Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Am I restricting too much air flow?
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2012, 11:25 AM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noob81
I have a 5hp 80 gallon compressor in my basement, but my garage is 30 feet from the house. I have 35 feet of 3/4" pipe running around the basement to cool the air, and an outlet on the side of my house that I plug a rubber 1/4" air line into. The rubber line goes out to the garage and connects to 30 feet of 1/2" pipe in the garage. I cant run metal lines out to the garage due to a massive concrete patio on my back porch. Is the 1/4" air line going from the house to the garage restricting my air flow? Can I pull 15 cfm through that line?
From my experience, that 1/4" line is too small for even short runs. Replace even the hose to your air tools with 3/8" and you will be amazed how much better they run. I say go to a minimum of 3/8" line. Using the pi R squared formula, you will see that 3/8" will handle twice the volume of 1/4" . For that run, you may want to get some 1/2" air line. Not sure where to get it from in your area, but I know it is available. Maybe check with a heavy equipment dealership to find out where they get theirs. 1/2" air line is used to power all heavy air tools, such as 1" impacts. Possibly your local NAPA auto parts store will be able to help you out.

Big Al

Last edited by adantessr; 02-09-2012 at 11:34 AM.