Alternator Identification Chevy - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2012, 11:55 AM
64Joker

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Alternator Identification Chevy

Attempting to identify my alternator and amp(s) output:
I had the car for about 9 years, the electrical was upgraded to HEI by the previous owner, so I'm not sure if this was an generator to alternator upgrade!

Make: Chevrolet
Year: 1964
Engine: 327 cui

These numbers/letters were on the back of the alternator:

Made in USA
DR
5MF
USA
INA
BCH06604
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo12171019.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	248.2 KB
ID:	69858   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo12171020.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	213.4 KB
ID:	69859   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo12171020_1.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	226.0 KB
ID:	69860   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo12171020_2.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	225.3 KB
ID:	69861  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2012, 01:09 PM

lowest output alternator I know of is 37 amps. The 65 amp alt looks the same on the outside
Old 12-17-2012, 01:17 PM
64Joker

Last photo:

Amp Output

I'm looking to upgrade my alternator to accommodate a dakota digital dash, spal electric fan (30 amps), stereo, HEI electrical.
What alternator amperage and manufacture is recommended?
Old 12-17-2012, 01:38 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

The '64 has an external regulator. The alternator shown is an external type.

The least expensive way to do this would be to use a new SI or even a good used CS series alternator from a junkyard. The CS might need a different pulley so the SI is often an easier swap.

You can wire it yourself w/the plug from the donor vehicle or there are plugs to adapt it to an older vehicle's wiring. Examples: alternator conversion wiring harness adapter

There are wiring diagrams for converting to the newer internal regulator type alternators. Google IYF. You can search here on the forum for them.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:07 PM

Here is a website that have the alternator conversion kits. Has pictures of the internal voltage regulator alternators that fit too. http://www.wiringharness.com/PDFS/FS..._Passenger.pdf Then all you have to do is purchase an alternator from the Auto Parts store for a later model 1985 Camaro for example. They have factory replacement 94 amp alternators and one wire chrome 100 amp alternators. Depends on how much money you want to spend.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:32 PM
64Joker

Last photo:

Follow-up

When I upgrade from an external alternator to an internal, besides the conversion wiring kit, will I need to modify/remove any other parts such as the stock voltage regulator?

Which year(s) will the new internal alternator match up best for installation configuration (bolts) on my 64 Impala 327 cui engine? The less modifications the better!

What does the prefix number stand for in an alternator "12SI" for example?

Last edited by 64Joker; 12-18-2012 at 02:38 PM.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:23 PM

The “SI” in the model number stands for Systems Integrated, meaning that the voltage regulator is inside of the alternator. You do not remove the voltage regulator unless you want to clean up the radiator support. I would leave it. On my 67 Camaro I bought the conversion kit from Camaro Central and the alternator from Advance Auto Parts that was it.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:06 PM

The “SI” in the model number stands for Systems Integrated, meaning that the voltage regulator is inside of the alternator. You do not remove the voltage regulator unless you want to clean up the radiator support. I would leave it. On my 67 Camaro I bought the conversion kit from Camaro Central and the alternator from Advance Auto Parts that was it. The kit number I gave you on the other post #5, 27555 purchase a 1975-85 alternator.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:24 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64Joker View Post
When I upgrade from an external alternator (DN-series) to an internal, besides the conversion wiring kit, will I need to modify/remove any other parts such as the stock voltage regulator?

Which year(s) will the new internal alternator match up best for installation configuration (bolts) on my 64 Impala 327 cui engine? The less modifications the better!

What does the prefix number stand for in an alternator "12SI" for example?
You will want to run a thicker wire from the Batt. terminal on the alternator to the battery. In most cases this is smaller than what you'd like to see from the factory to save a few pennies, and because the original alternator output was lower. The grounds all need to be good, obviously. Metal-to-metal and redundant. More on grounds, etc. here.

If using an SI/CS type alternator, the external voltage regulator can be removed- it won't be connected to the wiring system.

Most of your questions should be covered here: MadElectrical.com - Electrical Tech

The highest output production SI-type alternator I know of is the 12SI 94 amp and there may be higher output units than this. Not all 12SI are 94 amp, you have to check the stampings. Aftermarket units can be higher. The production CS ("Charging System") 120 or 130 (size in MM) are available stock up to 120 amp, maybe more.

For the exact application to ask for at the parts store will depend on the clocking of the mounting holes on your existing alternator. Doing some research will be needed unless someone here has an app you can use for a direct swap.

Last edited by cobalt327; 12-18-2012 at 05:30 PM.
Old 12-22-2012, 02:57 PM
64Joker

Last photo:

AMP(s) Output During "Idle"

Researching a 12SI Delco Remy 94 amp alternator to replace my stock external setup. Still waiting for the specs from "Delco Remy" for the amps output during "idle".

I'm running a dakota digital dash, modern stereo, hei, and spal 60amp fan!

What would be a decent amperage reading for the "idle speed" on this type of alternator for my application: 1964 Chevrolet Impala, 327 cui, auto tran)?

Old 12-22-2012, 03:59 PM
WFO

Last photo:

According to here: http://www.delcoremy.com/Documents/E...ion-Guide.aspx the idle output is around 30 amps for a 12SI.

If you don't idle all the time, there shouldn't be a problem using a standard 12SI type alternator, as long as the battery(ies) are fully adequate. That's one reason guys use multiple batteries w/megs watt stereos, IIRC.

If idle speed output is critical you can overdrive the alternator (less than desireable if you run the engine at high rpm) or use a CS series alternator.

Last edited by cobalt327; 12-22-2012 at 04:06 PM.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:41 AM

Last photo:

X2 on upgrading the Charging wire "Alt to Batt", stock is 10g I believe. Depending on output you'll need to use 4g-6g wire. Chart Info >> Alternator Wire Size
Using Relays to run the Headlights is a very good upgrade as well.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:23 PM
64Joker

Last photo:

Alternator Front/Back Cover Plates

Will it be relatively easy to remove the front and back alternator covers in order to power coat or plate them?

This is the alternator that I'm interested in:

NAPA AUTO PARTS
Old 12-26-2012, 03:52 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64Joker View Post
Will it be relatively easy to remove the front and back alternator covers in order to power coat or plate them?

This is the alternator that I'm interested in:

NAPA AUTO PARTS
Taking an alternator apart and reassembling it is not a big deal. I'd be surprised if there wasn't a hundred tutorials and videos of it.

I think you're going to want to pull it all the way down, gutted completely of all the electrical components. I'd say to remove the bearings as well, but maybe someone will know if the bearings can withstand the oven temp needed to powder coat.

Getting the pulley nut off is easy if you have an air impact. Check to be sure the nut isn't peened to retain it, if it is try to file or grind away as much of the peened over area as you can safely do. Use locktite to reassemble or re-peen.

When it's time to do the brushes, they can be pushed into the holders and a piece of wire used to hold them back so that half of the case can go over the armature. Let the wire stick out the case half so it can be removed with the case together- you'll see what I mean when you get to that stage.

Be sure you mark both sides of the case so it'll go back together clocked right.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:55 PM

I have a 12si that is similar to the one you picked from NAPA, but the clocking for the terminals on mine is 3 o'clock (when it is mounted, the two plug terminal is on the right side about straight out), which works well with a high mounted passenger side alternator. Depending on how your alternator is mounted, you may want to have differently clocking.

I don't think you will have any low rpm voltage problems with a 94 amp 12si. It kicks up the voltage to 13.8v very quickly as rpm rises above idle.

Bruce

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.