Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Aluminum radiator problem
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2012, 11:06 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46highboypu View Post
Some months ago I had my radiator out to have a pro shop fix a leak, they were unable to seal the leak in the normal way so they used epoxy. It didn't hold and now the leak is back. The problem as I understand it is that the leak is up at the top of the core at the bottom of the tank. This may be a bit drastic but I'm wondering if it would be possible to cut the tank at the bottom weld and remove all or a piece of it to get access to the top of the core. Is the core for these soldered or welded? I have access to a metal band saw and a friend who can weld aluminum. I would add that a stop leak for aluminum only worked through the summer. So, is this the way to go? It's cheaper than a new replacement.
I have repaired an aluminum radiator using those "bond a coke can to another coke can" solder-type rods. You know the ones- usually sold at swap meets and flea markets by a hungover-looking dude who looks like he'd rather be anywhere but there? That stuff. Believe it or not, it DOES work. In my case, I dimpled the pinhole down w/a sharpened then blunted wooden dowel (so as to dent the area down, but not open the hole up any more than it was), then built the area back up using the solder stick. Still holding pressure in my P-U, been about 10 years now.