Am I out of luck with these traction bars? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2014, 06:53 PM
More machine than man

Last journal entry: bwaahhaahahaaahhaa
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Am I out of luck with these traction bars?

A buddy gave me these old Lakewoods for free. I am guessing they are for a car where the axle goes on top of the leaf springs. I have a Chevy truck with a 12 bolt and the axle goes under the springs. I see no part numbers, just a basic sticker that has survived over the years, so I can't tell exactly what I have. Anybody confirm?

Here are the universal truck ones...the perches have a much deeper relief to clear the axle.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2014, 09:17 PM
More for Less Racer

Yep, your out of luck because of the axle over the spring situation that you have.

Both sets you've pictured are the typical low cost, lightweight, cheezy, not long enough to reach the spring eye "poseur" traction bars sold by Lakewood. They are not very effective due to light weight materials used to construct them, how they bolt on, and the fact they are too short to reach clear to the front spring eye.

Using them as a frame of reference only, you could fab up something just like that out of thicker materials and stronger u-bolts and possibly end up with a decent piece.

I would say no less than 5/16" thick plate for the brackets, no less than 2" x 2" x .125" wall tube, with 2.5" x 2.5" being better (and looking more proportional) with 7/16" minimum bolt size(U-bolt, or straight bolts and 3/8" plate strap over the top of the spring). I would gusset the ends of the brackets just outboard of where the u-bolt attaches to the bar, to prevent bending the bracket and having them get loose.

It is vitally important that the rubber snubber contacts the spring directly under the front spring eye bolt, if they hit back on the open main leaf portion all they do is bend the spring and contribute to making wheel hop worse.

Here is an example of totally poor installation, DO NOT DO AS DONE HERE : Traction Bars

Here is a pic of a decent home-made set, ideal snubber location, good thick tube, good bolt size, strap is just a bit thin IMO but the right idea : http://www.f150online.com/galleries/...738-102156.jpg

Good slapper bar example, but have to have springs under the axle for this style to fit : http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...a/IMG_0617.jpg

Because of your spring over axle placement , you are pretty much going to have to make your own to get anything that will really work.
The Following User Says Thank You to ericnova72 For This Useful Post:
Silver Surfer (07-24-2014)
Old 07-24-2014, 10:28 PM
More machine than man

Last journal entry: bwaahhaahahaaahhaa
Last photo:

Thank you! I wish I could like this post more than once!
Old 07-27-2014, 04:18 PM
http://www.warsprints.com

Last journal entry: W.A.R. (Wingless Auto Racing) Sprint Car Racing
Last photo:

I built a pair for my son's 03 Duramax. He say's they work great and can tell a huge difference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Traction Bars.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	168.3 KB
ID:	163914  
Old 07-28-2014, 12:52 AM
Cars, Trucks, Boats

Last photo:

. Can prolly use the Lakewoods with long bolts with spacer tubes over the bolts... 4 additional plates to go under the springs (in addition to the ones over the springs) and extend the lengths of the bars to get the snubbers where Eric says...

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.