Hot Rod Forum banner

Alternator wiring question

815 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Captn_Jim 
#1 ·
I have just re-powered my ride with an up-dated 350 (had an old 327) with the serpentine belt system and it required me to replace the alternator. My old unit was a one wire unit that only connected to the power lug of the alternator. The new alternator also has a plug with only one wire coming out of it. Where does this wire go back to?

Thanks for any help, its all that is keeping me from firing this beast up.

#3 ·
Thanks Chet for the reply, but I "think" I have it figured out. The harness had a wire marked as "alternator exciter" and shows it there on the schematic.
Auto part Engine Vehicle Compact car

Let me know if you see something "off". And "yes" the power wire looks a little small to me as well but it is the one that is within the harness so I am going to see what happens. If I melt it then it will just be easier to trace :thumbup:

Fired it up and runs great, only another situation has come up, so follow this on over to the "suspension-brakes-steering" forum and help me work this one out, please.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.