Am I doing this right?? HVLP pressure - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2005, 01:49 PM
Just a firefighter

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod
Last journal entry: New rear rollpan installed
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Am I doing this right?? HVLP pressure

I just got a FL3 HVLP gun and have used it a couple of times for primer but I'm not sure if I'm using it right. The directions say to set the gun at 23psi inlet pressure. When I set it I have the gun flowing(air only) and the static pressure is about 105psi. When I've been shooting primer it goes on very nice but I notice that I still have allot of over spray in the air and allot of over spray dust on the floor when I'm done. If I set the gun at 23psi static when I flow air the pressure drops to zero, I haven't tried to spray with the setting like that. Which way is correct or do I just need to lower/play the pressure a little more.

Thanks
David

If it makes any difference I've got it hooked to a 7hp, 60gal compressor with 13.5 cfm at 40 psi.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2005, 06:19 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Have you set the pressure at 23 psi before you press on the gun? If you do so the pressure will drop when you shoot. You need to set it at 23psi "when" you shoot the paint. That thing happened to me the first time I sprayed paint and I didn't know what was going on. I hope it helps you.
Old 08-09-2005, 06:31 PM
GM Muscle

Last photo:

That 23psi is supposed to be at the gun when you have air flowing. To do this you need a air guage at the gun. IF you set your regulator at the compressor at about 25psi you will be close. Air line has a certain amount of drop depending on length.

If you have your compressor regulator set at 105 then you need some type of device at the gun to regulate.

Rich
Old 08-09-2005, 07:18 PM

Last photo:

The regulator at the gun needs to be a true diaphragm type and not one of those cheapie flow restrictors that do nothing more than choke the flow down. The choke-down type have a gauge and are called regulators but they will let the pressure vary with air line pressure while the real regulators will maintain a constant PSI setting regardless of line fluctuations.
Old 08-09-2005, 07:23 PM

To keep within the governmental regulations for an HVLP gun, you need to have 23 psi at the inlet pressure to get 10 psi at the cap. But, if you have a little more pressure, you won't be as efficient or within the govt. regs for HVLP, but you will get better atomization. Your best bet is a diaphram regulator at the gun, not a "cheater valve". Set your regulator where ever you like & set the gun regulator at 23+ psi with the trigger pulled. You only need to pull the trigger to "air". It is not necessary to spray paint to set pressure.
Old 08-09-2005, 07:32 PM
GM Muscle

Last photo:

I am to the point I am removing the regulator from the gun just so I dont have the bulk. I have a T now with a 0-50 guage that I can insert and use to set my wall regulator. Once set, I remove the guage.

So far, I think its the best thing going. Needle valves and diapram regulators are restrictive which is not good with HVLP.

All you care about is knowing what your psi is at the gun when you are spraying. It should not change assuming your compressor keeps up, once its set.

No more regulator at the gun for me

Rich
Old 08-09-2005, 09:06 PM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last journal entry: Strangest job I've ever done
Last photo:

That gun comes with the regulator for it. The gun is designed to be used with a hobbiest typical compressor,generally a 33 gal. variety.
Adjust the reg. with the trigger pulled fully IN and your set. I have run mine higher,up to 30 psi with good results.
Spraying primer is a mess anyway as it's more product being put out than when painting and the residual is more noticable as well.
Any gun be it conv. or HVLP will make a cloud when using primer using the larger tip so don't sweat it too much.

I agree on the gun reg's being a problem IF it's NOT designed for that perticular gun.
I used a D'Villbliss reg on my Iwata and it just could not get the psi up unless the wall reg was CRANKED. I opened it up and after SEEING the TINY opening was convinced about not all diaphram reg's are equal.
I got a different reg today and all's well with it now.
My hose reg is outside the booth and is a major pain to readjust if it's not right,so for now,I'll stick with the gun reg. but as Rich said mine are on the way OUT.

Last edited by Bee4Me; 08-09-2005 at 09:13 PM.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.