Hot Rod Forum banner

alternator bracket for a camaro

7K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  prostreet6t9 
#1 ·
Im wanting to install a lower alternator bracket on my 1967 camaro to lower the alternator on the driver side only. will this work? has anybody tried this? I was going to an elec water pump so the only thing driving off a belt would be the alternator, so i wanted to lower it down to use a shorter belt..

thanks
Jon

#2 · (Edited)
I've made my own, but you can get them here also www.alangrovecomponents.com

The ones I've made are for about 2-3" lower mounting on the passenger side with a long water pump, just enough to get the belt to miss an electric waterpump but not so low as to interfere with the lower radiator hose. A more accurate description would be mine are "mid mount"

Some of the really low drivers side mounts, like the March billet aluminum Low Mount kits for street rods won't clear the front subframe crossmember of a Camaro or Nova, or the steering box of a Chevelle. If you are trying to do this with a short water pump style flat crank pulley, the alternator will be too low and too far out(because the size of the alternator to get it to clear the front of the block) to clear the front subframe.

Do you have one in mind that you have picked out?? Or still looking??

#3 ·
still looking, but what you described about the alternator hiting the sub frame is exactly what i was afraid of, I took a look to see by puting the alternator down low and thought that would be an issuse, but just waned to see if anybody else has tried this and made it work or not

#6 ·
eloc431962 said:
Re-locate the alternator to the passenger side then mount it mid or low.JMO
The pic below is not the same engine that's in my 67 now but i did keep the alternator the same after i re-located it.

Cole
thats what a buddy of mine told me to do as well, just wasnt sure on a bracket and if the belt would be in the way of the lower water hose

#7 · (Edited)
67-4-fun said:
thats what a buddy of mine told me to do as well, just wasnt sure on a bracket and if the belt would be in the way of the lower water hose
If you use a crank pulley meant for use with a long water pump, you can mid mount it on either the passenger or drivers side. The long water pump crank pulley allows the entire alternator to fit in front of the block, unlike a short pump type flat crank pulley, so you can get the alternator in close to the waterpump just like a power steering pump would be.

The long pump crank pulley puts the belt out far enough that it doesn't interfere with the lower hose on a passenger side mid mount alternator.

The ones I've fabbed up have been variations of this mid mounting point. http://www.alangrovecomponents.com/images/New_Images/Large/235R_Fixed.jpg

#9 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.