Alternator run on - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2010, 07:09 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Alternator run on

i found today that if i switch the motor off it continues to run until it runs out of fuel,, is it possible that the alternator is backfeeding the ignition system.. if i disconnect the alt light wire at the alternator motor stops as soon as i turn it off, also if i remove the bulb it stops when turned off.. when i turn it off the warning light comes on and stays on until motor runs out off fuel..alternator is a powermaster 7294

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2010, 12:22 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by zephyrc
i found today that if i switch the motor off it continues to run until it runs out of fuel,, is it possible that the alternator is backfeeding the ignition system.. if i disconnect the alt light wire at the alternator motor stops as soon as i turn it off, also if i remove the bulb it stops when turned off.. when i turn it off the warning light comes on and stays on until motor runs out off fuel..alternator is a powermaster 7294
A diode in that line will solve your issue. This is common with some aftermarket harnesses that are not 100% correct or poorly designed home wiring jobs. The easiest fix is the diode. If you search here for the word diode you should get the info and part # you need.

Chet
Old 06-27-2010, 01:05 PM

should the voltage sensing wire be run from the battery or can i join it into the charging post at the alternator
Old 06-28-2010, 09:15 AM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

Quote:
From your statement you do not have the alternator indicator light wire connected correctly.The wire that runs from the alternator #1 terminal to the alternator (idiot) light, should then go from the bulb to a switched terminal on the ignition switch. I suggest using the ignition terminal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DelcoSI2wiring-small.JPG
Views:	2820
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	46468  
Old 06-28-2010, 05:23 PM

frisco,, the warning light is wired as you have shown,, i have ordered a diode to go in the line
Old 06-28-2010, 08:38 PM

Last photo:

Unrealted to your run-on issue but the #2 terminal shouldnt go to the battery (jumpered). Its the sense line that tells the alternator if it needs to output more to charge the battery and ideally should be as far from the battery as you can get (usually the fuse box +12). No harm in just jumpering it other than the fact that it doesnt really sense that you've lost voltage far away from the alternator at the fuse box.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:42 AM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

Quote:
frisco,, the warning light is wired as you have shown,, i have ordered a diode to go in the line
To quote myself from the previous post...The wire that runs from the alternator #1 terminal to the alternator (idiot) light, should then go from the bulb to a switched terminal on the ignition switch. I suggest using the ignition terminal.

If you wire it this way you have no need to add a diode.

Here is another quote from a previous post from me on the same problem.

If using an indicator light, you would use a single element bulb with a non-grounded (plastic) socket. It will have two wires coming from it. It does not make any difference which wire connects to the #1 wire coming from the alternator. The other wire from the socket connects to the ignition terminal on the ignition switch. When you turn on the ignition switch, current flows thru the bulb to the alternator (internally grounded) and will light up the bulb. Once the engine has been started the light will go out.

If you prefer to use a diode (not a resistor), you will connect it so that the current will only flow from the ignition terminal of the ignition switch to the alternator. A diode only allows the flow of current in one direction. The diode will prevent current from going back to the ignition switch and this will prevent a "run on" condition when the ignition switch is turned off. Use a Radio Shack #1N4001 diode or an equivalent value.

Speedway Motors offers an alternator wiring harness for the GM internally regulated alternator with the correct diode. Part #910-64100.

Alternator Harness

NOTE:

Whether you use a diode or an indicator bulb, the connection will go from the #1 terminal on the alternator thru the diode or indicator bulb and then to the ignition terminal on the ignition switch. The ignition terminal is hot only when the switch is in the ON position.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	91064100_L.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	46488  
Old 06-29-2010, 08:59 AM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbahotep
Unrealted to your run-on issue but the #2 terminal shouldnt go to the battery (jumpered). Its the sense line that tells the alternator if it needs to output more to charge the battery and ideally should be as far from the battery as you can get (usually the fuse box +12). No harm in just jumpering it other than the fact that it doesnt really sense that you've lost voltage far away from the alternator at the fuse box.
Below is a photo of the wiring on the alternator on my old '30 Ford Coupe. It is wired the same as I posted above. It worked excellent. I used an idiot light. I have used this wiring method for Chevy alternators at least six times in the past with excellent results.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:30 AM
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbahotep
Partly true, the sense wire needs to be at the point of 12 volt distribution. That could be the fuse panel or it could be a terminal strip located under the hood or dash. It has nothing to do with being as far away as possible from the battery 12+.

I have set up a number of GM alternators as Frisco has indicated and they also have been working flawlessly.

Vince
Old 06-29-2010, 11:37 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
You will see a band on it (cathode end), put the cathode terminal towards the alternator.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:31 PM

frisco,, i understand now what you are describing, mine is wired from the ign live fuse box which also powers the msd..that is my problem, it is feeding the ign directly when i shut the switch off.. it is easier now for me to fit the diode..thanks very much for the info.. next time i wire a car i will do it the correct way
Old 06-29-2010, 02:54 PM
Paisano

Last wiki edit: How to remove an ignition key lock
Wiki Edits: 4

Quote:

About 20 year ago,I worked on a Ford Tauris that had the same concern you have.The alternator was at fault, with a bad diode.If you install a in line diode as quoted,you may take care of the problem,but your alternator may have a draw on it and make your battery discharge when turned off.Do the thing right,the less wiring you have the better the better off youl'l be in the long run.Years from now you may already forgotten about the inline repair.
Paisano

Last edited by The Flyin Wop; 06-30-2010 at 07:36 AM.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:03 PM
Last photo:

A diode is electricity's check valve, it only allows current to flow in one direction.

Vince
Old 06-30-2010, 07:34 AM
Paisano

Last wiki edit: How to remove an ignition key lock
Wiki Edits: 4

Yeah Vince your right.Until it shorts out and lets it flow both ways,causing the voltage to reverse when turned off.Or if a positive diode shorts against the case,it will sometimes let the motor continue to run.Negative diodes usually don't have that problem.
Paisano
Old 06-30-2010, 08:36 AM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

Quote:
frisco,, i understand now what you are describing, mine is wired from the ign live fuse box which also powers the msd..that is my problem, it is feeding the ign directly when i shut the switch off.. it is easier now for me to fit the diode..thanks very much for the info.. next time i wire a car i will do it the correct way
Placing the corect size diode and keeping the wiring as you currently have it MAY (should) solve your run on problem.

It would be much safer and correct to run the wire to the ignition terminal on the ignition switch. That is because there will be no current to the alternator unless the ignition switch is turned on.

I still prefer using the idiot light over the diode as it is a quick indicator of alternator failure (such as a thrown fan belt) if it comes on while the engine is running.

Easier is not always the best way to do things. ENJOY!!!

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.