Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Engine (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/engine/)
-   -   Altima GXE Intake Manifold Gasket (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/altima-gxe-intake-manifold-gasket-114509.html)

awbazar 04-24-2007 08:37 AM

2001 Altima GXE Intake Manifold Gasket

I am wondering if others have encountered problems with the intake manifold gaskets on Nissan Altima GXE's. This model is a 2.4L I4 with EFI and US assembled. The problem encountered was a cracked intake manifold gasket resulting in rough idle, leaking of coolant, and an engine code.

A probable reference to this gasket appears here, although this particular diagram is for 1993 to 1998 models which may be similar:
http://autozone.com/az/cds/en_us/090...rInfoPages.htm

The failed gasket is item 3 on the diagram but the gasket kit includes the intake manifold to intake manifold collector as well.

The first repair with a genuine Nissan part resulted in a second cracked gasket and the followup with an after market gasket set finally was successful.

Magically, this happened shortly after the 6 year/60K mile warranty had crapped out. What a coincidence!

Any comments would be appreciated. I did not see anything on the recall sites with the exception of some tire problems on this particular model.

sel2real 04-24-2007 11:58 AM

what you're talking of is actually a well documented problem occurring on the nissan ka24de for the altima. do a quick google search with some keywords as the criteria and you'll find a surplus of information. i believe the problem is related to how they route the passages for the egr feedback on the intake manifold... an expensive repair for just a gasket!

awbazar 04-24-2007 02:25 PM

Intake Manifold Gasket...

Thanks for the comment sel2real. I'll try some more Google searches on the topic and see what I can find. So far the only searches which I ran were relative to recalls which came up fairly useless.

boomer57tux 01-23-2010 03:37 PM

Nissan Altima 2001 bad intake manifold gasket ..recall?

I bought a Nissan Altima 2001 on Jan 4,2010
With all the excitment I had because my son and wife wanted a car so badly, I did not notice this problem until next day and I said nah...can be...I am just being aprehensive
Next day my son reported the same problem
Next day my wife reported too
This is the problem: Whenever the car is a any intersection it idles rough, like it the engine is going to stop working (never happens)
If I put in Neutral there is no problem, or when I am driving it.
Called my good friend mechanic, check it, and said it was the acelerator cable, too tight he said ($45 gone)
It worked fine for the next day, then the CHECK ENGINE sign appeared.
He came back next week and checked and found a PO171 code and told me he would investigate more on this code since it could be anything from manifold gasket or CO leaking gas mix
Then I found this site and other ones that suggest that may Nissan Altima have the exact same problem INTAKE MANIFOLD GASKET
Any more Nissan owners with the same problem?
It looks like a manufacturing problem that Nissan should fix.
Don yo think? With this bad economy we don't need to be ripped by big companies I think we need help and understanding from them.
Thank you!!

awbazar 01-24-2010 08:42 AM

Intake manifold gasket failure...

Hello boomer57tux,
In your particular situation it may be possible that the seller was aware of this problem and passed it on to you without comment. You may have some recourse with negotiation depending upon the circumstances of how you bought the vehicle. I would contact the seller and pursue a conversation. It is certainly an underhanded process when one passes on known problems as if they did not exist.

In my particular case, my daughter was the car owner and work had been done under warranty. That work eventually failed later past warranty for which she shelled out the cost to fix it a second time.

Since then, I have taken ownership of the car and have had no problems with the car other than a leaking gasket in the valve cover gasket set which seals the four spark plug wells to prevent oil leaking into the spark plug wells from the cam shafts area. That is a fix which an owner can perform if he has some minor mechanical savvy.

This car is fun to drive and seems like a great car. As with any device, there are always certain areas of weakness which may be vulnerable particularly to assembly practices and peculiarities which are unknown.

The example of my oil leak into the second spark plug well is a prime example in which a vertical stud between #2 and #3 plug well distorted the plug well gasket at #2 since there is a connecting strap between the donuts on the plug well gasket which ought to be removed between #2 and #3 plug well in order to avoid deforming the gasket.

This problem was not intentionally designed in but was a failure by installers or gasket makers to warn installers about the presence of the stud between #2 and #3 and not an engineering design failure.

The new Felpro gasket sets also failed to warn customers about this problem which I suspect is common among owners of this vehicle. The Felpro gasket set did not even contain instructions since the installation appears so obvious.

In your case, I'd start by negotiating with the seller and go from there. Nissan dealers may be sympathetic but generally I have found that they pretend to be unaware of certain common problems which always makes me wonder about their honesty. Welcome to the world of business!

awbazar 01-24-2010 08:45 AM

Intake manifold gasket...

Hello again,
In my prior note I failed to answer your question about the frequency of this problem.

Others have had this problem as you will see here:
http://www.carcomplaints.com/Nissan/...r_shakes.shtml

This is not unknown or random and a simple search on the right key words will produce plenty of evidence that you are not alone with this problem.