alternator '34 ford/lincoln mark VIII engine - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2007, 08:16 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

alternator '34 ford/lincoln mark VIII engine

I bought myself a '34 ford 3 window as a retirement present to catch up on my missed childhood.
Since I am not mechanically blessed, only a driver, I depend on locals to help me out with such problems.
The most recent problem has been an alternator, at least that is what the shop thinks it is. But after four alternators none seem to fix the problem. The only way to start the engine is jumping the battery and as soon as you turn the engine off you have to jump again.
This shop has a good reputation and they have tried all they know. Now I am looking for someone who has had a similar problem so I can go back to the shop with your suggestion and get back on the road again.
The engine is a Lincoln Mark VIII 32 VOH, I think 1998 or 1999, don't know the builder and the party that sold me the car is of no help at all.
Thanks for any help.
Happy New Year!!!!!
Retired '34 guy

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2008, 12:05 AM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by printworksla@mac.com

The most recent problem has been an alternator, at least that is what the shop thinks it is. But after four alternators none seem to fix the problem. The only way to start the engine is jumping the battery and as soon as you turn the engine off you have to jump again.
I am assuming the battery has received a deep draw test and is good? What is exact BAT VLT once the engine is shut down? What is exact ALT CHG VLT while running?
Old 01-01-2008, 01:13 AM

alternator '34 ford/lincoln mark VIII engine

Thanks for your reply.

I am trying to remember what the readings were, since I only listened to the guys talking about the numbers I know they were low. I think running it was in the 11-13 areas depending how they were checking with or without one of the hoses connected. When off the reading was around 8-10. I am not clear since they kept changing batteries to get a full charge.

I failed to mention I am not mechanically inclined, but you can teach an old dog and man knew tricks.

It is now 2008!!!
Old 01-01-2008, 05:53 AM
aka Duke of URL

The MK VIII is EEC-IV and has to have the correct reference voltage to have the PCM operate correctly. But it sounds as though the BAT was (is) not up to task. They should know better. One cannot even take a true output reading from an ALT with a low charge/bad BAT as it will be working its' butt off trying to recharge the BAT.

You need to have your BAT fully charged and tested before you can diagnose any other system.

As for teaching OLD DOGS new tricks, you are correct. I sit up and beg and my Old Lady rolls over and plays dead...
Old 01-01-2008, 11:09 AM

Happy New Year,

Thank you for your response. I am sure they had fully charged BAT since they were taking them off the rack where they were charging other BAT. I will be checking with them this week and make sure they are using a full charge.

Another response indicated the wiring may be messed up since this is a car that was built by an individual that did not provide a "Build out Book" of his work.

May 2008 be good to you.
Old 01-01-2008, 01:04 PM
EFI Rules and Carbs Drool

Last wiki edit: The FREE T Bucket plans
Last journal entry: Sold Everything for a new project
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

I'm in the poor wiring camp on this one. Sounds like the voltage to the computer is dipping too low. I would have them check the grounds on the computer and also the voltage going to the computer when cranking it over. There's probably 6 ground wires comming from the computer, some of them interconnect and are redundant - many are not. If there is one not getting a good connection, well that will just about spoil your day.
Old 01-01-2008, 01:20 PM

Arrowhead,

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll have them try this and let you know. I hope this is the answer. Very frustrating when you are at the mercy of others.

Happy New Year!!!
Old 01-01-2008, 01:58 PM
aka Duke of URL

Didn't realize they were pulling batteries off the rack. Expensive hobby.

What they will have to do (IMO) is if the year of the engine is not known, pull the Stamping I.D. from the PCM and go to the correct year Diagnostic Routine (Maintenance Manual) and begin there.

It sounds as if the origional installation was not properly done. Was the car doing this before you bought it?
Old 01-01-2008, 07:37 PM

The car may have been doing it before I bought it because when I went to Arkansas to look at it they had to jump it a couple of times during the couple days I was there finalizing the sell.

I bought the car in June 2007 and drove it only on Saturdays to club meetings and shows. The car ran fine for six months and then these problems started.

I just moved it out of my garage to put Christmas stuff away and I had to jump it going out and then again five hours later when I put it back in the garage.

Thank you for your interest.
Old 01-01-2008, 11:53 PM
aka Duke of URL

If the shop has access to ALL DATA or something similiar, they will find the diagnostic routines there.

Sure wish you luck with it.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.