Alternator warning light for 67 mustang. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2010, 07:13 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Alternator warning light for 67 mustang.

Can someone with some electrical knowledge please let me know if the diagram i have sketched here is correct or not. What i am trying to do is add an alternator warning light to the system. I have read that there is an "excitor" wire which kick starts the alternator into charging mode. On the standard mustang wiring diagram, which i have sketched here in pencil, a Green/Red wire is connected from the igniton "run" position to the "S" terminal on the regulator. I think this may be the "excitor" connection.
I have read that the Field wire "white" has zero volts until the alternator starts charging which allows the warning light to glow. When the Field is charged to 12 volts the light goes out as the globe has 12 volts on both sides.
My circuit in red biro is a guess. I can only think that the other way to connect this light may be to cut the Green /Red wire from ignition + and fit the globe in series.
Any help appreciated. thanks
Al.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img028.jpg
Views:	578
Size:	306.0 KB
ID:	46992  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2010, 12:36 AM

Last photo:

Here's a diagram:

(click for link)

I am assuming you are working on a 67 Mustang and the alternator and regulator are correct for that car......

Your plan looks good except instead of wiring the alternator light to the F (field) terminal, you should wire it into the I (indicator) terminal on the regulator.

If you wired the indicator into the field wire as shown in your diagram, it would cause the indicator light to flicker or glow dimly even when the charging system is working correctly. The field terminal isn't always hot, the voltage regulator controls the output voltage of the alternator by turning the field windings on and off in rapid succession.

Also if you wired the indicator into the field wire, it would undermine the operation of the voltage regulator slightly by allowing some voltage through to the field windings (from the ignition through the indicator light) even when the voltage regulator is trying to cycle the field off. It may cause overcharging in certain situations.

Hope this helps....
Old 08-02-2010, 02:00 AM

Last photo:

Alt.warning light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe G
Here's a diagram:

(click for link)

I am assuming you are working on a 67 Mustang and the alternator and regulator are correct for that car......

Your plan looks good except instead of wiring the alternator light to the F (field) terminal, you should wire it into the I (indicator) terminal on the regulator.

If you wired the indicator into the field wire as shown in your diagram, it would cause the indicator light to flicker or glow dimly even when the charging system is working correctly. The field terminal isn't always hot, the voltage regulator controls the output voltage of the alternator by turning the field windings on and off in rapid succession.

Also if you wired the indicator into the field wire, it would undermine the operation of the voltage regulator slightly by allowing some voltage through to the field windings (from the ignition through the indicator light) even when the voltage regulator is trying to cycle the field off. It may cause overcharging in certain situations.

Hope this helps....
thanks Joe G. Yes its a 67 mustang . I bought a new autolite regulator and the car came with a new alternator correct for the Ford. Your explanation is very clear. Thanks for taking the time to explain that.
I found a diagram on the net which backs up what you say so i will go with that and what you have said. I am going to join the terminals at the back of the amp gauge and bypass it for a voltage gauge mounted below the dash with an oil pressure and oil temp gauge. i can fit the red alt. light between the two gauges to keep the Mustang gauge cluster looking standard.
I have ordered a 15 ohm 10 watt resistor as per the diagram to safeguard the charging should the globe pop.
I think i get the picture so a big thanks. I am in the middle of fitting a new loom before i put all the interior and headliner in. Trying to do it once and get it right. Thumbs up............
Just had a look at your photo album. That is one powerful, blown ford you have there. What a piece of work Joe, a bit more power than my 347 would churn out.?????????
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img037.jpg
Views:	622
Size:	683.8 KB
ID:	47126  

Last edited by 67Mustang Al.; 08-02-2010 at 02:20 AM. Reason: missed a bit

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.