Aluminum Pwr steering pulley alignment - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2009, 05:50 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Aluminum Pwr steering pulley alignment

Hello everyone,
I bought a March aluminum power steering pump pulley before I found out that its a press fit on a sbc and I can't return it. Since it was rather expensive to me, I'm gonna try to use it. I have a few issues that I would like to hear your opinions about.
1. I'm concerned that an aluminum pulley will relax or loosen over time and I want to positively secure it. I'm thinking of putting a bolt with locktite and custom washer/spacer in the pump shaft that will bottom out in the pump about the same time that the washer contacts the pulley, not to put pressure on the pulley, but to prevent it from moving forward off the pump, but what would prevent it from moving rearward towards the pump? That or after the pulley is pressed on, drilling a hole thru one side of the pulley hub and halfway thru the pump shaft the correct size for tapping and installing say a #10 set screw that would bottom out inside the pump shaft. Would that create a bad imbalance or weaken the pulley hub dramatically?
2. I bought a cheap press on pulley installer, and a March pwr steering pump bracket. With the engine block on the stand for mock-up test fitting, I bolted on the water pump and the steering bracket and new steering pump. Its a single groove pulley. I was going to drive the pump with a dedicated belt from the crank pulley. Without the crank and its pulley installed, how far am I supposed to press on the steering pump pulley? Is it supposed to be flush with the front of the pump shaft, or certain specification of depth, or am I just driving blind until I get the crank installed?
I'd appreciate any input!
ssmonty
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EngBay2 (Small).JPG
Views:	59
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	38221   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01929 (Small).JPG
Views:	63
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	38222   Click image for larger version

Name:	install both brackets b4 pulley (Small).JPG
Views:	57
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	38223  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2009, 08:02 PM
http://www.warsprints.com

Last journal entry: W.A.R. (Wingless Auto Racing) Sprint Car Racing
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Clean and degrease the pulley and shaft well and use RED loctite on the pulley when you press it on. I guarantee it won't come off. You will need to heat it up to get it back off after the loctite has setup if you ever have to remove it. I have a March pulley on a Sweet pump and it pressed on flush with the pump shaft but you need to line everything up first to see how far you should press it on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.