Alternator - small bind when turned - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2005, 07:34 AM
Move It On Over!

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Alternator - small bind when turned

I got a new 140A Powermaster alternator from Summit yesterday and when I spin it, it kind of lightly binds at one point during the rotation. It is not hitting against anything and feels like a magnetic pull. This happens spinning it slow or as fast as I can spin it by hand.

Is this normal? I don't think it is and would appreciate some opinions before I call Summit for another one.

Thanks,

Dan

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2005, 10:46 AM
STUPID is as STUPID does...

Last wiki edit: Crankshaft Coalition Wiki Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

You may have a bent armature shaft. Check the runout at the pulley. The armature runs inside magnets so the pull is a good thing and a bent shaft would reduce the air gap to the magnets creating your "bind"...
Mark
Old 08-18-2005, 11:21 AM
Move It On Over!

Last photo:

I talked with Powermaster's tech support and the guy said that it may be caused by the thing sitting on the shelf for a while and the weight being on one part of the bearings. The inspection tag says 6/1/05, which isn't *that* long. He said that it will probably go away after installing and running it for a little while. If not, its got a 1 year warranty.
Old 08-18-2005, 03:53 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Drag

Doc here,

Yeah, and cancer gets better all by itself...

What's probably happening is the Bearing probably has a flat ball in it, OR the Brushes are misaligned...

I would Take it back! Rod knocks don't get better "just running it" Why should a bad shaft bearing or a set of bad brushes??

Tell "em you didn't pay for the audio option...

Doc
Old 08-18-2005, 08:55 PM

Last photo:

I've dealt with Summit many times through the years and have had no problems returning items. If your not satisfied witht he product, say so on the order form and return it. If you have them send another one you may run into the same problem, so I would request a refund and then go somewhere else for a replacement. You may be out the cost of shipping. Next, go somewhere you can feel the rotation before you buy it. Also, I don't go to Autostoned or Desperate Auto Parts (DAP) for alternators. I go to a shop in town here that works on them in house. I've only bought one from them years ago and have had them rebuild it once since then. Works for me!
Old 08-19-2005, 09:01 AM
Move It On Over!

Last photo:

I'm sending it back. I think it was dropped or something. The factory box was a little beat up and it was the last one on the shelf - Summit is out of them until next month.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:44 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Alternator

Sometime the case just gets miss-aligned due to poor handling by UPS or who ever. This can usually be cured by loosening the 3 or 4 screws that hold the case together, moving it a bit to see if the bind goes away and then re-tightening the screws evenly !!

Hope this helps
Old 08-19-2005, 03:05 PM
Move It On Over!

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-bucket23
Sometime the case just gets miss-aligned due to poor handling by UPS or who ever. This can usually be cured by loosening the 3 or 4 screws that hold the case together, moving it a bit to see if the bind goes away and then re-tightening the screws evenly !!

Hope this helps
I'll give that a try. The reason I got this item in the first place was the Jegs chrome case kit I put on my stock alternator is cheap and the bearings make a bunch of noise after running for a few minutes. And, I broke the ceramic housing inside swaping the case, and well, I'm just tired of dealing with alternators! The Powermaster is a nice polished chrome 12si 3-wire alternator - just what I wanted.

Anyway, I ordered another one from Pace Performance - they have it in stock and it'll be here next week.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:57 PM
Move It On Over!

Last photo:

T-bucket23 - loosening the bolts and jiggling it a bit didn't help.

I got the new one from Pace today and noticed a few differences - First, it didn't bind when I spun it, the Box wasn't beat up, there were instructions and the shaft on the allen head socket end wasn't drilled/rounded out I didn't try, but I bet it would have been a pain in the to remove the pulley and put my serpentine pulley on.

I'm going to send the old one back to Summit and get a refund and let them have a word or two about quality control - this alternator was obviously a returned item. Might even send a photo of the drilled/rounded out shaft!
Old 08-23-2005, 08:08 PM
400SBC4Life

Last photo:

send photos
Old 08-23-2005, 08:16 PM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

I quit buying from Summit a long time ago.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:18 PM
Move It On Over!

Last photo:

Summit did send me a nice hat with my first order - but my wife claimed it.

I do like Summit because you can find out if what you want is in stock before you order it online.

Here's the photo - you can see that the end of the shaft has no hex-head at all. It's about 3/4's the way down before you can see the six sides.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01328.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	6567  
Old 08-24-2005, 07:40 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Rebuilt Alternators

The problem with all those rebuilts is they are rebuilt in a factory somewhere buy some person who doesnt even know what an alternator is. they just put it together and test it to see if it puts out the proper voltage and amps. If it does it goes in the box. It is a cut throat business and there are a lot of people doing it. I had a friend who had his own starter/alternator rebuilding business. He gave up rebuilding and was just purchasing and re-sell one of the big name rebuilders products. It was cheaper for him to buy than to do the rebuiling himself. He tested every one that came in before selling them. He had a 20-30 percent failure rate, most due to improper assembly or crappy soldering.
Dont get on Summit, they dont open the boxes to test anything. As long as they take care of it when you have a problem thats all you can ask. I have had real good luck with them and their prices can be beat for the most part.

I have had real good luck with Tuff Stuff alternators. fairly decent chrome and I have never had one fail out of the box. They are a little more expensive but they work. I beleive they are all new parts as well.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.