Hot Rod Forum banner

Aluminum Cylinder Head Repair

5K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  maninacoupe 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,
I've been reading Hot Rodders for a few months, and have gained a lot of very useful info. Great site!
This is my 1st post.
While porting and polishing a pair of Edelbrock RPM Heads, I was almost finished except for "ccing" when I noticed a pinhole in an intake port next to the pushrod relief "*****"!!!
I searched locally for someone that could weld aluminum and only got one lead.
I took the head to a guy with a nice mig set-up. He was skeptical, because he couldn't get the wire feed gun into the port very far, but I asked him to try
anyway. He only managed to make the hole bigger, but I don't fault him for
trying.
I have a lot of time in working on the head and really want to save it if possible. I don't trust JB Weld enough to risk ruining my engine(Chevy 383 Stroker). I don't even know if I can buy a singe bare head from Edelbrock
so as to save the other head from going to waste.
I would be forever greateful to anyone that can give me a lead to a professional that can stick weld aluminum. I will smooth out the weld. I just need to be sure it won't come loose. Please help!

See less See more
#2 ·
Pictures would help...

But it should be heliarced to do a proper repair to alum... If not then a product called "Red Hand" or Bellazona would do the trick... I`ve seen it used in various apps in petrochemical plants and it holds up to temps and pressures that would amaze you...

#3 · (Edited)
It definitely need to be done with a tig (heliarc). I have repaired a lot of heads in the past. But you will have to re-due your port work on that port. You may not get to hog as much out. I will say it is pretty tricky till. Check your high performance engine building shop with an experienced welder. Make a trip to the drag strip or dirt track and ask around. It is a common thing to happen. Forget about the stick weld.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.