alternator not charging - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2005, 11:14 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

alternator not charging

My son has replaced the battery, alternator and voltage regular within the last month in his '68 Impala but the idiot light is dimmly lit. The voltage is only putting out 12.8 when running. What can be wrong?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2005, 12:16 PM

Same problem

I'm having the exact same problem in my 59. I got a 350 out of a 72 and a 3 wire alternator.

What about you Seon; whats your set up?
Old 12-09-2005, 01:10 PM

Yep, same thing on my son's car. I think the best thing is to eliminate the external alternator and replace it with an internal alternator. But the problem is that my son lives about 75 miles from me and he doesn't know "Jack" about wrenching . Plus he doesn't have a garage to work in so unless he comes over, he's S.O.L.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:18 PM

Last photo:

try tightening the belt some more, can be slippage
Old 12-09-2005, 02:36 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Start it up, and take the negative terminal off the battery. If it keeps running, its charging. I think the belt is just loose. Get a new one.

Budget RVs
Old 12-09-2005, 05:57 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Doc here,

Try adjusting the Air gap on the regulator...

Pull the cover off the regulator and get a feeler gauge, look up in the manual or on the web, the air gap adjustment for the contact points and set appropriately..

Check the contacts to be sure they aren't pitted, or burned, burnish if needed.

Doc
Old 12-09-2005, 06:44 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seon
My son has replaced the battery, alternator and voltage regular within the last month in his '68 Impala but the idiot light is dimmly lit. The voltage is only putting out 12.8 when running. What can be wrong?
bad engine ground or alternator ground. Check for voltage between the engine and the neg battery terminal. If you get any reading you have a ground issue. Do teh same from teh alternator housing. The alternator monts are known to corrode.
Old 12-10-2005, 12:10 PM

Well I got to work on my son's alternator. It was only putting out 12.8 Volts at the alternator and battery terminal. I brought an alternator I had sitting on the self but it too put out only 12.8 volts. Could it be the new replacement regulator is bad (?).

Lucky for me I brought a second alternator but with an internal regulator and installed that. I wired it by running a 12 ga. wire from the alternator "batt" post to the battery. Then from #2 post to the "batt" post on the alternator. Output is 14.9 Volts.
I disconnected the 4 wire lead to the regulator and taped the existing alternator external wires on the other end.
This should work until he gets it over to my garage at home so I can work on it in my heated garage .
Old 12-10-2005, 05:19 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Quote:
Well I got to work on my son's alternator. It was only putting out 12.8 Volts at the alternator and battery terminal. I brought an alternator I had sitting on the self but it too put out only 12.8 volts.[U] Could it be the new replacement regulator is bad (?).

Lucky for me I brought a second alternator but with an internal regulator and installed that. I wired it by running a 12 ga. wire from the alternator "batt" post to the battery. Then from #2 post to the "batt" post on the alternator. Output is 14.9 Volts.
I disconnected the 4 wire lead to the regulator and taped the existing alternator external wires on the other end.
This should work until he gets it over to my garage at home so I can work on it in my heated garage .
Doc here,

Adjust the Air gaps on the regulator contacts.....

Two Alternators at 12. 8 volts running through the regulator as opposed to one NOT running through the regulator at 14.9 Volts ought to tell you the story...

Stay Warm!

Doc

Last edited by docvette; 12-10-2005 at 05:22 PM. Reason: bumbling bigthumbitis.........
Old 01-17-2006, 11:45 AM

Hey Doc,
Holidays are over with and my son brought back the wagon, so can you tell me what's the air gap suppose to be set at? Thanks
Old 01-17-2006, 04:15 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Quote:
Hey Doc,
Holidays are over with and my son brought back the wagon, so can you tell me what's the air gap suppose to be set at? Thanks

Doc here,

The air gap should Be adjusted at about 0.20, BEFORE you stick a metal feeler gauge in there, disconnect the battery!

For more on Regulator troubleshooting and adjustments, (and there is more) GO here and do some reading:

http://www.42fordgpw.com/voltage.html

Doc
Old 01-17-2006, 05:44 PM
Bowtie or Die!

Last photo:

Not trying to step on any toes here, but have you ever considerd tossing that old ext reg job for a reliable, easy to install and repair 1 wire alt. I understand using the old set up if your keeping the car origanal, but if its just a rod or something the first thing I would do is can that ext regulator crap.
Old 01-17-2006, 06:18 PM

Hey Doc...you're the man, thanks so much. .

For 67 Deuce..I agree but it's my son's car and I'm just helping him out. As I'm sure you've read in my previous post, I installed another Alternator, wiring it as a one wire but it was putting out 14.9Volts and IMO that's a little too much. I would like to see it around 13.5 - 14.2Volts. Unless of course, 14.9 volts is acceptable??
Old 01-18-2006, 12:58 AM

When all is working, you should have between 14,0 - 14,2 messured over the battery-poles when engine is running. If you got more than 14,4 explosive gas is starting to build up in the battery, no good. (if you seen "swollen" batterys you now know why) If you got under 14,0 the battery is not loading up to the 100 percent level. And if you only got 13,4 volt the battery is loading up only to 55 percent. (the best way is to messure with a digital instrument)
Old 01-19-2006, 12:58 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Hey Doc...you're the man, thanks so much. .

For 67 Deuce..I agree but it's my son's car and I'm just helping him out. As I'm sure you've read in my previous post, I installed another Alternator, wiring it as a one wire but it was putting out 14.9Volts and IMO that's a little too much. I would like to see it around 13.5 - 14.2Volts. Unless of course, 14.9 volts is acceptable??
You need to change the location of your "sensing wire". I'm assuming you're new Internally regulated Alt is a 3 wire type. The main post on the back of the alternator should go to the battery. The sensing wire (1 of the 2 pegs in the plug on the side of the alternator. In most cases the sensing wire should be connected to your main junction (where all the fused links join).

Connect it here, then test the voltage at the battery with the engine running. It should read 14.2 optimally at the battery.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.