American Heart transplant: Toyota needs a SBC... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2011, 04:50 PM

Last journal entry: American Heart Transplant: Toyota FJ60
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

American Heart transplant: Toyota needs a SBC...

Hello everybody,
My name is Dan.
I have a 1985 Toyota landcruiser that is my project/'hot rod'.
Long story short, It will soon recieve an american style heart transplant

I finally have some time to start thinking about engine options and I have been doing alot of research and learning alot. First off I should mention I've never built a sbc, but I have some experience rebuilding engine (2 stroke evinrude, dirtbikes, etc). I came here to hopefully get some a advice/direction from the veterans. I'll spell out my goals for this project, and let ya'll weigh in.

Intended use of vehicle:
It will be built as a utilitarian vehicle that must be capable of 4x4, towing, DD, be able to run from 0-10,000 ft, get decent mpg, and be reapirable in the field in the middle of no-where.

Goals (in order of importance):
Reliability
Driveability
Repairability (in middle of no-where)
Cost
Ease of swap and repair

My thoughts so far:

I'm leaning heavily toward a 350 sbc, with vortec heads, small cam, and tbi system. I think tbi is best suited for my intended purpose of the vehicle because it will run at all elevations and angles, I can replace all electronics and fuel pump (external) in the field (carry spares), very simple to install and proven to be reliable. Problems are having to bore TB and have a custom chip burned. It doesnt sound too bad, tbichips.com comes highly reccomended, and provides ample resources.

Another option is gen III sbc (5.3). I'm not really leaning this way due to nessesity of high pressure fuel system (indoubtedly requiring in-tank pump=no field replacement), complexity of install and more parts to fail in total.

Carb sbc would undeniably be the most simple install and setup, but I have worries about elevation changes and driveability as a DD.

What do all the experts think? Any input is much appreciated.

Regards

Dan

Advertisement

Last edited by dbleon; 01-23-2011 at 04:56 PM. Reason: add photo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2011, 05:04 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

I would think a 300 inch ford six with efi would be close to what you are after.
Its a heavy duty six, comes with efi, parts are everywhere,there a pretty common engine. Probably would fit well and have equal weight distribution as the original motor.
A small block chevy would probably fit though, if you have your heart set on it.I am sure someone makes adapters for both actually.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:14 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

If it were I, I would drop a 4.3 Chevy V6 in. That would be far easier than a small block. The benefits of it are you can build a 4.3 that will make good power plus decent fuel economy. Get a set of 1996 and up Vortec heads for it, hotter replacement OEM roller cam in place of the round lobe roller they come with, a set of headers and a few other odds and ends and your ready to rock. a 4.3 would likely give you ample room plus the radiator doesn`t have to be huge to keep it cool.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:30 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for the quick response guys!

For the motor options mentioned, I'm getting rid of th 2f (inline 6) because it is way underpowered. It still runs perfect and is regarded as one of the most durable/reliable engines availiable throughout the world. The ford 300 would be a downgrade IMO. As for the 4.3, many landcruiser enthusianst have done it and felt it was much underpowered for the vehicle (@ ~6k lbs loaded). Plus Im going to run 35's eventually.

SBC 350 swaps are very popular and well documented in the 60 series landcruiser. They fit VERY well, are cooled by the stock heavy-duty radiator, and swap parts/adapters are readily availiable. the SBC is by far the most common and most effective swap in the fj60.

What I really need advice on is which direction to take the motor build... TBI? MPFI? Carb? Leaning heavily toward TBI.

Where to start with motor. Buy used block and rebuild ground up? Or try to find low mile longblock and go from there. Having a rebuilt motor to start would offer me some peace of mind, but cost might be too much?

So many options....
Old 01-23-2011, 05:33 PM

Last photo:

You won't like the price of a hotrod 4.3. Try http://www.northwestoffroad.com/parts/engineswap.html or http://www.mindspring.com/~jayk3/toyota/swaps.htm
Old 01-23-2011, 05:44 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbleon
Thanks for the quick response guys!

For the motor options mentioned, I'm getting rid of th 2f (inline 6) because it is way underpowered. It still runs perfect and is regarded as one of the most durable/reliable engines availiable throughout the world. The ford 300 would be a downgrade IMO. As for the 4.3, many landcruiser enthusianst have done it and felt it was much underpowered for the vehicle (@ ~6k lbs loaded). Plus Im going to run 35's eventually.

SBC 350 swaps are very popular and well documented in the 60 series landcruiser. They fit VERY well, are cooled by the stock heavy-duty radiator, and swap parts/adapters are readily availiable. the SBC is by far the most common and most effective swap in the fj60.

