Alternator to Fuse Block - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2008, 02:06 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Alternator to Fuse Block

Hello all...

I am looking at the possiblity of rewiring my vehicle or possible just putting in a simple fuse block. At this point I do not think I need to do an entire wiring harness. I will be running the usual....lights (through a separate aux relayed harness), heater, blinkers, dash lights, radio, HEI, wipers. I think that I will be ok running them through a hot ignition fuse block.??

I am running a 12SI alternator - coming off of the two tabs #1 is the excitor wire and that goes where???? Tab #2 I have going to the post and a 10 gauge wire from the post to the battery....then a wire from the battery to the circuit breaker before the fuse block.

Does this sound right? Am I close?

Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2008, 05:11 PM

Alternator
-- The exciter wire (#1) goes to a switched power source that is only on when the ignition is on.
-- The sense wire (#2) can be connected to the post on the alternator, or for more accurate charging performance it can be connected to a junction in the wiring harness.
-- The 12 volt battery connection should have a 8 gauge wire, if this a 94 amp 12si. For a 63 amp alternator the 10 gauge wire is okay. In either case there should be a fusible link at the battery end, two sizes smaller (numerically 4 higher) than the charge wire. For example, a 10 gauge wire should have a 14 gauge fusible link.

The connection to your fuse block should use a wire that is sized appropriately for the total amperage load. It should have a fusible link or fuse at the end that connects to the battery. This will provide the best protection against shorts.

Bruce
Old 11-10-2008, 05:28 PM

Last journal entry: More on the Cobra Engine
Last photo:

Check out Painless or Ron Francis wiring, they make in-expensive fuse blocks and wiring harnesses that will make your day much easier.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:29 PM

Last photo:

I did buy a Painless fuse block that starts from the battery and goes to a circuit breaker then to the fuse block. It has a set of relays that connect to the ignition switch once in the on position flips power.

It sounds like I can just run the excitor wire back to the ignition switch. I would run it to the coil, but, I am running an HEI and I am unsure of where or how to hook it up.

THANKS!!!
Old 11-11-2008, 07:02 AM
Last photo:

Here is a wiring diagram. The field wire can be used to fire a relay for electric chole operation. The heavy B+ wire can go to the battery side of the starter relay, or a main power junction block, or to the main fuse block feed. The shorter the B+ wire the better.

Vince
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Alternator.pdf (5.5 KB, 90 views)

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.