aluminum heads on an iron block - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2007, 06:52 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

aluminum heads on an iron block

Which head gaskets fit aluminum heads to an iron block on a small block chevy? Even with 12:1 compression.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2007, 07:02 PM
opinionated old fart

Last journal entry: Sheetmetal
Last photo:

FelPRo Performance head gaskets

Larry
Old 05-10-2007, 07:05 PM

any idea of how much they would cost or the numbers for the head gaskets
Old 05-10-2007, 07:10 PM
opinionated old fart

Last journal entry: Sheetmetal
Last photo:

75 bucks from summit part # FPP-1142
be sure to verify part number

Larry
Old 05-10-2007, 08:18 PM
World Class ASE tech

Last photo:

The gaskets that were recommended for my aluminum heads were the Felpro 1003

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...3&autoview=sku
Old 05-10-2007, 08:31 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

yes, cast iron/ aluminum head gaskets, use teflon on 1 side, get the wrong gaskets and you'll crack the head or at the very least, blow the gasket in a short while
Old 05-10-2007, 09:29 PM

I use FelPro 1010 on my iron block aluminum headed 383.

"yes, cast iron/ aluminum head gaskets, use teflon on 1 side, get the wrong gaskets and you'll crack the head or at the very least, blow the gasket in a short while"

Who makes these teflon gaskets?

Been running the FelPros for about 5 years without cracked heads or blown gaskets.
Old 05-11-2007, 06:49 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen242
I use FelPro 1010 on my iron block aluminum headed 383.

"yes, cast iron/ aluminum head gaskets, use teflon on 1 side, get the wrong gaskets and you'll crack the head or at the very least, blow the gasket in a short while"

Who makes these teflon gaskets?

Been running the FelPros for about 5 years without cracked heads or blown gaskets.
Fel Pro makes them, as do other company's. They are used in any engine that runs aluminum heads, on a cast block from the factory. I know they make them for 350's cause some 350's came from the factory with aluminum heads.

you may be fine running the gaskets you got now, the teflon gaskets were made a standard for this, because of longevity, people don't want there head gaskets blowing out on there daily drivers, every few years. I do belive it was Chevy with the aluminum headded 3.1, that first had problems with standard gaskets.
Old 05-11-2007, 08:32 AM
1.21 giga-watts???!!!!

Geez! Does anybody call up the toll free numbers to tech support departments anymore? Edelbrock, AFR, Dart, etc all have websites with their gasket recommendations as well as the gasket companies themselves! I have noticed this more and more on this site. Who better than the gasket manufacturers or the head manufacturers would know which of their products will work best in a given situation? People are just getting too darn lazy IMHO.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:34 AM

Last photo:

How dare you clog this wonderful forum with your idiotic questions shame on you lazy rascal. CRD took his precious time to post be sure to thank him for his great respectful answer!!!!
Old 05-11-2007, 12:39 PM
Bottle Fed

Last photo:

I ran a felpro 1010 on my aluminum headed 355 for years. Nitrous and all...
No issues. Its what the head manufacturer said to use.
Old 05-11-2007, 02:00 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismac
Which head gaskets fit aluminum heads to an iron block on a small block chevy? Even with 12:1 compression.
Basically what you can't run is an all metal shim gasket. These won't hold a long term seal between cast iron and aluminum.

You need a composition gasket that may have a stainless steel face on one side and Teflon on the other, or similar construction that isolates the iron from contact with the aluminum. Graphite coated materials are common to GM and others. Some may use a copper fire ring rather than steel. There are two or three problems that need to be worked by the gasket when aluminum is on one side and iron/steel on the other.

One is to stop an electrolytic path between the iron and aluminum. The presence of dissimilar metals with an electrolyte (of which water or water and antifreeze is one) causes a current to flow (i.e. a battery is made). The softer metal is transferred to the harder, which is to say, aluminum is eroded from your expensive heads and deposited all over the block's coolant passages. Running straight coolant is an idea whether ethylene or propylene glycol. Propylene seems more popular for what's called non-aqueous systems that most all production has gone to in recent years. This eliminates the aluminum corrosion problem but does require a slightly better radiator as this stuff is not as efficient at heat transfer as water. The factories have gone to this along with oil cooling and aluminum radiators. So one concept supports the other when both are used.

Second is isolating the different expansion and contraction rates of aluminum and iron. More modern composition gaskets feature Teflon or graphite on one side to allow the aluminum to move more than the iron without loosing the gasket seal. These are often advertised as not requiring head bolt re-torquing. Personally, I'm not that trusting so I continue to do a re-torque about a week after putting the engine in service, then I like to see it a month later, and yearly after that.

Third, gasket thickness and bore diameter has an influence on calculated compression ratio. So you need to look at available thicknesses when you do the arithmetic. For your application, for example, GM offers 10105117 at .028 inch thick or 12557236 at .053 inch thick this is the ZZ4 gasket, or 14076505 which is their graphite gasket that was used on the L-98 aluminum headed Corvette SBC. Also, if given a bore diameter choice try for as close to your bore size as possible. Large bore diameters reduce compression and retain exhaust gases in the dead space. However, at the same time you don't want any of the gasket hanging over the bore so don't put a 305 gasket on a 350.

Look in the catalogs and check that the gasket is for aluminum heads and cast iron blocks, be aware of those which say for a sleeved block and steer away from these. Some people in their blogs recommended non-aluminum compatible gaskets to you! So research this carefully. The major catalog stores have technical help lines don't be afraid to use them. Remember the only dumb question is the one that didn't get asked.

Bogie
Old 05-12-2007, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt167
Fel Pro makes them, as do other company's. They are used in any engine that runs aluminum heads, on a cast block from the factory. I know they make them for 350's cause some 350's came from the factory with aluminum heads.

you may be fine running the gaskets you got now, the teflon gaskets were made a standard for this, because of longevity, people don't want there head gaskets blowing out on there daily drivers, every few years. I do belive it was Chevy with the aluminum headded 3.1, that first had problems with standard gaskets.
Do you have a part number for the FelPro teflon coated gaskets? I can not seem to locate them on FelPro's web site. This is for a SBC.

Wonder why my head manufacturer, Trick Flow, would recommend the FelPro 1010 if there are better gaskets out there?

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.