Hot Rod Forum banner

Alternator Question

776 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Wrencher 
#1 ·
I`m running a 108 amp alternator on my 86 olds cutlass, the bushings went out on the front right behind the fan and pulley. I can do the basic work on alternators, but I`ve never learned how to change the bushings, the rear one seems to be okay, but the front one has a lot of slack and play in it, you can grab the pulley and really move it around, I`m asking how is this removed and how is the bushing changed? I`ve seen where I can just buy the bushings, so this is what i`d like to do instead of having to buy another alternator.

#2 ·
The front should be a bearing, with a 3 screw cover over it. Remove the nut, pulley and fan, remove the frt housing and flip over, remove cover, drive bearing out and replace!I'd replace the rear too! If the frt moves that much, the rear bushing's probably wore also!!If there's no cap on the rear outside bushing, pick it out with a small punch, drive the new one in carefully with a shouldered driver HTH

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.