Alternator or other electrical problem ? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2005, 06:52 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Alternator or other electrical problem ?

I have a 1972 Kona jet boat with a 455 olds. I am the original owner. Last year I had all of the gauges and wiring replaced due to a short in the electrical system that couldn’t be found. That problem was cured. However since those repairs were done late last summer and the boat was stored for the winter I didn’t release there was another problem that was starting to surface. Prior to going on vacation I replaced the battery with a new one and went to the local lake to make sure all was well mechanically. After starting and stopping the battery went dead. Prior to the battery going dead I noticed the voltmeter to read a couple of “hairs” above 12. I assumed the original 2-wire alternator (Motorola Type B 35 AMP) with the regulator attached to the backside of the alternator had gone bad. I then purchased a brand new (no rebuilt) Prestolite/Leece-Neville alternator that was a replacement for the original Motorola alternator. Again, back to the lake. After starting the engine the voltmeter read a couple of “hairs” above 12. After stopping and starting the voltmeter read below 12 and then eventually to 10. I took the alternator back to where it was purchased and they told me it would be replaced if it were bad. The alternator was tested and I was told it was ok. Any ideas or direction would be greatly appreciated for this novice. Thank You.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2005, 07:04 PM

Last photo:

No Juice in the Jet

Check you're grounds, boats don't usually have
metal frames, so you're ground connections become big deals.
just a thought.
Keep Your Wheels Turn'n
D
Old 08-26-2005, 07:10 PM

Last photo:

Regarding the wires to the backside of both alternators in question; there is only one wire with a slip type connector coming from the voltage regulator. I have to attach another wire to the positive post of the alternator. Sorry for any confusion.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.