AMC Gremlin, 360 misses high RPM - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2012, 11:46 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

AMC Gremlin, 360 misses high RPM

Ok so I have general experience working on my rigs but their are some things I just don't know how to trouble shoot.

I have got my hands on a 73 Gremlin X that has a 360 thrown in under the hood. Has Msd ignition and distributor, carter afb carb, headers and intake. Never torn the engine apart and didn't built it so I'm just going to assume its stock internals.

The car sat for around 5 to 10 years before I got to reviving it, cleaned carb, figured out electrical issues ect.

Right now the engine runs pretty good except it won't rev up very high, the RPM guage quit working so I'm am guessing it won't rev up above 4 grand, starts to miss and loses power.

I'm on a budget and haven't even had the chance to replace spark plugs, or even look at them to be honest.
Sometimes my inline fuel filter is empty, and other times its full.

Ok questions: Is this likely causes by bad plugs?

Am I starveing for fuel when I get on it?

I don't have the book, and don't know too much about fine tuning timing, any one have a general guideline for how many degrees of timing this engine runs well at?

The engine does not smoke, but could valve lash be a problem?

I have adjusted my rev limiter all the way up with no change in top end preformance.
I have tweaked and adjusted timing and have got some improvments, but not what it should be. Could I possible have the wrong springs in the distributor?

Im going to pull a plug and check my gap, and should borrow a timing light to check that. Had to add a washer for the distributor hold down, wasn't getting tight and would move I discovered one day.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2012, 11:59 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

The MSD distributor gear is a known issue. it may have wiped the cam gear to the point it's going out of time
Old 04-23-2012, 12:02 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

A car that has sat that long without being run can have a ton of varnish in the gas tank and fuel lines.My Ford had sat about 5 years and I had the tank boiled out and while it was out I sprayed the fuel line full of Berryman Chem-Tool and closed off the ends and let it soak 48 hours then I blew it out with the air compressor the nasty crap almost filled a small coffee can,I figured if it was that bad I just went and replaced the whole line.Also unleaded gas leaves a chalky deposit and when it evaporates you may have seen discussions about that here on other threads.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.