aluminum Body semi truck help (Please an Thank You) - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2010, 06:21 AM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Got a question deadbodyman. I'm getting ready (now that the temp. and humidity has gone down) to repaint the twin scoops on my GP and was wondering if the new Frog Tape they advertize on TV is any good to use for masking on automotive applications? They claim no bleeding under the edge and easy peel-off with no pull on the paint. A painter I had do them used cheap paint and their peeling after only 5 yrs like an old chrysler! I don't want to remove the scoop's as it took me forever to get them alinged on the hood with 3M and I'm afraid they will hurt the hood paint while taking them off.

You can see the peel on the pass. side scoop.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	03 GP.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	48167  

Advertisement

Last edited by sqzbox; 09-19-2010 at 06:33 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2010, 08:38 PM

Last photo:

Its done but im not happy ! Got some strips in my pearl Not sure I can live with . For some reason I wanted silver pearl and should have used blue . I think it would have helped with my rookie tiger strips. And Then guess what happened 30 min after last coat of clear. RAIN and Heavy too. But when the rain stopped it was dark so not sure what damage was done. I do know it feels rough.
Can I scuff and recoat I used advantage clear and it does not say on tech sheet if it can be recoated like in 1 day or 2 ?

I put pearl in a car this spring lime green base and used green pearl and it turned out good.

All you pros DO NOT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT ME TAKING YOUR JOB !!!! But it has been fun for a hobby.

Old 09-19-2010, 08:50 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqzbox
Got a question deadbodyman. I'm getting ready (now that the temp. and humidity has gone down) to repaint the twin scoops on my GP and was wondering if the new Frog Tape they advertize on TV is any good to use for masking on automotive applications? They claim no bleeding under the edge and easy peel-off with no pull on the paint. A painter I had do them used cheap paint and their peeling after only 5 yrs like an old chrysler! I don't want to remove the scoop's as it took me forever to get them alinged on the hood with 3M and I'm afraid they will hurt the hood paint while taking them off.

You can see the peel on the pass. side scoop.
I havent heard of it but I doubt its any good if it was advertised on tv there may be no easy fix I would try heating them up from underneath the hood to soften the glue a little and peel them off with a plastic putty knife...if you mark them first theyll go right back in place...
you just want to paint the scoops right ?not the whole hood ...If you want to increase the value or sell it faster get one of these hoods most are black and wont need paint...I bought this one for 100.00 with a little damage ,they're fiberglass.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6419.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	48187  
Old 09-19-2010, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlawauto
Its done but im not happy ! Got some strips in my pearl Not sure I can live with . For some reason I wanted silver pearl and should have used blue . I think it would have helped with my rookie tiger strips. And Then guess what happened 30 min after last coat of clear. RAIN and Heavy too. But when the rain stopped it was dark so not sure what damage was done. I do know it feels rough.
Can I scuff and recoat I used advantage clear and it does not say on tech sheet if it can be recoated like in 1 day or 2 ?

I put pearl in a car this spring lime green base and used green pearl and it turned out good.

All you pros DO NOT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT ME TAKING YOUR JOB !!!! But it has been fun for a hobby.

]
LOL. that one pic looks like it was speeding throgh NYC with all those papers...Whud ya do,loose control and run over a news paper stand? But thats alright ,you can have all those trucks you want ,I did my share of dump trucks and cement trucks to last me just fine ....your doing great just make sure you wear a mask so you dont get dizzy and fall off that scaffold .if you do fall land on something you dont use....I like landing on my head,everything else gets used everyday...

Last edited by deadbodyman; 09-19-2010 at 09:07 PM.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:20 PM

Last photo:

I got that. I normaly sit on mine
Old 09-20-2010, 11:57 AM

Last photo:

Sh@% need to re clear ! What should I use to scuff it off ? it has 4 coats total of clear . The rain left little craters
Old 09-20-2010, 03:39 PM

wet sand 600 grit and gray colored scuff pad around rivits,etc.then reclear(two coats)..I'm assuming you dont want to buff it..
Old 09-20-2010, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlawauto
I had to get a good chuckle out of the cigarette instead of a resperator, camel filters work better anyways

Paints comming along pretty good, has a unique pattern to it, cant wait to see the finished product.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:06 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
wet sand 600 grit and gray colored scuff pad around rivits,etc.then reclear(two coats)..I'm assuming you dont want to buff it..
Thanks Deadbodyman did the wet sand an scuff pad 2 coat clear and looks great now. Your right tring to get away with out buffing
Old 09-21-2010, 04:00 PM

dont forget pics...
Old 09-21-2010, 04:35 PM

Last photo:

Your not painting that outside in the sun are you? If you are, then that could be at least part of your problem if you have good gun setup and technique.

With the sun heating up the body panels, paints going to be drying before it even has a chance to hit the truck, and not have time to flow. Which could mean a dry rough finish, and no time to even pearl, or worst (such as solvent pop which would leave a ton of tiny little pinsize craters when the trapped solvent bubble pop.
And thats not exactly a small area to get around to stay wet and have overspray from other panels melt in in the first place. Not to mention any wind blowing up junk and messing with your pattern.

If forced to paint outside, I would at least try to wait till a calm day, and paint real early in the morning. Not really the easiest thing to paint out in the open and turn out a good job.

And even though outside you should have decent ventilation, you still would never catch me spraying without a respirator and fresh cartridges. I hate to think how much I may have damaged my health over the years not always being the smartest, or hanging out in a heavy fog filled garage. . Isos and solvents are nothing to play around with, you should read up on the dangers. Unfortunately they never told us how hazardous the chemicals in paint and primers are when I was learning the trade. That includes mixing, and they also enter you body not only through breathing, but also skin and eyes.

Last edited by kenseth17; 09-21-2010 at 04:45 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:55 AM

you dont know what pain is until you splash lacquer thinner or paint in your eyes
Old 09-22-2010, 10:31 AM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

Right up there with carb & choke clearner from a spray can?
Old 10-17-2010, 07:51 PM

Last photo:

IT'S DONE for now

Finally can't belive it will be on the road by the middle of the week. The trailer was a real chore but got r done. Big Thanks to all for the pointers on this site. Got a 49 dodge panel and a couple 49 trucks going to try those this next summer
Old 10-18-2010, 04:44 AM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

WELL,,,,,, Lets see it! (without the newspaper).

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.