alternator differences - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2004, 09:59 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

alternator differences

ok i just posted alternator problems, so i need a new one. i have had the car 5 years and had 4-5 alternators on it. i was a sucker for the 26.99 cheapy because of the warranty. its seems there crap so im goin for acdelco this time around. i have a 72 chevelle,but the motor is a 82 sbc with stock intake, unilite distributer and stock block. i looked up several alternators and there are different ones for 72-82 350 5.7L chevys. there 63 amps and 66 amps and the prices all vary from year to year as does the item number. how do i know which one is the correct one?and which one is the best to get? ive been buying one for a 72, maybe its not big enough?
help

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2004, 10:59 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Just about any GM alternator will bolt up with minimum problems. As long as they have the same wiring conections. You may want to go with an 80s alternator, with an internal regulator. They are much more reliable.
Old 10-15-2004, 01:41 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Load

Doc here

The issue may be , what type of load are you trying to supply...

Do you have a lot of Accessories Going on there?

Maybe a Mega Watt Car that goes boom?

A Slamin' & Jumpin' Suspension System?

If so, Maybe a 60 Amp isn't going to cut it.

You need to take a total load test on the electrical system before you try to size the next alternator.. and match accordingly. You may need to upgrade to 100 amp.

As far as mounting, All different upgrades should bolt right up to the stock mounts..But you may want to check to see that the Alternator is sitting square and plumb in the mounts. This too will wear out the Alternator, as well as the water pump and just about anything on that drive belt.

Doc
Old 10-15-2004, 09:48 AM
Move It On Over!

Last photo:

Also keep in mind that the alternators have different positions for the connector.

Mad Electrical has an excellent document on this subject as well as picking the right alternator for you needs (including part numbers): Click Here
Old 10-15-2004, 06:19 PM

Last photo:

thanks for the help. i realized today i have to have a 72 alternator because i have an external voltage regulator.i had to buy a cheapy again for now because it was the only one within 50 miles that was available. ive been told to take my old alternator to get rebuilt and it will last longer than buying another reman one.although i dont know the price it will cost to get it rebuilt yet im thinking about it.
Old 10-15-2004, 08:21 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

rebuild

Doc here

You CAN rebuild it yourself...Ezy as pie...

All you need is a Diode pack, (about $10 bucks) A Set of brushes, (about $5 bucks) and Bushings / or bearings (depending on how yours is made) or if the bearings and/or bushings are good, reuse them, although I usually replace them.

Just take off the 4 bolts that hold the case together, and the terminals, and carefully half the case...on the back case you'll find the diode pack, just pull it and insert your new diodes. (2 bolts)

Find your brush holders and remove the brushes, and install the new brushes (noting direction of the brush curve) Check your spring tensioner, and push the brushes all the way in. You should have a hole that goes through the case and brush holder, insert a paper clip in both holes to hold the brushes in while you reassemble the case.

With a Fine Emery Cloth, burnish the pads on the brush pick~up until they are nice and copper bright. Use a pocket knife or hobby knife and carefully clean the insulator bars in between the copper pads out by scraping them out towards you.

Next if you replace the bearings or bushings, get a puller (for bearings) and remove it , and for install use a section of pipe to carefully drive the bearings back on. On the End bells (the cases) use a sharp punch and punch a slight indent 1/3 the way around in the middle of the bearing race (this will keep the bearing from ever spinning in the race) .

Next you'll have to tap the end bell back on the case (the punch marks will make it a tight fit) and bolt it all back together.

Wala! Rebuilt alternator!

If none of the windings are bad, or the insulation on them hasn't broken down, which is rare, You'll have an alternator that will last years.

Doc
Old 10-20-2004, 05:07 AM
Old enough to know better

It is a very easy job to convert from an external regulator to an internal one and you will have less problems overall. Next time you have to replace, go for a heavy duty internally regulated unit.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.