Hot Rod Forum banner

American Automotive Equipment lifts?

20K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  60srestorer 
#1 ·
I didn't find anything when I searched, so here goes. Anyone have any experience with lifts from American Automotive Equipment (AAE) or American Products lifts? The prices seem too good to be true (yeah, I know - that's why I'm asking), but frankly, if I can get an 11,000 lb lift for $1600 and I only use it for vehicles up to 5,000 lbs, that's still an additional 2:1 safety margin. This is the one I'm considering:

http://www.americanautomotiveequipment.com/AmericanProducts-Model-TP011-p/tp011-d.htm

See less See more
#3 ·
I have no doubt their imported. I'm tempted to say "so what?", but instead I'll just add this, from their "About Us" page:

"Would you like to see one of our car lifts, tire changers, or wheel balancers up close? You don’t have to just look at the pictures on our website – feel free to ask us for a reference! We most likely will have one that you can visit within 10 minutes of where you work or live."

I'd take them up on the offer.

#6 ·
cobalt327 said:
I have no doubt their imported. I'm tempted to say "so what?", but instead I'll just add this, from their "About Us" page:

"Would you like to see one of our car lifts, tire changers, or wheel balancers up close? You don’t have to just look at the pictures on our website – feel free to ask us for a reference! We most likely will have one that you can visit within 10 minutes of where you work or live."

Thanks, I completely overlooked that in the ad. I agree with you about the "so what". Frankly, even if the lift is made in the US, the steel almost certainly comes from China.

#7 ·
A quick phone call to their 1-800 number and they'll tell you these lifts are, "brought in". When pressed they'll finally admit they're made in China. I know as I just got off the phone with them.

Being made in China just means the materials could be (and probably are) substandard. It depends on which foundry the Chicoms used for the steel. Most of their foundries are crap but a couple, on paper at least, do meet US standards. Given that these lifts supposedly meet ISO standards the steel may actually come from one of these compliant foundries. At any rate, with a Chicom lift, I would purchase a heavier duty unit, at least one weight capacity more than you think you'll ever use, just to be safe.

#8 ·
You want 100 % US made with US materials and US workers, get a Worth Lift from, you guessed it, Ft Worth, Tx. I was leaning toward a Bend Pak before being steered to Worth and man there is such a difference in quality and design and has turned out to be almost the same bucks.

Trees

#9 ·
cobalt327 said:

I received an email from them a month ago. Seemed like a great price. I called the toll free number. Asked about references. Was told they would call back with a list of references in my area. Stopped waiting for that call 3 weeks ago.

#15 ·
Aerican Auotmotive equip't

Only problem with them is that - if you e-mail them like I did, you will have a free lifetime of reading every day about all their latest specials. :smash:

Never did buy anything from them and I eventually set my spam filter to weed out their "latest 'n' greatest deals" e-mails, but their bulldog persistence is a tad off-putting. :spank:

#17 ·
joe_padavano said:
I didn't find anything when I searched, so here goes. Anyone have any experience with lifts from American Automotive Equipment (AAE) or American Products lifts? The prices seem too good to be true (yeah, I know - that's why I'm asking), but frankly, if I can get an 11,000 lb lift for $1600 and I only use it for vehicles up to 5,000 lbs, that's still an additional 2:1 safety margin. This is the one I'm considering:

http://www.americanautomotiveequipment.com/AmericanProducts-Model-TP011-p/tp011-d.htm

I think you logic is flawed. If you are nervous about the quality of the lower rated lift, why would you think the 11000 is any better. Probably the same guys or machines welding them and testing them. You really cant be sure that it isn't the same lift with a larger cylinder, painted a different color.
An 11K lb lift for 1600 is very suspicious. I dont think Iwould want to work under it. We have a Mohawk and a Rotary and they both are well constructed.
You are playing with at best your car and at worst your life. You can buy a good lift for $3500-$5000, why mess around.

