Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Garage - Tools (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/garage-tools/)
-   -   American Automotive Equipment lifts? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/american-automotive-equipment-lifts-183005.html)

joe_padavano 08-19-2010 06:11 PM

American Automotive Equipment lifts?

I didn't find anything when I searched, so here goes. Anyone have any experience with lifts from American Automotive Equipment (AAE) or American Products lifts? The prices seem too good to be true (yeah, I know - that's why I'm asking), but frankly, if I can get an 11,000 lb lift for $1600 and I only use it for vehicles up to 5,000 lbs, that's still an additional 2:1 safety margin. This is the one I'm considering:

http://www.americanautomotiveequipme...-p/tp011-d.htm

http://www.americanautomotiveequipme...TP011-D-2T.jpg

302 Z28 08-20-2010 08:20 AM

The name alone makes me a little suspicious, make sure they are not made in China.

Vince

cobalt327 08-20-2010 08:30 AM

I have no doubt their imported. I'm tempted to say "so what?", but instead I'll just add this, from their "About Us" page:

"Would you like to see one of our car lifts, tire changers, or wheel balancers up close? You donít have to just look at the pictures on our website Ė feel free to ask us for a reference! We most likely will have one that you can visit within 10 minutes of where you work or live."

I'd take them up on the offer.

OneMoreTime 08-20-2010 10:28 AM

please do a search on them as there was a while back a thread on some lift company that had poor business practice..Can't say for sure about their product..

Just so you don't get caught with these guys:

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/amer...tive+equipment

Sam

302 Z28 08-20-2010 10:54 AM

If I remember correctly it was a chicom lift and the lift stops were just welded onto the legs and were breaking off. :pain:

Vince

joe_padavano 08-20-2010 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cobalt327
I have no doubt their imported. I'm tempted to say "so what?", but instead I'll just add this, from their "About Us" page:

"Would you like to see one of our car lifts, tire changers, or wheel balancers up close? You donít have to just look at the pictures on our website Ė feel free to ask us for a reference! We most likely will have one that you can visit within 10 minutes of where you work or live."

Thanks, I completely overlooked that in the ad. I agree with you about the "so what". Frankly, even if the lift is made in the US, the steel almost certainly comes from China.

Centerline 08-20-2010 11:32 AM

A quick phone call to their 1-800 number and they'll tell you these lifts are, "brought in". When pressed they'll finally admit they're made in China. I know as I just got off the phone with them.

Being made in China just means the materials could be (and probably are) substandard. It depends on which foundry the Chicoms used for the steel. Most of their foundries are crap but a couple, on paper at least, do meet US standards. Given that these lifts supposedly meet ISO standards the steel may actually come from one of these compliant foundries. At any rate, with a Chicom lift, I would purchase a heavier duty unit, at least one weight capacity more than you think you'll ever use, just to be safe.

trees 08-20-2010 07:01 PM

You want 100 % US made with US materials and US workers, get a Worth Lift from, you guessed it, Ft Worth, Tx. I was leaning toward a Bend Pak before being steered to Worth and man there is such a difference in quality and design and has turned out to be almost the same bucks.

Trees

hp246 08-21-2010 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cobalt327

I received an email from them a month ago. Seemed like a great price. I called the toll free number. Asked about references. Was told they would call back with a list of references in my area. Stopped waiting for that call 3 weeks ago.

Jon 08-21-2010 12:29 PM

Maybe the process by which offshore-manufactured products are intentionally American-branded needs its own new term.

Perhaps "Ameriwashing"?

joe_padavano 08-21-2010 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Centerline
At any rate, with a Chicom lift, I would purchase a heavier duty unit, at least one weight capacity more than you think you'll ever use, just to be safe.

That was my point about getting an 11,000 lb lift.

302 Z28 08-21-2010 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
That was my point about getting an 11,000 lb lift.

That only works if the welds and metallurgy are up to par. :pain:

Vince

Overdriv 08-23-2010 08:20 PM

Not trying to hijack this thread but does anyone know anything about Rotary Lifts and Revolution Lifts.

If I should start a new thread, just say and I will.

joe_padavano 08-24-2010 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overdriv
Not trying to hijack this thread...

And yet, you DID! ;)

Dave57210 08-24-2010 10:02 PM

Aerican Auotmotive equip't

Only problem with them is that - if you e-mail them like I did, you will have a free lifetime of reading every day about all their latest specials. :smash:

Never did buy anything from them and I eventually set my spam filter to weed out their "latest 'n' greatest deals" e-mails, but their bulldog persistence is a tad off-putting. :spank: