alternator help - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2006, 12:12 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

alternator help

1996 Ford Ranger pickup....4 cly, 5 speed, with AC. All stock FOMOCO.....Problem: After driving a few minutes and killing the engine, upon resart, the charge gauge reads discharge. Sometimes it continues to discharge untill the battery is dead and the vehicle stops running. Sometimes it will jump back up to normal charge after driving awhile.

Diagnosis so far. Battery reads 12.8 (sitting, engine off)
When charging properly, battery reads 14.2
When gauge shows discharge, battery reads 11.6 (and
slowly drops lower and lower)
I have tried loading the system (i.e., turn on AC, radio, lights, flashers, etc., but no change.

Since the battery checks good and the alternator/regulator checks good (when charging), where do I go next. Is it possible to have a brush sticking in the alternator, or is someting not exciting the circut, etc.?

I know this is not a hot rod, but it is the only vehlicle i have to drive right now, as my 37 plymouth coupe is getting a front end rebuild. Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2006, 01:29 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37 plymouth coupe
1996 Ford Ranger pickup....4 cly, 5 speed, with AC. All stock FOMOCO.....Problem: After driving a few minutes and killing the engine, upon resart, the charge gauge reads discharge. Sometimes it continues to discharge untill the battery is dead and the vehicle stops running. Sometimes it will jump back up to normal charge after driving awhile.

Diagnosis so far. Battery reads 12.8 (sitting, engine off)
When charging properly, battery reads 14.2
When gauge shows discharge, battery reads 11.6 (and
slowly drops lower and lower)
I have tried loading the system (i.e., turn on AC, radio, lights, flashers, etc., but no change.

Since the battery checks good and the alternator/regulator checks good (when charging), where do I go next. Is it possible to have a brush sticking in the alternator, or is someting not exciting the circut, etc.?

I know this is not a hot rod, but it is the only vehlicle i have to drive right now, as my 37 plymouth coupe is getting a front end rebuild. Thanks
"Charging Properly" at 14.2 sounds low to me, but I'm a partsman by trade ... not a technician. I believe it should be higher ... around 15.4 V.

Reduced output is usually due (I think) to a bad rectifier / diodes in the alternator. I suspect that this may also be what is causing the drain.

Take the alternator off, and into your local parts store. Most places can test them and recommend a replacement if bad. Again, some stores will "waive" the test fee if you buy a new unit. We used to charge $9.00 for a "bench test" on an integrally regulated alternator.

HTH,
Don
Old 09-20-2006, 05:09 PM
Car? Truck? Who Cares

Last journal entry: First week of December
Last photo:

My 94 T-Bird was hving charging issues some time back
New Battery
Kept failing---would not start--every couple of days

had the alternator tested---good
did this about 4 times and FINALLY--the Alt wigged out while they were testing.

I was told something about a flakey diode inside

Changed the alt--car has worked fine ever since.

Bryan

Last edited by Bryan59EC; 09-20-2006 at 05:10 PM. Reason: misspelling
Old 09-20-2006, 05:13 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Doc here,

Next time it shows a drain, (duplicate the problem) , pull the wires from the alternator and see if it goes to zero..If so, you have a bad regulator Diode pack..(reverse biasing , or leaking backwards)

Either get a rebuild kit, or A new alternator..

If the drain does not change, pull a battery cable , with your DVOM set for AMPS and highest scale, place one probe on the cable the other on the battery and observe the reading, scale it back until the meter barely tops out the readout, this will be your true draw. If you have a computer, CD radio with active presets, Clock, alarm..it should read around 0.3 to 0.8 amps (less than an amp to be normal..If not:

If the fuse box is well marked pull all the fuses and relays, with your meter still hooked up, it should read zero..If so plug the fuses and relays back in until the current jumps up..follow that branch circuit, it is the offender, and repair / disable as required..

14.4 volts on a charging circuit is Perfect..exactly where it needs to be.

Doc

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.