Hot Rod Forum banner

amc 304 won't stay running

3K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  T-bucket23 
#1 ·
Here's what I did,I installed an hei dist on a 74 cj5 304 it will run as long as the starter is running ??? I'm totally lost on this one.

#2 ·
redneckhotrods said:
Here's what I did,I installed an hei dist on a 74 cj5 304 it will run as long as the starter is running ??? I'm totally lost on this one.
Possibly a bad (or missing) ballast resistor.

While the HEI doesn't require a ballast, if the wiring hasn't been revamped for the HEI- the ballast could be at the root of your problem

Let us know what has been done, AFA wiring the HEI.

#10 · (Edited)
redneckhotrods said:
Yep,it's well grounded and the switch and relay worked fine on the old dist.
cobalt327 said:
Then I suspect that you've got the relay wired to a source that's not hot w/the key in "run".
+1

or,

I'm not sure about your exact system, but your old coil wire probably has a resistor wire in it to knock the voltage down to around 9v. You can't run the HEI from there it needs 12 volts. Do you have that big ignition module mounted on the fender? The thick wire powering that is a good place to pull power from.

I don't know if your system is the same as this, but maybe it will help.

Attachments

#13 ·
redneckhotrods said:
Well Cobalt you were right as usual,I tried wiring it direct again this time from the hot side of the starter solenoid to the distributor and it lit right up.
Thanks again.
Matt
If it didnt work wired direct from the battery but works from the hot starter stud either you still have an issue or you had a bad connection on your battery connection. The hot side of the solenoid is just the other end of the battery cable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.