Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Hotrodders' Lounge (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hotrodders-lounge/)
-   -   AMC a Mopar? Stop the nonsense! (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/amc-mopar-stop-nonsense-22109.html)

SpiritRT 08-28-2003 06:15 PM

AMC a Mopar? Stop the nonsense!

I've seen many references to AMC cars as Mopars on sites such as Ebay, for example. It's ludicrous to see things like "Hot Javelin - Mopar Muscle". Mopar and Javelin should even be in the same sentence.....
After Chrysler bought the remains of AMC - it never put out AMC cars....but it did continue the Jeep line. This was in 1987, which isn't THAT long ago. So why do so many people refer to AMCs as Mopars are they BRAIN DEAD..are they "gear heads with grease on the brain?" Come on guys.
Are Mercedes cars Mopars too? I hope NOT. Soon we will see ads like this on ebay: "Hot Mopar - 450SL.
There is only one Mopar! A very separate AMC. And both made great but separate cars. :nono:

Stop the nonsense!

302 Z28 08-28-2003 06:22 PM

I would agree with everything you said, except the last statement. AMC is responsible for the Gremlin and Pacer.

Vince

troy-curt 08-28-2003 07:30 PM

If you are trying to start a discussion, you are in the wrong place,
You should have posted in the lounge or the dump. I don`t think you will get any argument on what you posted.:nono:

66 Rambler 09-18-2008 12:58 PM

also

Quote:

Originally Posted by 302 Z28
I would agree with everything you said, except the last statement. AMC is responsible for the Gremlin and Pacer.

Vince

I do believe they were also responsible for "eagle" those crazy 4wd cars, and the talon witch i think was the last one but it was just Mitsubishi eclipse in disguise if im not mistaken.

witch kinda makes me think ive seen several Dodges made by Mitsubishi, so is it posible that people are getting the impression that Dodge, Mitsubishi, and AMC are related?
i guess they can also think that since Chrysler, Jeep and Dodge are basically the same company now, they just assume its was the same all along.

matt167 09-18-2008 03:00 PM

there is a lot of confusion with AMC and mopar.. yes they are 2 seperate companys, in no way related, but they are allowed at some Mopar events, which is where some of that comes from, I think.. beyond using Mopar Torqueflite transmissions 1972- when they stopped making RWD cars there is nothing relating the 2 except when Mopar bought AMC for the Jeep line... but Jeep, bought by AMC in 1970 used Chevy T-400 transmissions 1974 until 1979, but we don't assocaite Jeeps as Chevys..

AMC did make the Eagle, made in 2dr, 4dr, sedans, wagons and a hatchback SX/4 model from 1980 ( I think )-1987.. but they were in no way responsible for The Eagle brand that mopar had... they were associated with Renault tho

Bee4Me 09-18-2008 07:28 PM

Just be glad you don't own an International.
God only knows where they "belong".
Just imagin an AMC car show..........
Lucky to have a "Runner up" for the trophy. :drunk:
I dig AMC's so don't get me wrong,but they deffinetly had their own gig.
I don't consider them Mopars as well as M's but if they want to show up and compete,let the best car win. Anybody who puts the time and effort into a great car deserves the spot. :thumbup:

345 desoto 09-18-2008 07:44 PM

Well if AMC's are Mopars, then I suppose you could say Maserati's are, too... :rolleyes:

poncho62 09-18-2008 07:48 PM

No...AMCs are not MOPARS...........But one thing is for sure....They were better than MOPARS.....in my opinion anyways........... :thumbup:

amx 07-31-2012 10:49 AM

mopars

Quote:

Originally Posted by poncho62 (Post 1020459)
No...AMCs are not MOPARS...........But one thing is for sure....They were better than MOPARS.....in my opinion anyways........... :thumbup:

mopars were rust buckets straight from the factory, AMC should have lived and MOPARS resigned to history

cobalt327 07-31-2012 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amx (Post 1578838)
mopars were rust buckets straight from the factory, AMC should have lived and MOPARS resigned to history

Real cute.http://www.chevelles.com/forums/imag...s/rolleyes.gif

Besides this thread being from '03 w/another life given to it in '08 and now 4 years later it rears its ugly head once again- your post has about as much usefulness/relevance as the proverbial teats on a boar.

poncho62 07-31-2012 02:25 PM

One poster was right, this belongs in the lounge, not the body forum. I dont think it was a real serious discussion to start with......

AMC made cars that were different, as did Studebaker and a few others.....Part of the reason they arent around anymore.....shame

Mojo56 08-01-2012 08:12 AM

Can a Spirit RT be a MOPAR as in the OP's screen name? I hope not.... well maybe but just barely.:spank:

MARTINSR 08-01-2012 08:17 AM

LOL, I am an outcast even to the AMC crowd because I drive a Rambler! LOL:D

I know one thing, these days, today, 8-1-2012 the lines between companies, all auto makers is so friggin gray it's crazy! I received some parts yesterday for a Suzuki sedan and the bumper was wrapped in a very proudly labeled "Genuine GM parts"! LOL, With Chrysler owning Mercedes, and Ford owning Jaguar, come on it's a different world.

Personally, in my world AMC is AMC and not Mopar.

Brian

farna 09-09-2012 05:00 PM

Oh, most car companies are "related". AMC has more Mopar relation than you think! For one, Walter P. Chrysler used to work for Charles Nash (founder of Nash, which later bought out Hudson to form AMC). Chrysler's first automotive job was working for Nash when Nash was president of Buick in 1911. Nash resigned when Durant got control of GM again, as Nash didn't like the way Durant ran things. Nash bought the Thomas B. Jeffery company (who made the first Ramblers) and formed Nash Motors in 1916. Chrysler stayed on to run Buick through 1919. Chrysler Corporation was formed in 1925.

Charles Nash kept in touch with Walter Chrysler over the years, and they obviously still held each other in high regard. When Nash decided to retire in 1936, he asked Chrysler for a recommendation for his successor. Chrysler suggested George Mason, who was running Kelvinator at the time. Mason was interested, but didn't want to leave Kelvinator. Apparently Nash was impressed, and trusted Chrysler. He simply bought Kelvinator and merged the two companies in order to get Mason!

Could you see one of the Ford execs advising GM on who should take over??

LATECH 09-10-2012 05:04 PM

AMC was bought by RENAULT before Iaccoca bought it for chrysler.
pretty ironic.