks made me sure I did the right thing this truck is a delevery Iam very happy with it going to put air ride on it when it warms up it cold in montana right now Rick

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.