Hot Rod Forum banner

American Grafitti Quiz.......

1K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  MARTINSR 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Damn it, 31/36. It's funny I was just talking to this girl, my Jr Prom date 1976. This was literally 2 hours ago. I hadn't seen her in person in just shy of 40 years! She was in town at a local high school car show with her husband with their very nice Model A. The reason I bring this up is at that prom in 1976 Wolfman Jack was there! He was upstairs at a bar in this hotel and one of my fellow students saw him in the elevator and got him into our prom to go up on stage and say a few words.

The other picture is me and my mistress Candy Clark. I got two full on body hugs from her that day, oh yeah, that was a good day.

American Graffiti was the first movie I ever bought on VHS around 1985 and it was the first I bought on DVD too. Had the album on 8 track, and vinyl, listened to it about every day for I don't know how long. I was at a showing of More American Graffiti at a drive in sitting next to one of the cars in the movie! The racing scenes were filmed at Fremont Dragstrip where I regularly raced. Why I wasn't there for the filming as many of my friends were is beyond me.

American Graffiti was a huge part of why I did what I do. I came home from seeing that film first run and went out to the yard where my brother had a 50 Dodge and I went to work to make a "Pharaohs" custom. I shaved the emblems from the hood, that was as far as I got, but it got me sparked up to do this stuff.

Brian

Attachments

#3 ·
Yeah, I was hoping to ace it. A couple ?s I had no clue....

That's a great story, Brian....

AG reminded me of the days when we cruzed hour after hour every Friday and Sat nite.....

Even tho my coupe isn't exactly like Milners, it's close enough.

Me and my daughter went cruzing most of the afternoon today. I was getting waves from the ladies. My daughter said, "What the heck?". Lol. I was smiling.......

Yeah, I can't see not having a car of some sort to play with. I'd give up my boat b/4 the car......

#5 ·
The 55 they rolled was a full cage race car. But then the funny part is the one that burns is a friggin 265 powerglide with a single exhaust and silver painted rims with the whitewalls turned in!

Brian

#6 ·
Forgot about google. Wouldn't have used it anyway.... We keep talking about it, I may have to slap in the DVD... :)

Big Star Wars fan too, so is my college daughter. They are making good new movies. That's one thing u don't want to do is screw up Star Wars....... It's still huge. And to think the 1st one was in '77. I was 15. Now my daughter is watching the same ones. They're timeless......

#7 ·
I notice most of you that responded are in your 50's those of us in our 70's that lived the era see both sides Graffiti One was on point as I was a High School Senior grad of the Class of '63,Graffiti Two hit home as well many of us were off to the military after High School and the beginning of the Viet Nam War. When I got out in '67 I came back to an America that had lost it's innocence sadly which is probably why some did not like the sequel but it showed how things can change in a short amount of time.

#8 · (Edited)
Being in Detroit area Michigan and living the hot rod life Building models in grade school and collecting pocket car magazines,and then Jr. high (late 50s) on, I saw Am.Gr.1 as a factual movie on the Hot rod scene except Detroit had beatniks ( I saw Ed Roth as a Beatnik LOL He fit right in the Detroit scene)!!!, and after high school I joined the Marine Corps at 17 and was in California quite a bit and lived there a while after leaving the Corps and Am.Gr.2 was almost spot on with the Hippy culture !! But back in Detroit there wasn't much Hippy culture at all even though it was booming in California! But in the later 60s 70s and even today the car culture cruising and racing Etc is still booming in the Detroit area and all over this state! The one thing I notice is that the most people involved in the car culture now are OLD like me LOL WE all have been living this life of cruising and HP and the smell of burned rubber for over 50 YRS LOL and still get a good feeling while watching American Graffiti , Hollywood Knights , Etc, Etc! But back then we didn't have these rice burners buzzing around bothering us :pain::mad::mwink:

These young guys don't know what a pocket car magazine is LOL

Jester :thumbup:

#13 ·
I remember my brother saying when this movie was brand new how you could see in Milner's eyes how disgusted he was as he looked at the over at the flipped over 55 and saw that he was almost beat by a 265 with a powerglide. LOL My brother saw that I think the first time he saw the movie.

Brian

Reactions: 496CHEVY3100
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.