Another thing is the 2 cylinder lifts can be a pain in the butt. We had one and the two sides of the lift often would get out of sync, (one higher than the other) and you would have to put it all the way up and all the way down a couple time to get it back in synch

#18 ·
Hoists

AND - of course there is always the cheapest insurance - esp for a 4 post - available at your local Home Despot or Lowz or similar

Pick up 4 jackposts - the kind that support the mainbeam in many houses - put one under each corner - they will hold up to a zillion pounds each . The ones I use are rated to 8555 lb each, so 4 of 'em will ensure the whole shebang (she do?) won't come down on me, no matter what!

Just set the sliding parts to the "best size", put the big pin thru, then screw out the top part to get a snug fit between floor and the underside of the hoist.

Even the cheapest ricer hoist can hold for a long time if it isn't actually supporting anything!

I use'em even tho I have industrial hoists - cheap insurance!

#19 ·
Dave57210 said:
AND - of course there is always the cheapest insurance - esp for a 4 post - available at your local Home Despot or Lowz or similar
Yeah, I already figured on using tall jackstands like that, though the Home Depot solution is a very inexpensive option that I hadn't thought of. Thanks. I can see welding some stabilizing legs onto these jackposts.

#20 ·
2-post lift

HI; I agree that a US built lift would be the best choice; but being a lower budget father/son resto team; we went with a $1500 China unit. It's been in service for 2yrs. and 25 plus lifts of our 79 elky and 69 camaro restos, amoung others including full size pickups; we always put a 2-ton jackstand under each side; for insurance; after vehicle is up in the air. besafe John sr&jr

#21 ·
Not Recommended

The lift i purchased, (TP011X) is not anything i would recommend unless you plan to use it for some minor home projects. It is flimsy at best and scary at worst. It is supposed to be rated for 11,000 lbs but seems unstable with half that.
The customer service is equally disappointing. My lift was not shipped when promised, I was told 3 different stories, and was lied to about the shipping. I received NO INSTRUCTIONS with the lift and could not get anyone on the phone at 3:45pm on Sept. 22. When someone did answer, they just picked up and hung up, twice.
I had to research the the pump motor on google to see what type of fluid to use. That's when i found that it was made in
China.
I wish i had spent the extra $1300 for a Rotory Lift. I won't make the same mistake again!

#23 ·
American Automotive Equipment issues

Some of these posts sound all too familiar. I ordered a lift in February, it finally got delivered in March, (damaged), tried everything I know to get it replaced and it is still laying on my garage floor unused. Been lied to numerous times, every time I talk to them its another story. They've been promising to send a replacement for over 2 months and told me to keep calling every two weeks because the shipment (container) from China was not filled so there was delay after delays. Now they are telling me that they can't replace it, "we are so sorry". HA! Sorry, right, but in a different way. I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS COMPANY to my worst enemy. I don't care what kind of great deal they offer anyone, they should run screaming in the opposite direction!!! (I feel like a hot potato that has been passed around...no one wants to take responsibility for what happened) Now I have no other option but to seek legal action.

#24 ·
American autolifts

60srestorer said:
Some of these posts sound all too familiar. I ordered a lift in February, it finally got delivered in March, (damaged), tried everything I know to get it replaced and it is still laying on my garage floor unused. Been lied to numerous times, every time I talk to them its another story. They've been promising to send a replacement for over 2 months and told me to keep calling every two weeks because the shipment (container) from China was not filled so there was delay after delays. Now they are telling me that they can't replace it, "we are so sorry". HA! Sorry, right, but in a different way. I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS COMPANY to my worst enemy. I don't care what kind of great deal they offer anyone, they should run screaming in the opposite direction!!! (I feel like a hot potato that has been passed around...no one wants to take responsibility for what happened) Now I have no other option but to seek legal action.
BUT... I bet they still e-mail you daily or weekly reminders of what's on special this week and how great their service and equipment is! :mwink:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.