Am i dumb - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2005, 07:37 PM

Last journal entry: My 1962 Falcon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Am i dumb

I have a little boy who lives next door to me, he came over today and ask me if i could paint his mini bike gas tank. Well i gave in and we painted it with spray can black lacquer. I wet sanded it good and gave it 3 coats waiting 10 min between coats. It is dull as can be. I want this little guy to feel proud of his bike, so should i wet sand again with say 1500 and then coat it again or what. I dont want to hook up my good guns to paint this thing, but would like it to have a nice shine. I do have a spray can of lacquer high gloss clear in the shop so should i shoot a top coat of that on. Come on guys help me make a little kid grin about his shiny mini bike. Im not a spray can painter. Remember this is how we get these little boys to grow as men and and build real hotrods right.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2005, 07:45 PM

Last photo:

the mentor....

i'd buy a can of black epoxy...tough as nails and hard as a rock...it'll hold up to more abuse than the spray lacquer

esty
Old 11-11-2005, 07:52 PM
Last photo:

No epoxy ever came out of a rattle can, it's just impossible. Epoxy cures by chemical reaction of two materials being mixed together. This is not possible inside of a rattle can. Epoxy in a rattle can is just a sales gimmick, nothing more.

Vince
Old 11-11-2005, 08:09 PM

Last photo:

I haven't used a lot of lacquer, but as far as I know it needs to be buffed to have a nice gloss. It is also rather thin, I imagine even more so coming out of a spray bomb. Put on a lot of coats and maybe lightly wetsand if needed and run a buffer over it. It sounds like you have solid black, which would be okay to buff. If it were a metallic color, then you would need to apply the clearcoat to buff. Lacquer is not a great choice for a gas tank though, no chemical resistance, hope he is carefull filling it up with gas.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:14 PM

Last photo:

Mrwood, I can't remember the brand but one of the guys at the shop painted his welding hood with rattle can paint from Wa-Mart. This stuff is sold as a three can system for a Chameleon effect but I think the cans are available separately and the clear has a really good gloss to it as sprayed.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:20 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302/Z28
No epoxy ever came out of a rattle can, it's just impossible. Epoxy cures by chemical reaction of two materials being mixed together. This is not possible inside of a rattle can. Epoxy in a rattle can is just a sales gimmick, nothing more.

Vince
Absolutely correct.

I bought a couple of cans of this stuff for a metal table and you could scrape it off with a finger nail after a day, week, year. Pure crap.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:21 PM

Last photo:

You could teach him the beauty of hand rubbed laquer. Wetsand it,Get some compound and tell him to start rubbing, that way he can say he helped.How hard is it to spray a couple of coats of good urethane clear over it? Thats would i would do. The laquer wont hold up well when the little fella spills gas on it or dumps it.Go urethane and watch his eyes bug out at the shine. BTW hats off to ya for helping the kid out.
Old 11-11-2005, 09:06 PM

Last journal entry: My 1962 Falcon
Last photo:

Am i dumb

Good idea on letting him rub it out. He brought me the paint, and it is on thick, just cant get a shine. Like i said i do have some clear i could put on it, but i think ill wet sand it and let him rub it out. Should i just use 1500 paper on this or go higher. Its made out of 16 ga so its a good heavy tank. Maybe he will be so proud of it he will be carefull putting in the gas.
Old 11-12-2005, 04:54 AM

Last photo:

shoddy's right!...teach him how to make it pretty......so he can say he did it...all you did was spray the paint
simple to do with lacquer cause if he messes up, just sand it with 600 and top coat again
3-4 heavy coats of lacquer then:

Walmart trip:
"elcheapo" .$94 can of FLAT white spray paint to use as a guide coat (just barely enough so you can see it on the black) when sanding out the orange peel
$3 pack of 1000 grit paper, to LIGHTLY wet sand off most of the guide coat (75%?)
$1.88 can of white Turtle Wax "clear coat" rubbing compound (cuts slow)
some cleaner wax for final shine (good enough?)

the dull finish was most likely high humidity when you sprayed, or your 3rd coat wasn't heavy enough

helpin' kids is great therapy for YOUR mind, their imagination will blow you away
Old 11-12-2005, 05:15 AM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

My hat's off to you. Many guys would have said "Get out of here kid. I don't have time for that crap". You never know with kids. That helping out may keep him interested in other stuff and out of drugs and other trouble. As adults, we have to do all we can to help keep them out of that path.

As for the lacquer, I sprayed alot of that stuff years ago. It does require sanding and buffing. It also NEEDS wax on it after you are done to protect it, as moisture can actually soak in. Although it is not very chemical friendly, it usually holds up to gas fairly well. Let him help buff it. It will make him proud.

Thanks for helping a young one out.

Aaron
Old 11-12-2005, 06:23 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302/Z28

Vince
you may be correct....

but it's some tuff stuff...i've used it many times and it's extremely difficult to chip

esty
Old 11-12-2005, 08:45 AM

Last photo:

Thats the problem when those kids see you out working. I was doing bodywork on my old cavalier when a neighbor kid came over and ask If I would weld up some forks to turn his bike into a chopper. The neighbors are older and told them to quit bugging me, but it only took a little of my time to do so I didn't mind. He later rattlecaned his bike flat black and had his chopper. Come to think of it, we did the same thing to our neighbor who built 30's-40's hot rods when we were kids. Bringing over little welding projects on the go kart, ect, and a good excuse to take a peak at what was being built. Glad you are helping the young one out. Have him rub it out and learn, I sure it will look better after a little spit and polish. As far as the epoxy, that probably wouldn't be a good idea for a topcoat. Epoxy is normally for an undercoat in that it seals and is tough, but usually isn't meant for a glossy mirror like finish.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.