alternator is overcharging - need advice what to do - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2010, 12:12 PM
oldsmobile compatible

Last wiki edit: Selling your car Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 29

alternator is overcharging - need advice what to do

I noticed my 2004 Dodge truck has been showing overcharging on the voltmeter for a few weeks since I replaced its dead battery. (The dead can't hold a charge for more than a day. I wonder if it's this overcharging that killed it. Anyways...)

I just checked the voltage of the new battery with a multimeter. 12.5 V when turned the engine is off and just over 15 V when running. I heard this may mean a problem with the alternator. I assume the regular would be responsible for allowing the overcharging? If so, is it worth replacing the entire alternator, or is it common to replace the defective part within?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2010, 02:08 PM
oldsmobile compatible

Last wiki edit: Selling your car Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 29

I'm not sure why but the edit button does not show up on the bottom right of my first post. However, where I wrote "regular" should read "regulator".
Old 11-28-2010, 02:20 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

The charging system is regulated by the PCM. It may need to be reflashed as running out of calibration could have corrupted the flash program.The alternator has no internal regulator on your truck
Old 11-28-2010, 02:24 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

If you can find the part then just change the regulator. Before you do you may want to check all connections to the alternator, especially the ground and sense wire to be sure they are solid. This is a fairly common issue. USUALLY when the regulators go bad they either open up (most common) so you get no charge or Short and charge upwards of 17-19 volts.

Over charging will kill a battery is a short time.
A bad ground or sense connection could make the alternator "think" the system voltage is to low and make it put out more.

Chet
Old 12-02-2010, 02:51 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigjamelectric
I noticed my 2004 Dodge truck has been showing overcharging on the voltmeter for a few weeks since I replaced its dead battery. (The dead can't hold a charge for more than a day. I wonder if it's this overcharging that killed it. Anyways...)

I just checked the voltage of the new battery with a multimeter. 12.5 V when turned the engine is off and just over 15 V when running. I heard this may mean a problem with the alternator. I assume the regular would be responsible for allowing the overcharging? If so, is it worth replacing the entire alternator, or is it common to replace the defective part within?
15 volts is higher than typical but not so high that the battery will go up in smoke. Keep an eye on the battery, if you can check the cells look to see if the electrolyte remains above the plates once a week or so. Sometimes a new battery will soak up quite a bit of charge especially if driven short periods between starts. You might want to put a load test on the new battery to see what its state of charge is, new doesn't mean good, especially if it's one of those from a big box parts stores regardless of the version you bought.

Yes a dying regulator or alternator can take out a battery and conversely a dying battery can take either or both of them out. There is a lot of interdependency of parts within charging systems.

It's been suggested you check the grounds between engine and battery always a good idea, they get corroded increasing the resistance thru the connection, the regulator will raise the power output of the alternator to overcome this if it has to burn it to the ground doing so. Same can be said for battery cables. The battery connections need to be clean. The same can be said for the crimp ends on the cables, the wire and the terminal corrode inside that junction increasing the resistance across the joint to which the regulator will redouble the alternator's efforts to bridge power across that joint if it's dirty.

Bogie

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.