Alternator Gets Hot - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2008, 12:39 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Alternator Gets Hot

After getting the Nova up and running, I noticed the alternator was getting pretty warm. I totally rewired the car, but I'm certain the wiring is correct. It's a 3-wire setup. There is an 8 gauge wire from alternator Bat post to the solenoid (I'm using a Ford solenoid for heat protection purposes). The wiring harness has an exciter wire to tab #1 on the internal regulator, and I looped a wire from #2 tab back to the Bat post. Everything I've seen indicates the setup is correct. The voltage output is just over 14, so that seems OK. I am concerned about the heat generated by the alternator as it runs. This happens only when turning, not stopped or with power switched on.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2008, 07:16 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Make sure the 8 gauge wire has a 12 gauge fusible link where it connects to the solenoid. This should prevent any serious overload problems.

Alternators get hot because they are generating power. Its hard to tell whether yours is working and getting too hot, but it sounds like its okay. They do sell some Iceberg kits for 10si's and 12si's, and they have bigger cooling fins.

Do you have something in the car with a very high power draw? I've had my 12si get hot when the battery is run down (door was left open) and it has to work harder to recharge the battery. It sound like yours may be dealing with a high power draw of some type. Any big amps or high draw lights?

Bruce
Old 06-15-2008, 08:06 PM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: Found an LQ9 today
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

Hot is OK. Even under normal operation a long trip with the lights on and stereo cranked can make them almost too hot to lay your hand on; both from power generation and from underhood heat. If you are getting burned badly, then worry. I have a nice scar on my palm from laying my hand on an alternator after jump starting. I wanted to make sure it wasn't too hot charging the battery and guess what... it was.

But, it didn't fry it. Short high-heat bursts aren't abnormal.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.