alternator melting wire? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2010, 06:01 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

alternator melting wire?

HIeverybody this is my first post so bear with me.
I installed a CS130 alternator on my 67 firebird and when I hooked up the battery cables the small gauge red wire that goes to the junction on the core support got red hot and the insulation melted. I quickly unhooked the battery ( the +) and connected a test lamp to the pos terminal on the battery and checked to the junction on the core support and the light lit up. Then I disconnected the alternator and checked the wire againand the light stayed off. I checked t the BAT terminal on the alternator and the light lite up. Does this mean the alternator is bad? resistance from the BAT terminal to the case of the alternator is 190 Ohms.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2010, 08:25 AM

Last journal entry: A little progress and maybe new paint
Last photo:

Usually if a hot wire gets "hot" and starts glowing, smoking, catches fire, etc...it is because there is a wire on the positive side that is grounded. And it does not have to be directly in line to the alternator. Use a multi meter or gound test to see which hot wire is connected to ground. Disconnect the battery and test the positive side for a ground connection and if this is your problem it will read ground. Then just start tracing your way back. I would start at the junction box. That usually narrows it down to a certain section of the wiring that could be the problem.

Keep in mind that it could just be two wires that got hot and are now touching, 1 hot and a ground for example.

Hope this helps,
Josh
Old 02-04-2010, 11:52 AM

I disconnected the battery and went from the positive wire to the battery with the alternator connected and the light lights up. I did the same test but with the alternator disconnected and the light stays off.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:42 PM

Ok, so I've been trying things and this is what I've come up with. With the alternator mounted NO wires hooked to it. The battery ground connected. If I run a wire from the positive on the battery to the BAT terminal on the alternator It trips a 30A fuse.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:17 PM

Last journal entry: A Few Years Later...
Last photo:

my guess is a toasted alt. There should be no continuity between the case and the pos terminal.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:13 PM

I just got back from advance auto they tested the alt and it's good. So, I put iton AGAIN and tested continuity from the atl terminal to ground and there is no continuity. But when I connect a test light to the alt terminal and to the POS on the battery. The light lites up but it feels like it becomes magnetic. IAm so confused.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:42 PM

Last photo:

Sounds Like A Dead Short In A Main Power Wire

Hey Man, I'm not sure but it sounds like you have a hot wire going straight to ground somewhere. Check all the main hot wires, especially around the starter. If your putting a 130amp alt. you need to put some bigger wire off the alternator to the battery and add on your old stuff to a junction block coming from the battery. But it's still sounding like a dead short, you may have fryed the main lead into the dash area with the big alternator. If it just melted to ground somewhere, you maybe able to just tape it up if the wire didn't fry to bad. olnolan

Oh, what was wrong with it to make you want to change the alternator? And just how did you set up the new alternator wiring wise? Its hard to trouble shoot through a computer.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:58 PM

Last journal entry: A little progress and maybe new paint
Last photo:

Above poster is what I was saying also. You have a hot wire somewhere that is grounding out. That does not mean it is th alternator or any wire touching it.

You should be checking for a ground signal on a hot wire. If you are using a typical test light it only checks for hot, unless you have the seperate one for testing ground.

It sounds like you have a multi-meter so just set it to check continuity. Then disconnect the battery. Then put one probe on the positive terminal wire and the other on a ground, any ground. You can touch the frame,engine block, bracket, etc. If the multi-meter says there is a connection(continuity), then there is a problem and you have a hot wire that is grounded out some where.

I would again go back to the positive junction box and preform the same test as you just did. You will find some positive wires that it will not show connected to ground, and hopefully only one that is. Trace that wire and you will find your problem.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:21 PM

Try this out I checked the voltage of the battery With my Fluke meter and with the meter leads hooked up right, the red test lead touching the positive terminal,and the common test lead on the negative terminal I got -12.4VDC. I flip flopped the leads ( which in essence would be backward ) and I got +12VDC. I put the battery cables on backwards (POS cable to neg terminal, and ground cable to POS terminal) connected my alternator and the fuse does not blow. I checked voltage at the alternator BAT terminal to ground ( using the test leads correctly) and I get +12 VDC. FINALLY. So as far I can tell right now the terminals on the battery are either labeled wrong or the battery flipped it's polarity. (highly doubt the polarity, wrong labeling is believable) WHAT A HEADACHE. Buying a new battery tomarrow and will try this all again.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:23 PM

Oh yeah, I ment to say this I think I was charging the engine with 12VDC and when I connected the terminal to the alternator it caused a magnet and shorted, Only theory though.

The reason for the CS130 is for a little cleaner wiring (not amperage, output is only 105A)and removal of the voltage regulator from the core support, along with the horn relay being switch to a conventional relay on the grill side of the core support.

Last edited by ducrider123; 02-04-2010 at 07:30 PM.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:35 PM

Last photo:

Reverse Charged Battery?

Man I have heard of it before, but I haven't ever tryed it. Ya got me real curious now. olnolan
Old 02-04-2010, 07:38 PM

You've never tried? the conversion?
Old 02-04-2010, 07:42 PM

Last photo:

Read it again

No, I've never brought a battery to dead and tryed to reverse charge it. Yes, I have done several alternator upgrades on old chevys. olnolan
Old 02-04-2010, 07:47 PM

Apparently I have brought one back to life backwards, Ican tell you the secret if you want to know. It involves battery cables, a battery, an elephant, an midget, and alot of ice.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:55 PM

Last photo:

okay

so lets hear it, cause that don't compute.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.