Hot Rod Forum banner

aluminum rods

3K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  jgh64pkup 
#1 ·
i have a set of childs albert aluminum rods(small journal) that i would like to put in a 283 but i don't know if they will take the rpms

#4 ·
jgh64pkup said:
i was hoping for 7400 to 7800
Assuming they're in good condition there's no reason why you can't turn those kind of revs.

The big enemy of aluminum rods is fatigue fracture which is the result of work hardening that comes from the constant changes in loading from compression to tension and back again as the engine passes thru its cycles. This alternately stretches then compresses the rod which is something that aluminum has problems with when it's encountered over a long period of time.

For this reason in a race engine the rods are frequently inspected for stretch and cracking. In street engines and long distance racing engines it is often felt that aluminum rods don't offer sufficient longevity. But there are plenty of exceptions to the popular wisdom.

Aluminum rods are nice with blower and nitrous engines as well as those running rocket fuels like nitro-methane and will offer some protection to the rod bearings on engines that run in detonation as the aluminum will give a bit softening the blows on the crank journals.

Be sure to re-balance and add about .010 to .015 inch clearance between the piston crown and the head's squish/quench deck as aluminum rods will thermally grow more than steel rods so without a little additional clearance there is the risk of running the piston into the head.

Bogie

#10 ·
A 4" bore is a necessity to fit anything larger than 1.94/1.50 valves. Soo, if you want it to breathe and make some power you need to have at least 3.975" of bore for 2.02/1.60 valves, and actually use them.

If you can get the 302 pistons for a reasonable price, and the block checks out for a 0.125" over, go for it.

Larry

#11 ·
"The cooling issues are a myth perpetuated by people with an inadequate understanding of how to put together a properly functioning cooling system."

Eloquent. I have a deep appreciation for a well-structured sentence.

jgh, have the cylinder walls beeped. If they will be minimum 0.135" after boring and honing, go for it.

#14 ·
and it has small journal mickey thompson aluminum rods he also said he'll throw in the crank
he said since they were in his shop collecting dust he would sell them to me for 100 bucks
I also have some powerpack heads i would like to ream and put bigger valves in would 2.05/1.60 be too much for the 302
Ayuh,...

Are you even Reading the responces offered to you here,..??

What is the History of those Aluminm Rods,..??..??
If they're Used,... They're Junk,.. Wall hangers,.. NFGood.....

A 4" bore is a necessity to fit anything larger than 1.94/1.50 valves. Soo, if you want it to breathe and make some power you need to have at least 3.975" of bore for 2.02/1.60 valves, and actually use them.
That's the Answer to your 2.05" Valve Question.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.