aluminum heads for sbc - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2006, 08:40 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

aluminum heads for sbc

I am getting started ordering parts for either a 350 or 400 based small block chevy. I am leaning towards the 350 block as I believe it will be more durable and also easier to replace if something does happen.
the crank and rods will be a lightweight 4340 crank and lightwieght I-beam 4340 rods with srs forged pistons at a compression for pump gas. the car will be mostly a driver but want to be able to put down some good numbers when at the track.
the vehicle will be a late 80;s elco, with an auto tranny with around a 2800 stall and prolly 370 gears.
I know that I am going overboard on the bottom end for a street motor but want the reliability, my questions to start are what would be the best set of heads at less than 1500 a set complete and also any ideas on a cam with them. will prolly want to go with a roller and prolly hyd too.
any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2006, 09:20 PM
http://teamrfc.gospelcom.net

Last photo:

Without a doubt go with a set of AFR cnc ported heads. As for the size of the heads and cam, they will depend on how many cubic inches your motor is going to be. Are you looking at a 350, a 383 or a 400?

Adam
Old 08-02-2006, 06:23 AM

most likely will be 383 but also considering a 3.875 crank for 396 cubes.
as far as afr goes the 210 or 195cc. have looked at the dart pro 1 also but doesnt seem to flow nearly as well as the afr, anyone with experience with both of them and can compare
Old 08-02-2006, 08:41 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: PICTURE TEST
Last photo:

heads

Welcome to the site... I see that you are a new poster.... This subject has just been discussed..do a search...

Don't get caught up in flow numbers..

The dart pro-1's would be my first choice....

Keith
Old 08-02-2006, 11:17 AM

Last photo:

The pro 1's are really nice heads, and I agree that flow numbers can be missleading, but ignoring the flow numbers, the AFR heads come fully ported for $1450. That is why I so highly recommend them for the price range you are looking at. If you compare a fully ported head to an as cast head, it should not be much of a comparason. I have never had the dart heads, but I have had AFR's and they performed as I expected them to. I had a 383 with the street 210cc heads and a 236 242 @. 050 .520 intake lift hyd roller cam along with a victor jr intake and ~10.5:1. That motor ran 7.85 in the 1/8th at 3600 lb , with me in it, (around 12.3 in the 1/4). Based on those numbers I assume I was around 500 hp at the motor. The car has a ford 9 inch and a turbo 400 with a 4000 stall along with all accessories includung a/c so I assumed it was l was loosing 22-24% to the rear wheels. which would put me at ~385 at the rear wheels which matches up pretty well with the time it ran.

Adam

Last edited by firestone; 08-02-2006 at 11:37 AM.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:43 AM
floppers forever

build the motor so the parts match one another.if you put heads on that flow like crazy and your combustion volume is to small or the r.p.m's are not high enough or the cam don't have enough duration.you will loss power rather then make power.
take a good look at the heads cuz aftermarket heads are cnc ported and often have a small step in the runners and are not smoothed out by hand witch makes me mad for the money they charge,a ported head should have smooth transitions.
Old 08-02-2006, 06:42 PM

some more questions.
If I go with a 200cc head to try and keep the torque good at the bottom for the motor for now and then decide I want to rev higher would I be killing myself there. what do you feel is the happy medium for a street running car.

and what do you people think between the brodix, dart and afr heads as far as quality, and power.

I live about 1.5 hours from the brodix foundry, although they dont seem to want to make any breaks on price for us locals... retail price straight from the manufacturer, I think I would rather pay for the middle man in that case. but am looking closer at the dart pro1's or the afr's

someone mentioned some stunts from afr and I would like to know what they were, anyone care to pm me what was up

and thanks again for the help, as I would hate to spend money only to have to spend it again
Old 08-02-2006, 10:12 PM

Last photo:

If you went with the 383, the AFR 195's should be a pretty happy medium as far as wanting to run a bigger cam in the future and really taking advantage of them. If you went wtih the 396, the 210's may be a good idea. Below is what you can expect out of a 383 with a cam that takes advantage of them. In this article, they use a solid flat tappet, so you would probably get another 15-20 hp out of a solid roller of the same size. It made 540 hp @ 6600 RPM and ~520 ft lbs. A solid roller would probably put it at 550+ hp.

http://airflowresearch.com/articles/article085/A-P1.htm

Adam
Old 08-03-2006, 01:32 AM

We have used both AFR and Dart Pro1's. Both deliever good power and torque. I would have to agree with Keith (K-Star) on a street engine, i would lean toward the Pro1's. Theres alot to be said for wetflow which is how these heads are developed. The CNC'd AFR's are gonna make more power on the track, but if you spend 90% of you time on the street, build a street motor so you can be happy 90% of the time. I've gone that route, killer motor on the track, but in the parking lot or between the stoplights, it didn't impress many people including myself.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.