Aluminum Dash - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2004, 09:04 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Aluminum Dash

I am looking for an aluminum dash that I can customize for a 68 mustang. Jegs sells one, but it is only 5" tall. I would be looking for 8"-10" tall to cover the heater ducting.

Anyone have any ideas on manufacturers, or custom dash makers that could help me?

- Lee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2004, 10:57 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

If you can find someone that has a metal brake you can do it yourself. I did mine in my S-10. It is not as nice as some of the pros, but all I have in it is $40 worth of sheet aluminum. You can see it in my album. <--------click left.

Chris
Old 03-02-2004, 11:25 AM

Chris, I like that alot. Can you share more details.
Specs on the aluminum you used. Braces used?
How did you build, is it three pieces?

Any details you can share would be great.

- Lee
Old 03-02-2004, 12:36 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:

I used .040 thick sheet aluminum. The first piece I made was the top. It attatches at the windshield and has a lip turned down for the front and sides to attatch to. Next I did the front. I just broke it on the bottom and added a lip for strength. Then I trimmed the hole for the column and set it in place. Next was the side pieces. They are not identical, and are just made by lots of trimming and bending. Last was to make a .125 plate to mount the guages in since the .040 is real flimsy. It probably took me 8 hours to do it all.

Chris
Old 03-02-2004, 01:01 PM

Thank you for the details.

Just a couple more questions.
What did you use to cut the holes for the gauges?
What did you use to bend the dash pieces?

By break do you mean a hydraulic shear of some kind?

I am a computer not and not at a metal worker at all.

Thank you again!
Old 03-02-2004, 01:57 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Yep, a break( or brake, not sure on spelling) is a device used to make straight bends on sheet metal. Any metal shop will have one. I used a bimetal hole saw to cut the holes. I used tin snips to do the other trimming. Then just file the edges smooth for a nice clean look. I also clear coated the aluminum to keep it from turning dull. I used 400 grit sand paper to give a brushed look and then used clear enamel to coat the aluminum. It is over a year old and still looks great, but it is garage kept and never sees the sun.

Chris
Old 03-12-2004, 09:02 AM

Last photo:

if you are really hardcore you can do a s CAD drawing of what you want and have it water-jet or laser cut, most heat ducting companies can cut and bend it as you want. but it will be a biach to get the old dash out, and get a flat one to fit nicely...

why dont you either buy a haneline dash, or build a complete dash out of foam and fibreglass and have it apholstered, aluminum isnt really custom interior like, its more race inspired and regular driving will give you some bad glare and generally reduce the resale value of your car...

or perhaps its just me who would hate to see a vintage mustang butchered....
Old 03-15-2004, 08:07 AM

Deuce, thanks for the sympathy, but mine is a former, hack job that should have been layed to rest years ago. There was more rust and bad welding done on this car before I got it. I would have had to replace nearly every panel in the car.

So yes, it will be a 'race ready', looking pony on the inside. I have other stock restorations under my belt, this one will be different.

I will get the body looking good, then focus my resources on installing modern electronics, including computer, audio, gps, mp3, and electronic driver recognition system.

"New in the Old" from a technology stand point. So a metal dash would be ideal for adding new 'gadgets'.

Sometimes it is hard to admit, but all cars should not be show cars. Some should just look good and be fun....This is one.

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.