What I really need advice on is which direction to take the motor build... TBI? MPFI? Carb? Leaning heavily toward TBI.

Where to start with motor. Buy used block and rebuild ground up? Or try to find low mile longblock and go from there. Having a rebuilt motor to start would offer me some peace of mind, but cost might be too much?

So many options....
If you want street performance with a 6000 lb vehicle your gonna need a big block.ford chev dodge whatev. if you want a mountain goat all you need is an engine and some good gearing, like it has. Trying to make that thing FAST on the street will take a lot away from the driveablility of mountain climbing and a small block has to work pretty hard to pull those big mudder/ swamper tires you speak of.
Fuel injection is the only way to go when offroading.carberators are too susceptable to stalling and boggin when the vehicle is at some of the extreme inclines and angles that are encountered off road.
The ford motor would be a downgrade, the motor that is in it is the best one for it.
The fuel well inthat carb is made pretty deep to overcome the effects of inclines and crossangles encountered on the slopes.

Last edited by latech; 01-23-2011 at 05:52 PM.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:50 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

That thing is in real nice shape. You could probably sell it for enough to buy a decnt suburban with aBBC and 4x4. I know a lot of people really like the landcruisers, its probably worth quite a bit.
I really like it alot. I wish I had some cash I would make you an offer. Its in very good shape.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:01 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by latech
That thing is in real nice shape. You could probably sell it for enough to buy a decnt suburban with aBBC and 4x4. I know a lot of people really like the landcruisers, its probably worth quite a bit.
I really like it alot. I wish I had some cash I would make you an offer. Its in very good shape.
OH NO... never selling this rig. I'm emotionally attached.

I dont need something thats 'fast'... I really dont care about that. I need it to do 75 mph, and pull it's weight. The reason the 2f is getting pulled is because it has a top speed of 55 mph, is gutless, and get 10 mpg on a good day... I know the 2f is great for trail work, but I want to build an all around great utilitarian vehicle: drive on the highway at 75 mph, pull loads, 4x4 well, reliable, decent mpg......etc.etc It seems like a no brainer to me.

If it spent 90% it's time in the mountains I would keep the 2f...
Old 01-23-2011, 06:02 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

OH Man, I can see the big block bulging as we speak.
A 500 caddy would have so much grunt to pull that down the road, it would be scary
Old 01-23-2011, 08:44 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

FWIW ... my vote would be a GMPP 350 Ramjet. @ 350 HP.

As the OP has pointed out, things like engine mounts and headers, etc are all readily availabe.

SBC parts can also be gotten at almost any jerkwater hamlet from coast-to-coast.

My little brudder put one of these engines in a 1992 Chevy short-box, and it's a runner!
Old 01-24-2011, 08:52 AM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

If you want to make it reliable, inexpensive, and easy to swap, then go find a good donor vehicle with a 350 and TBI. You'll need a computer from the vehicle anyway, so by the time you bought an engine, rebuilt it, bought a brain, TBI, etc. it would be too expensive, and a mismatch of parts.
You can probably find a wrecked car or truck with a Vortec 350 in good shape for well under $2,000. Then just take whatever you need for your vehicle and sell the rest for parts to recoup some funds.
A wrecked vehicle has the advantage of being able to start it up, and maybe even drive it before deciding to buy.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:10 AM
I don't understand?

Last journal entry: this is only a test
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by latech
i wouldnt trade 2 suburbans for a toyota
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4runner.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	394.1 KB
ID:	51887  
Old 01-24-2011, 09:13 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

A 350 sbc won't cut it. The guys that are big fans of them are driving around in 3,000 pound cars, not 6,000 pounds. If you really want power and decent mileage you need to swap to a diesel- which will increase your front end weight by a good bit. If you just want something to cruise through the trails in I'd just do a good thorough rebuild of what you have. To do what you want well you need a good turbo diesel. And swapping a complete drivetrain will not be cheap, even if you keep everything stock that you can I'd expect a diesel swap to run you about 3-4 grand before you're done, and that's if you can find a good deal on a running drivetrain.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:17 AM
I don't understand?

Last journal entry: this is only a test
Last photo:

i think a 350 would be perfect
Old 01-24-2011, 12:42 PM

66GMC has a good potential solution. The RamJet 350 is a really nice, simple to install system. Be sure to get the current wiring harness with the O2 sensor and closed loop feedback to the controller. Some older inventory with the earlier harness might still be hanging around in inventory somewhere.

Pat

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.