ambititous project? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2005, 08:15 PM
GM Muscle

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by advanced design
The International MetalMeet will be held this year in Oblong, IL .
Oblong? I had a oblong trunk lid once.

Sorry, couldnt resist.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2005, 08:16 PM

Last photo:

Hmm, in a neighboring state for me. As long as I stay away from those bear fans, could be very interesting to attend.
Old 08-03-2005, 09:00 PM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
I don't like to discourage anyone from raising the bar, but I do like to be realistic.
Agreed. And I did not mean to take anything away from the good points you made in your prior posts. I just wanted to round out the discussion with some of the more positive notes.
Old 08-04-2005, 07:18 AM

Last photo:

C-boy, you're proof this job can be tackled and with a positive attitude and good skills can be completed, everyone here thanks you for sharing the journey through your photos. I've had a similar project lurking in the back of my head since studying your journal but as of now just lack the time needed to take on such a project, but someday... How well does that roadster drive with the truck suspension? Bob
Old 08-04-2005, 09:03 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddbob
How well does that roadster drive with the truck suspension?
Hey Bob,

It's too early to offer up a definitive answer on the handling question. I'm still sorting out all the mechanical issues with the car and only taking rather short test drives on the back roads around here. The car hasn't been over 35 mph yet so no real highway speed testing in the books at this point. I'm pretty optimistic, however. I have a nearly identical F-150 front suspension in my '32 pickup (14K miles) and I'm very happy with the ride and handling in that application. I also incorporated some additional "adjustment" options during the roadster build so now I can fairly easily adjust both the camber and caster - which isn't really possible with a stock Twin I-Beam. I DID have a problem early on with the the spring rate for the coil-overs, but Speedway let me swap out the springs for free and I think I'm on the right track now.

Also, thanks for the very kind words regarding the roadster project. I truly do hope the journal will inspire others, like you, who have the itch to fabricate their own frames and bodies. I think the motto ought to be, "Hey, if Cboy can do it...ANYBODY can do it."

Dewey
Old 08-04-2005, 11:17 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,078 Times in 961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cboy
Agreed. And I did not mean to take anything away from the good points you made in your prior posts. I just wanted to round out the discussion with some of the more positive notes.
Dewey, I didn't have time to go to the link of your project earlier, HOLY MOLY, that is WILD to say the least. If there is anyone who has something to say about this subject it is you! Rock on guy, awesome journal of your acomplishments!

Brian
Old 08-04-2005, 01:45 PM
or Jeff, or Doc, or...

Last journal entry: Results of the Camaro
Last photo:

Sha-
Wow, where to start? OK. Dewey is a "one in a thousand" type guy. Lots of experience, time, etc. He did an exceptional job. Could you do it? Well, the only person to answer that is you. Really, just about anyone with the DRIVE to do it, could. Not demeaning his efforts, actually applauding his drive! Although he isn't chasing sexy college girls....he already caught his, years ago!

Ewheels are not cheap. Around $2500 for a GOOD one. Anything less is wasted money. They are too springy to be effective. You will drop 6-800 for a set of wheels,if you decide to build your own. They are NOT easy to make.
Especially when the frame is all twisted out of shape from welding.

To "master" an ewheel, is really not that tough. Reading flexible patterns isn't hard either. Pounding metal into shape is. Your arms will be tired after the first panel. LOL.

Take a run to Metalmeet.com , see when /where the next regional meet is. Take a wander over, and get the experience of a lifetime. These guys are a no nonsense bunch of craftsman. Each is striving to learn and propagate the craft. Perhaps grabbing a few metalshaping books like Covells would help you. They explain "bucks" and how to use them. They are invaluable.

Just remember....Sheetmetal isn't cheap, nor is buck materials, or any part of a car. Sometimes its better to spend 6 grand and get 90% of the car, than to spend 1200 on materials, then have to buy 5800 worth of parts to complete it. Depending on your tastes, the costs can be astronomical.

You have to START YOUR PROJECT with a budget first, then a plan to fit your budget. Then see if it fits your tastes. DO NOT figure cheap!!! There will be cost over runs GUARANTEED!! I'm willing to be $100 on it ! Minimum of 15% over! Little brackets you missed, or better parts, UPS or handling charges add up quick.

This isnt to discourage you. As a matter of fact, if you are near Syracuse NY, you can come use my wheel!

(oops, I see your in NC! But you can still come up and use it!)
Old 08-04-2005, 04:18 PM

Last photo:

Yeah he is in the right part of the country to build some of those nextel cup cars.
Old 08-06-2005, 02:00 PM

Last photo:

What would be the best days to go to the metal meet if i couldn't make it all? I was thinking i could go the friday sat and sunday before it ends

Thanks guys for all the insight, first i gotta make a english wheel and a metal brake, then i'll start shaping
Old 08-07-2005, 05:05 PM
Just havin' fun.....

Last journal entry: Wheels and tires
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sha_ba_do_bang
What would be the best days to go to the metal meet if i couldn't make it all? I was thinking i could go the friday sat and sunday before it ends

Thanks guys for all the insight, first i gotta make a english wheel and a metal brake, then i'll start shaping
Friday, Saturday and Sunday would be fine. Probably a little busier than earlier in the week but still a great learning opportunity.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.